The Student Room Group

Data Set on Immigration into the UK from EU countries

I'm looking for data on immigration into the UK. I'm looking on Euro stat and LFS etc but it just gives overall immigration number and not a breakdown of number of immigrants from each specific EU country. where can i find this data?
Original post by Ibrahim123456789
I'm looking for data on immigration into the UK. I'm looking on Euro stat and LFS etc but it just gives overall immigration number and not a breakdown of number of immigrants from each specific EU country. where can i find this data?

The Government Migration Statistics are the best place to look.

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/migration-statistics

Remember, however that until Brexit, you are only surveying people not counting them. A Frenchman turns up at Dover. He didn't have to justify to Border Control whether he was coming for the rest of his life, for a two week holiday in Cornwall or a day trip to M & S in Canterbury to buy Y-fronts. The Government conducted surveys to get to the bottom of why people were travelling and where from but that is not the same level of information that would exist for people needing visas and work permits. Remember also that that the Government has always been far better on collecting data on arrivals rather than departures and has been poor in removing the duplication involved in re-entrants.

The figures for the EU Settlement Scheme are likely to be reliable for people who arrived before 2020 and hadn't left before 2018. It won't deduct people who applied under the Scheme but who have left since 2018. You will need to add those who have arrived under work permit schemes in 2021 (likely to be few). Moreover the figures for Ireland are low because the only Irish people who will apply under the scheme are the confused and those with non-EU dependents.
You can find data on EU and non-EU citizens who used the EUSS on the UK government website (link posted by poster above). This would capture EU citizens who recently established residence in the UK via EU rules under the EUSS scheme (It would not capture the EU citizens who obtained permanent residence via the older scheme). The data would also not capture non-EU nationals who obtained permanent residence via EU rules before the EUSS came into place. In summary, just under 5 million nationals have applied to the EUSS scheme (around 4.6M of those being EU nationals and another 0.3M nationals being non-EU). Application rejection/refusal rate running is around 3%.
Original post by nulli tertius
The Government Migration Statistics are the best place to look.

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/migration-statistics

Remember, however that until Brexit, you are only surveying people not counting them. A Frenchman turns up at Dover. He didn't have to justify to Border Control whether he was coming for the rest of his life, for a two week holiday in Cornwall or a day trip to M & S in Canterbury to buy Y-fronts. The Government conducted surveys to get to the bottom of why people were travelling and where from but that is not the same level of information that would exist for people needing visas and work permits. Remember also that that the Government has always been far better on collecting data on arrivals rather than departures and has been poor in removing the duplication involved in re-entrants.

The figures for the EU Settlement Scheme are likely to be reliable for people who arrived before 2020 and hadn't left before 2018. It won't deduct people who applied under the Scheme but who have left since 2018. You will need to add those who have arrived under work permit schemes in 2021 (likely to be few). Moreover the figures for Ireland are low because the only Irish people who will apply under the scheme are the confused and those with non-EU dependents.

Well put but I doubt French men wear Y fronts.
Original post by History98
You can find data on EU and non-EU citizens who used the EUSS on the UK government website (link posted by poster above). This would capture EU citizens who recently established residence in the UK via EU rules under the EUSS scheme (It would not capture the EU citizens who obtained permanent residence via the older scheme). The data would also not capture non-EU nationals who obtained permanent residence via EU rules before the EUSS came into place. In summary, just under 5 million nationals have applied to the EUSS scheme (around 4.6M of those being EU nationals and another 0.3M nationals being non-EU). Application rejection/refusal rate running is around 3%.

No. The older scheme grinds to a halt on 30 June 2021.

https://www.gov.uk/permanent-residence-document-eu-eea

I accept that there will be a group of people who are mistaken in the same way that you are and fail to apply under the new scheme by 30 June 2021.

These mistaken people may well have been here under short term immigration arrangements pre-dating 1 January 1973 which they did not need to subsequently renew. Effectively the only Europeans who do not apply for settled or pre-settled status who are "safe" are those who have taken out UK or Irish citizenship or those who obtained indefinite leave to remain (if they can document it bearing in mind that this used just to be a rubber stamp in a passport) before their countries joined the EU.This will be the next immigration scandal. Expect to see a lot of Italians facing deportation.
Original post by nulli tertius
No. The older scheme grinds to a halt on 30 June 2021.

https://www.gov.uk/permanent-residence-document-eu-eea

I accept that there will be a group of people who are mistaken in the same way that you are and fail to apply under the new scheme by 30 June 2021.

These mistaken people may well have been here under short term immigration arrangements pre-dating 1 January 1973 which they did not need to subsequently renew. Effectively the only Europeans who do not apply for settled or pre-settled status who are "safe" are those who have taken out UK or Irish citizenship or those who obtained indefinite leave to remain (if they can document it bearing in mind that this used just to be a rubber stamp in a passport) before their countries joined the EU.This will be the next immigration scandal. Expect to see a lot of Italians facing deportation.

Yes but an EU national only needed to hold PR for 12 months before acquiring British citizenship, after acquiring British citizenship you do not need to apply for the EUSS scheme. I have no idea how many EU/non-EU citizens have acquired British citizenship over the years (perhaps the naturalisation data might provide some hints) but all those naturalised people would not be captured by the EUSS data even if they moved to the UK via EU rules.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by History98
Yes but an EU national only needed to hold PR for 12 months before acquiring British citizenship, after acquiring British citizenship you do not need to apply for the EUSS scheme. I have no idea how many EU/non-EU citizens have acquired British citizenship over the years (perhaps the naturalisation data might provide some hints) but all those naturalised people would not be captured by the EUSS data even if they moved to the UK via EU rules.

I am sure there will have been plenty but by no means everyone eligible for naturalisation takes it. In the case of Italy (and I suspect that largest number of immigrants from the old EEC were from Italy), it didn't allow dual nationality until 1992. The Dutch have only permitted it because of Brexit. That makes a huge impact on willingness to naturalise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending