The Student Room Group

choosing a uni

hi, i have received all of my university offers from the UK and i'm not sure which one i should choose. i applied for biochemistry and i have received offers from kings, warwick, bath, liverpool and cardiff. i think kings looks like the most apparent answer but it is so expensive and i don't know if it is worth it. the other universities are pretty good too and i'm having a hard time choosing which one to firm. please help me !!!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by dinoc
hi, i have received all of my university offers from the UK and i'm not sure which one i should choose. i applied for biochemistry and i have received offers from kings, warwick, bath, liverpool and cardiff. i think kings looks like the most apparent answer but it is so expensive and i don't know if it is worth it. the other universities are pretty good too and i'm having a hard time choosing which one to firm. please help me !!!

If the advantages of each university don’t help you choose, then look more at where they are based and what your life around uni will be like. What is the students Union like and are there societies you can join to make friends? Where would you be living? How far is the walk to the nearest supermarket? What kind of clubs, shops and social activities are nearby?
No one here can tell you which university is best for you because only you know your priorities. If you look at prestige, night life, sports, accommodation and workload etc and two unis seem the same just pick one. I was stuck between two unis and I just picked one cos I decided "What the hell, the main decider of my uni experience will be how I behave at uni and if there is a difference it is not significant"
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by The yung bean
No one here can tell you which university is best for you because only you know your priorities. If you look at prestige, night life, sports, accommodation and workload etc and two unis seem the same just pick one. I was stuck between two unis and I just picked one cos I decided "What the hell, the main decider of my uni experience will be how I behave at uni and if there is a difference it is not significant"

does the prestige or ranking really matter? like how much of a difference does it make in terms of life after university or like what i study? because out of my options, the most prestigious option is kings but it is so expensive and i'm not entirely sure if it is the best option for me.
Original post by dinoc
does the prestige or ranking really matter? like how much of a difference does it make in terms of life after university or like what i study? because out of my options, the most prestigious option is kings but it is so expensive and i'm not entirely sure if it is the best option for me.

Prestige definitely isn’t everything. However ranking by students for quality of course delivery and support are definitely important.
Reply 5
Why does King's look like the most apparent answer to you?
Reply 6
Original post by Sinnoh
Why does King's look like the most apparent answer to you?

because it's one of the top universities in the UK and out of all my options it's highest-ranked, even in my course. i also think the graduate prospects are really good and overall it seems pretty nice but i don't really know, you can prove me wrong if you want haha. i'm really new to this university stuff.
Reply 7
Original post by carrotstar
Prestige definitely isn’t everything. However ranking by students for quality of course delivery and support are definitely important.

which ranking website is the most reliable? also what university and course are you in and how did you pick your university?
It will be cheaper living outside London - and any of those other Unis will be 'good' for Biochem.
Have a look at the Campus Tour films on YouTube to get an idea of what each looks like and 'feels' like - Bristol is city-centre campus, Warwick is actually a campus Uni outside Coventry, Bath is a modern campus just outside a smaller city, Cardiff is similar to Bristol - older Uni in urban location.

Also look at the Tourist films for each city of YouTube to see what the environment would be like.
Here is the one for Bristol : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khM7tjui86Q
Reply 9
Original post by dinoc
which ranking website is the most reliable? also what university and course are you in and how did you pick your university?

Original post by dinoc
because it's one of the top universities in the UK and out of all my options it's highest-ranked, even in my course. i also think the graduate prospects are really good and overall it seems pretty nice but i don't really know, you can prove me wrong if you want haha. i'm really new to this university stuff.

In UK rankings (Complete University Guide and the Guardian tables) Warwick is higher in biosciences and chemistry, but rankings aren't something to look deep into anyway - they can change quite a lot in a few years. Sometimes they'll move from 5th to 25th (or the other direction) within the duration of an undergraduate degree. But it doesn't mean that suddenly 20 universities are better for that course now. I've also noticed international rankings are more favourable to London unis than domestic rankings.

If the courses all seem equally good to you, then you need to pick based on other things, like what carrotstar said. Warwick will be a very different environment and place to live compared to King's, which will be pretty different from Bath or Cardiff.
Original post by Sinnoh
In UK rankings

Rankings can never tell you if you will enjoy the course or like being at that University.
Reply 11
Original post by McGinger
It will be cheaper living outside London - and any of those other Unis will be 'good' for Biochem.
Have a look at the Campus Tour films on YouTube to get an idea of what each looks like and 'feels' like - Bristol is city-centre campus, Warwick is actually a campus Uni outside Coventry, Bath is a modern campus just outside a smaller city, Cardiff is similar to Bristol - older Uni in urban location.

Also look at the Tourist films for each city of YouTube to see what the environment would be like.
Here is the one for Bristol : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khM7tjui86Q

i'm just worried that my opportunities would not be as good compared to london and i guess london universities have been so hyped up for me that i just feel like i should go there. i do like bath's environment but i wasn't entirely sure if it was good for biochemistry. also i didn't get an offer from bristol, it was liverpool, but thanks anyways!
Reply 12
Original post by Sinnoh
In UK rankings (Complete University Guide and the Guardian tables) Warwick is higher in biosciences and chemistry, but rankings aren't something to look deep into anyway - they can change quite a lot in a few years. Sometimes they'll move from 5th to 25th (or the other direction) within the duration of an undergraduate degree. But it doesn't mean that suddenly 20 universities are better for that course now. I've also noticed international rankings are more favourable to London unis than domestic rankings.

If the courses all seem equally good to you, then you need to pick based on other things, like what carrotstar said. Warwick will be a very different environment and place to live compared to King's, which will be pretty different from Bath or Cardiff.

that's true, also apparently the life in Warwick isn't that favourable so i don't particularly want to go there haha. i don't really know much about the environments in Cardiff and Liverpool compared to bath and kings so I've been leaning towards these 2 options and because they also have the higher grade requirements so i would properly put cardiff or Liverpool as my insurance. do you know anything about cardiff or Liverpool and if they are good? i haven't been able to attend any talks by them yet
Reply 13
Original post by McGinger
Rankings can never tell you if you will enjoy the course or like being at that University.

that's a very good point, thanks!
Reply 14
Original post by dinoc
that's true, also apparently the life in Warwick isn't that favourable so i don't particularly want to go there haha. i don't really know much about the environments in Cardiff and Liverpool compared to bath and kings so I've been leaning towards these 2 options and because they also have the higher grade requirements so i would properly put cardiff or Liverpool as my insurance. do you know anything about cardiff or Liverpool and if they are good? i haven't been able to attend any talks by them yet

I know that Cardiff is a very nice city, according to people I know who have been there, but I don't know much about the university.
Reply 15
Original post by Sinnoh
I know that Cardiff is a very nice city, according to people I know who have been there, but I don't know much about the university.

oh i see... thank you so much for your advice!!
Original post by dinoc

To me this looks like you really like it and so I would accept them. You can always get student finance either for tuition fee or living costs if it's more expensive
Reply 17
Original post by oliviapig
To me this looks like you really like it and so I would accept them. You can always get student finance either for tuition fee or living costs if it's more expensive

I can't get student finance because I am an international student :/. I do like kings but i also do like bath a lot and honestly I was just bummed that I couldn't go to kings cause it is a high ranking uni and kind of a flex haha idk. But I've decided on bath and I'm very happy about it now!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending