The Student Room Group

GCSE Maths Exam Board for an Irish student?

(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by FD2906
Hi guys,
At the end of May, I would have finished my Junior Certificate in Ireland and I am willing to spend the majority of next year focussing on GCSE Maths as I will be applying to a large number of UK universities.

I would really appreciate it if you guys could point out the most common exam board and the textbooks you use in school in preparation for the GCSE Maths finals. Please note that I'm interested in Higher textbooks, not Foundation level.

I am looking into the OCR board primarily because its published by three very influential universities in the UK but if there's a common exam board that everyone's using and preparing towards I'd be willing to look into that as well.

Cheers

The most used exam board for GCSE maths is Edexcel which means you'll find more resources for that exam board. So I generally recommend Edexcel even though they're all the same content wise. The main textbook is fine:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-GCSE-9-1-Mathematics-Student/dp/1447980204/ref=asc_df_1447980204/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310783995501&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17354619617527086670&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045958&hvtargid=pla-464815845049&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

A textbook published by Cambridge University Press isn't a reason to choose an exam board in my opinion.
Reply 2
Original post by Notnek

A textbook published by Cambridge University Press isn't a reason to choose an exam board in my opinion.

got to be better than something published by that other place, surely? :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest