The Student Room Group

Can I study ten gcse subjects within six months(or a year)?

Hi i know most people got around 10 gcses or more but it is possible to revise 10 gcse subjects in the space of 6 months to a year or is it only possible to spread it out over two years?
want to revise subjects in:
english language
english literature
mathematics
combined science trilogy
history
religous studies
computer science
pyschology
sociology
optional :
seperate sciences if passed combined science trilogy
french
spanish
All subjects? Impossible in my opinion. Things like math require quite a good amount of practice. English language and literature are going to have poems, novels you need to analyse and know well. Science you have all the theory and past papers to do. I think, do some, like 4 or 5, the easiest ones, and those that require the least amount of time one year, and leave the rest (while revising for them in the first year) to the second year.
(edited 2 years ago)
You can revise them easily in 6 months/a year, but you wouldn’t be able to learn all the content in that time frame if that’s what you mean?
Original post by sweetescobar
All subjects? Impossible in my opinion. Things like math require quite a good amount of practice. English language and literature are going to have poems, novels you need to analyse and know well. Science you have all the theory and past papers to do. I think, do some, like 4 or 5, the easiest ones, and those that require the least amount of time one year, and leave the rest (while revising for them in the first year) to the second year.

I understand and thank you for your honest opinion.
Reply 4
It depends how much you know at the start of these 6 months.

Also, why 10 GCSEs? Nowhere ever expects you to have more than 8 and few people have more than 10 these day - these days quality is much preferred over quantity.

When is this 6 month period ? GCSEs can normally only be taken in May/June so you have about a year before your next chance.

How are you studying these GCSEs? Some of them are very hard to achieve if you're a private candidate because of the NEA
Original post by Compost
It depends how much you know at the start of these 6 months.

Also, why 10 GCSEs? Nowhere ever expects you to have more than 8 and few people have more than 10 these day - these days quality is much preferred over quantity.

When is this 6 month period ? GCSEs can normally only be taken in May/June so you have about a year before your next chance.

How are you studying these GCSEs? Some of them are very hard to achieve if you're a private candidate because of the NEA

Original post by glamourprincess
Hi i know most people got around 10 gcses or more but it is possible to revise 10 gcse subjects in the space of 6 months to a year or is it only possible to spread it out over two years?
want to revise subjects in:
english language
english literature
mathematics
combined science trilogy
history
religous studies
computer science
pyschology
sociology
optional :
seperate sciences if passed combined science trilogy
french
spanish

I guess u want to take the GCSE exams in November?

Why do u want to take so many GCSEs. even if u did 7-8 its fine. a friend of mine did 6 (i think thats the absolute minimum)

How much content have u covered already from these subjects. if u only want to revise then its completely possible. If u want to start from scratch then its very difficult basically impossible.
Do you really need 10 GCSEs? I think 7 or 8 is fine, indeed were it my calling (I am never going to be Education Secretary) I would restrict the number of exams anyone could take in a year.
the gcse exams is in november this year and got the option to sit again next summer,
so is it better to practise for the exams rather than learn all the content as im a private candidate/ self studying?
the gcse exams is in november this year and got the option to sit again next summer,
so is it better to practise for the exams rather than learn all the content as im a private candidate/ self studying?

what do you mean by practicing for the exams rather than learning all the content.
have u covered all of the content before?
Original post by sos11111
what do you mean by practicing for the exams rather than learning all the content.
have u covered all of the content before?

not really just wondering which is quicker
not really just wondering which is quicker

well maybe since u do have 6 months briefly cover all of the content (not in too much detail) and then do exam practice. by exam practice I mean going through all the past papers as many of exams u can find and going through them. This way u can discover any weaknesses and go through only those topics in detail
Original post by sos11111
well maybe since u do have 6 months briefly cover all of the content (not in too much detail) and then do exam practice. by exam practice I mean going through all the past papers as many of exams u can find and going through them. This way u can discover any weaknesses and go through only those topics in detail

thank you

Last year you could only take exam sin the Autumn if you have been entered in the Summer and wanted to re-sit or there was a reason why they hadn't been able to give you a grade. I am fairly sure it is the same this year so your first chance to take anything will be Summer 2022 (unless you are over 16 in which case you could take Maths and/or English Language in November).

Last year you could only take exams in the Autumn if you had been entered in the Summer and wanted to re-sit or there was a reason why they hadn't been able to give you a grade. I am fairly sure it is the same this year so your first chance to take anything will be Summer 2022 (unless you are over 16 in which case you could take Maths and/or English Language in November).
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Compost
Last year you could only take exams in the Autumn if you had been entered in the Summer and wanted to re-sit or there was a reason why they hadn't been able to give you a grade. I am fairly sure it is the same this year so your first chance to take anything will be Summer 2022 (unless you are over 16 in which case you could take Maths and/or English Language in November).

Im actually doing the same thing. (all of my GCSE exams in November for the first time)

I contacted a private school that takes external candidates and they said its possible for me to do this as long as I am over 16 before then. They also said they can make arrangements for all of my subjects.

I think its different this year to make it easier for private candidates who cant sit in summer 2021

Quick Reply

Latest