The Student Room Group

maths question help asap

A car is travelling on a straight horizontal road, the velocity of the car v ms^-1 at time t seconds as it passes three point, P Q and R. It is modelled by the equation v=at^2+bt+c
The car passes P at time t=0 with velocity 8ms-1
c=8
The car passes Q at t=5 and at that instant its deceleration is 0.12 ms-2
The car passes R at t=18 with velocity 2.96 ms-1
b) determine the value of a and b
c) find to the nearest metre the distance between points P and R
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Megan.thompson.x
A car is travelling on a straight horizontal road, the velocity of the car v ms^-1 at time t seconds as it passes three point, P Q and R. It is modelled by the equation v=at^2+bt+c
The car passes P at time t=0 with velocity 8ms-1
c=8
b) determine the value of a and b
c) find to the nearest metre the distance between points P and R

I guess some of the question is missing and it really does help to see your attempt as per the guidelines
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4919248
Reply 2
Hi megan
I can't do the question at all! Hence I'm asking on here how to do it.. that is the full question also.
Reply 4
I can't do the question at all! Hence I'm asking on here how to do it.. that is the full question also.

What you have posted is impossible to answer.
Is this it?

Untitled.jpg
yes..
that is all the information I was given which I included in my original post
yes..

Well, you missed all the information between (a) and (b) - which is rather critical.
Reply 8
yes..

Err, you've just edited your OP to put the exra info in. I'll leave you to solve it.
Original post by mqb2766
Err, you've just edited your OP to put the exra info in. I'll leave you to solve it.

I clearly didn't realise that there was extra information, so I added it in.
Reply 10
Original post by hypan6
You just didn't know how to answer the question in the first place

The fact that two users have randomly asked the same question, both missing the same parts of the question out, suggest you are both the same person or at least a group of friends just trying to do your homework together.

It should at least be very obvious what the first step is to answering part b) is, considering that you used the same step in part a). Substitute the values in and see what equations you get.

You could potentially use calculus to solve part c, once you know all the constants.
Original post by 0le
The fact that two users have randomly asked the same question, both missing the same parts of the question out, suggest you are both the same person or at least a group of friends just trying to do your homework together.

It should at least be very obvious what the first step is to answering part b) is, considering that you used the same step in part a). Substitute the values in and see what equations you get.

You could potentially use calculus to solve part c, once you know all the constants.

Judging by the other thread, there are four (of them) now. A nice geometric sequence 1, 2, 4, ... But it looks like its been "solved", so no worries.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by 0le

I am an a level maths student and was asking for help on a question I could not do. Simple as. I’m not stupid hence I take a level maths and this question was not as simple as just substitute the values in hence why it wasn’t one mark like the first question. There are not four of us, I posted the question myself twice and don’t know what or why anyone else has so there’s no need to be rude whatsoever. The point of this forum is to ask questions when you are unsure and it is for students, hence the name. So me, as an a level maths STUDENT asked a question 👍🏼
Reply 13
I clearly didn't realise that there was extra information, so I added it in. Thank you @hypan6 for being so nice, at least some people are.

As a general point it's always a good idea to include an image of the full question with your working when you first post - don't assume that some of the printed information is irrelevant because chances are, that's the exact info that's needed to help you :smile:

I am an a level maths student and was asking for help on a question I could not do. Simple as. I’m not stupid hence I take a level maths and this question was not as simple as just substitute the values in hence why it wasn’t one mark like the first question. There are not four of us, I posted the question myself twice and don’t know what or why anyone else has so there’s no need to be rude whatsoever. The point of this forum is to ask questions when you are unsure and it is for students, hence the name. So me, as an a level maths STUDENT asked a question 👍🏼
Are you hypan7?

The forum rules require you to post what you've tried so we can give you a hint - TSR is NOT a homework service.
Original post by Muttley79
The forum rules require you to post what you've tried so we can give you a hint - TSR is NOT a homework service.

And I haven't / hadn't done anything for this question hence there was nothing I could post? I had no idea how to do it so came here for help to hint how to do it or give me a method I could use 👍
And I haven't / hadn't done anything for this question hence there was nothing I could post? I had no idea how to do it so came here for help to hint how to do it or give me a method I could use 👍

The question tells you what to do for (a) and you've had some hints - try them and post whst you get.
Anyone get an answer

Quick Reply

Latest