The Student Room Group

Accommodation

Hi, for next year, I am thinking to move out from home to accommodation near to university, however, I was thinking to move out to my sister flat as it is short distance from my university, will I be available to pay for (Living away from home, outside London) Grants as I will still needs to pay her rent monthly, this is my first time, I am moving out so I don't know how student loan works with student accommodation.
Yes, you will. You are renting/actively paying for a place so you will. Imagine if you moved into a private flat, not a Uni accommodated one, you would still have to pay. Hope that helps :smile:
Are you an english student studying at an english uni and receiving student finance maintainence loans? :confused:
Reply 3
Original post by londonmyst
Are you an english student studying at an english uni and receiving student finance maintainence loans? :confused:

Yes, I am British, Receiving student finance, that's why I asked if I would get it for living at my sister flat and paying rent to her.
Original post by Anonymous
Yes, I am British, Receiving student finance, that's why I asked if I would get it for living at my sister flat and paying rent to her.

If you have been receiving maintainence loan since your first term at uni, you will continue to receive it.
There is a chance that student finance england may increase your maintainence loan eligibility for next year, when you update them that you will be moving to live away from your parents home.

Student Finance don't get involved with what you do with your loan money - you can save it or splash it on a shopping spree for all they care. They only ask for evidence on your parental household income to work out how much you're eligible to borrow.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by londonmyst
If you have been receiving maintainence loan since your first term at uni, you will continue to receive it.
There is a chance that student finance england may increase your maintainence loan eligibility for next year, when you update them that you will be moving to live away from your parents home.

I am currently in my 2nd year. Going 3rd year this September. 1st and 2nd year been living with parents as 3rd year is important I need to move closer to uni and my sister flat is close just 10 to 15 minutes drive from University. In 3rd year we get much less loan compare to other students. (£8,883) I think it shows on my screen I would get for living away from home.
Reply 7
Original post by JOSH4598
Student Finance don't get involved with what you do with your loan money - you can save it or splash it on a shopping spree for all they care. They only ask for evidence on your parental household income to work out how much you're eligible to borrow.

They would care to know if you are living at correct accommodation or not because i think if you liar to them and claim more you will pay back that extra money.
They would care to know if you are living at correct accommodation or not because i think if you liar to them and claim more you will pay back that extra money.

"Correct aommodation"?! What do you mean by that? Student Finance don't monitor where you're sleeping. They're meerly a finance organisation not some sort of surveillance agency.

You'll be eligible for a set figure for your maintenance loan. SFE pay that figure in three instalments across the year. You repay SFE small amount in the future when you're working. There's nothing more to it than that. They couldn't care less what you do with the money.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by JOSH4598
"Correct aommodation"?! What do you mean by that? Student Finance don't monitor where you're sleeping. They're merely a finance organisation not some sort of surveillance agency.

You'll be eligible for a set figure for your maintenance loan. SFE pay that figure in three instalments across the year. You repay SFE small amount in the future when you're working. There's nothing more to it than that. They couldn't care less what you do with the money. Even if you lived at home and had no expenditure whatsoever, you'd still be eligible for the same amount.

i agree; there is absolotly NO 'correct accomidation'.
Student Finance England give you a maintenance loan of a set amount dependent on parents income; where you will be staying (as in either at home or not) and if you are in London or not. Then the money is yours; do what you want with it. when you earn above a certain amount (after leaving uni obvs) you start to pay it back in small amounts unless it has been 30 years and you haven't paid any back at which point the loan is completely done with and you don't have to pay any back.
Original post by oliviapig
i agree; there is absolotly NO 'correct accomidation'.
Student Finance England give you a maintenance loan of a set amount dependent on parents income; where you will be staying (as in either at home or not) and if you are in London or not. Then the money is yours; do what you want with it. when you earn above a certain amount (after leaving uni obvs) you start to pay it back in small amounts unless it has been 30 years and you haven't paid any back at which point the loan is completely done with and you don't have to pay any back.

Pretty much yeah - I think OP is a bit confused as to what SFE actually do.

Quick Reply

Latest