The Student Room Group

Will my medications still be absorbed if I take laxatives straight after?

As the title asks.
No laxatives interfere with the absorption of medication
Reply 2
Which medications are you taking and why are you taking laxatives?

I appreciate that the answer to the second question may be pretty straightforward, in which case, you would be better off including as many fruits and vegetables plus plenty of fluids as you can in your diet for the next few days - that will have the effect you seek and will be better for you in the long run.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
No laxatives interfere with the absorption of medication

Not true.

As this demonstrates, the best people seek advice of are your GP and pharmacist.

Laxative abuse is very dangerous- are you OK? X
Original post by glassalice
Not true.

As this demonstrates, the best people seek advice of are your GP and pharmacist.

No it is true I also used to take my medication with my laxatives but my doctors told me not to as my body was not able to absorb my medication properly.
You've been told repeatedly that your use of laxatives and other disordered behaviours are dangerous. If you wont take this advice on board there is little reason to make these threads other than to feed into your eating disorder.

You need to work with your healthcare professionals inrl to come up with a healthier long term solution
That doesn't sound healthy.
Original post by Anonymous
No it is true I also used to take my medication with my laxatives but my doctors told me not to as my body was not able to absorb my medication properly.

A missing commar changed the meaning of your initial post.
Yea Google says that's true.:smile:
Original post by CoolCavy
You've been told repeatedly that your use of laxatives and other disordered behaviours are dangerous. If you wont take this advice on board there is little reason to make these threads other than to feed into your eating disorder.

You need to work with your healthcare professionals inrl to come up with a healthier long term solution

My healthcare professionals don't see it as an issue because I appear to be physically healthy, I have had multiples ECGs and blood tests and they all came back fine.
Original post by glassalice
Not true.

I wouldn't say that I am abusing laxatives as I'm not taking more than the maximum doseage that the packaging recommends.

I don't think my GP can help me. My old GP said I should do a lot of exercise instead, and I ended up injuring myself last year from over-exercising. My psychiatrist has referred me to ED services, I highly doubt they will see me though as i'm medically fit and stable.
Original post by xBeautifulMind
My healthcare professionals don't see it as an issue because I appear to be physically healthy, I have had multiples ECGs and blood tests and they all came back fine.

If there is nothing physical then they arent going to know about it unless you tell them.
If you have told them and they havent done anything that is concerning and i would try to escalate it.
Ultimately TSR isnt the right place for medical advice like this. I dont know if you are looking for validation in terms of being told its safe or people worrying about you because its dangerous.
Reply 11
Original post by xBeautifulMind
I wouldn't say that I am abusing laxatives as I'm not taking more than the maximum doseage that the packaging recommends.

I don't think my GP can help me. My old GP said I should do a lot of exercise instead, and I ended up injuring myself last year from over-exercising. My psychiatrist has referred me to ED services, I highly doubt they will see me though as i'm medically fit and stable.

Abusing laxatives covers other forms of use beyond exceeding the dosage.

If your Psychiatrist has referred you to an Eating Disorder service, there is a good chance that you will be contacted to arrange an appointment shortly.

In the meantime, you may well find BEAT helpful.

https://www.beateatingdisorders.org.uk/support-services/myself

https://www.beateatingdisorders.org.uk/types
Original post by CoolCavy
If there is nothing physical then they arent going to know about it unless you tell them.
If you have told them and they havent done anything that is concerning and i would try to escalate it.
Ultimately TSR isnt the right place for medical advice like this. I dont know if you are looking for validation in terms of being told its safe or people worrying about you because its dangerous.

I have told them about more dangerous things and they (mental health services) still didn't do anything. The only people who seem to care and intervene are the police. How crazy is that? The police care more about my welfare than the mental health services and GP surgery. It's not even the police's job to support me with mental health, but they do a better job than the so called mental health "professionals". Sorry for the rant.

And in terms of validation, I wasn't asking if taking laxatives is safe, just if my other medications will still be absorbed properly, e.g. the contraceptive pill and antidepressant. I am embarassed to speak about my laxative use to mental health services or my GP because poo is not a very lady-like topic.
Original post by Kerzen
Abusing laxatives covers other forms of use beyond exceeding the dosage.

If your Psychiatrist has referred you to an Eating Disorder service, there is a good chance that you will be contacted to arrange an appointment shortly.

In the meantime, you may well find BEAT helpful.

https://www.beateatingdisorders.org.uk/support-services/myself

https://www.beateatingdisorders.org.uk/types

Yes they will arrange an appointment with me, take my height and weight, calculate my BMI, and tell me that I am not underweight enough for their services.
popcorn emoji
literally popcorn does what it needs to do

Quick Reply

Latest