The Student Room Group
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

Biomedical sciences Coventry University

Hi, I am hoping to enroll at Coventry University for a biomedical science degree this September. Is there anyone who is already in the uni studying biomedicine and won´t mind sharing the notes and materials from their first year with me?
I would be really grateful for some notes to make a picture of what to expect and do some summer studying before starting college. Thanks.
Hello! I don't do your course but I am at Coventry.
Quite often the coursework etc. Changes every year, and the content regularly changes as well, or perhaps the order in which the content is taught
For additional reading in advance, I would email your course director/faculty for advice on this, and see if they can email a PowerPoint on what to expect. Normally they do a presentation on what to expect at the start of the year. You could request the course director to put you in contact with a course rep nd they should be able to help you out easily. A course rep is general someone already there, and there should be at least 1 in every course
I hope this helps
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website
Original post by Kristi19
Hi, I am hoping to enroll at Coventry University for a biomedical science degree this September. Is there anyone who is already in the uni studying biomedicine and won´t mind sharing the notes and materials from their first year with me?
I would be really grateful for some notes to make a picture of what to expect and do some summer studying before starting college. Thanks.

Hi @Kristi19

Its great to see you are considering applying for Biomedical Science! I am a 4th year biomedical science student at Coventry University and have thoroughly enjoyed the course. As my first year was a few years ago now, a lot of things have changed. There is now a common first year between Biomedical Science, Human Biology and Pharmacology courses so if you change your mind and would like to swap between the courses after first year, you can!
Despite this, my advice from what I have learned throughout my time is make yourself familiar with principles of biochemistry. These are the modules I struggled with the most in terms of concepts i.e. protein folding, structure and production. Also how principles in biochemistry can be applied to disease states and diagnosis of these conditions. There are biochemistry modules in each year of study so if you can get a head start, that would help! Haematology, immunology and cell biology are also modules that you will study during the course.

My biggest advice which should be relatively easy to do over the summer, is to familiarise yourself with academic papers in journals. It can take some getting used to reading with the style and terminology they use. Using papers to help you with your reading and to reference and use as evidence in your coursework and essays during this course will be the biggest help. It took me a long time to be able full interpret and use published papers which will make your coursework at a much higher level and will help you improve your writing style also! You can find thousands of papers on PubMed or google scholar. Just choose a topic you are interested in for now and find some papers to read.

I hope this helps. I'm sorry I can't give you specific notes but hopefully this is useful! If you have any more questions about the course, I am more than happy to help! :smile:

Amy
Coventry University - Coventry
Biomedical Science student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending