chocobi
Badges: 12
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I'm thinking of withdrawing from my BSc Economics place at UCL. This is so that I can take a year out to self-study A-Level Physics and reapply for mechanical engineering instead. However, teaching myself A2 physics up to an A* standard in one year will be very, very tough, and I might not get into a university I'm happy with (thinking of Bath, Imperial, Bristol etc.)

I'm not sure how universities would view an application like mine either.

I just really want to do a practical/applied maths degree and have always regretted not taking physics at A-Level. Is the risk worth it or should I just accept life as it is? I'm just not sure if I should let my regrets snowball any longer.
remsik02
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by chocobi)
I'm thinking of withdrawing from my BSc Economics place at UCL. This is so that I can take a year out to self-study A-Level Physics and reapply for mechanical engineering instead. However, teaching myself A2 physics up to an A* standard in one year will be very, very tough, and I might not get into a university I'm happy with (thinking of Bath, Imperial, Bristol etc.)

I just really want to do a practical/applied maths degree and have always regretted not taking physics at A-Level. Is the risk worth it or should I just accept life as it is? I'm just not sure if I should let my regrets snowball any longer.
With something like this you need real conviction and need to be 100% committed to the cause, follow what you think is right for yourself. You will have your alevels you have already done to aid you in another UCAS application though you will probably need to stay incontact with your school/college for future references
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
what are you current a levels and grades?
chocobi
(Original post by ajj2000)
what are you current a levels and grades?
Predicted: A*A*A
Already achieved: A* and another A* in EPQ

But I haven't done a science A-Level yet and that worries me.
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Predicted: A*A*A
Already achieved: A* and another A* in EPQ

But I haven't done a science A-Level yet and that worries me.
Which subjects at A level?
chocobi
Which subjects at A level?
Maths, History, English Literature
Smack
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

Is there not enough applied maths in your economics degree for your liking? Also, you've said you'd like to do an applied maths degree, what about applying directly to a maths degree (but one that's more applied)? Would that still require physics?
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Maths, History, English Literature
Thats impressive. How were you planning to study physics a level? What attracts you to Mech E?
chocobi
Thats impressive. How were you planning to study physics a level? What attracts you to Mech E?
I was thinking of buying the textbook and workbook then going through them intensely, with the help of online resources such as videos and past exam papers. However, not having a teacher to give me sound tips would be a big disadvantage.

With mechanical engineering, I'm mostly attracted to figuring how things work and the designing aspect. I prefer mechanical maths over statistical maths too. It's something I find actual value in learning and I feel like it would be knowledge that helps me through life and hobbies, not just employment.
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I was thinking of buying the textbook and workbook then going through them intensely, with the help of online resources such as videos and past exam papers. However, not having a teacher to give me sound tips would be a big disadvantage.

With mechanical engineering, I'm mostly attracted to figuring how things work and the designing aspect. I prefer mechanical maths over statistical maths too. It's something I find actual value in learning and I feel like it would be knowledge that helps me through life and hobbies, not just employment.
Cool - my only concern with A level physics is you need to figure out what to do about practicals. Not sure if this has changed but people found it a barrier in the past. Just wondering if a foundation year might work out a little easier?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (22)
6.21%
Uncertainty around my education (38)
10.73%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (41)
11.58%
Lack of purpose or motivation (48)
13.56%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (18)
5.08%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (16)
4.52%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (37)
10.45%
Financial worries (25)
7.06%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (15)
4.24%
Exposure to negative news/social media (22)
6.21%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (10)
2.82%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (36)
10.17%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (26)
7.34%

Watched Threads