The Student Room Group

Student finance for paramedic science as a 2nd degree

I’ve been reading some previous threads on here about the funding available for paramedic science as a second degree, I’m a bit confused as most seem to say there is no SFE loans available unless you receive funding from the ambulance trust.

I thought there was no longer this kind of funding available from the trusts, so surely this needs to change??

Also I saw a reply from SFE that said “-If the student is not eligible to apply for any funding from the the Ambulance Service Trust they are entitled to full SFE support” - surely this implies there is funding available?

Any help/advice would be really appreciated!
Original post by rhianno2000
I’ve been reading some previous threads on here about the funding available for paramedic science as a second degree, I’m a bit confused as most seem to say there is no SFE loans available unless you receive funding from the ambulance trust.

I thought there was no longer this kind of funding available from the trusts, so surely this needs to change??

Also I saw a reply from SFE that said “-If the student is not eligible to apply for any funding from the the Ambulance Service Trust they are entitled to full SFE support” - surely this implies there is funding available?

Any help/advice would be really appreciated!

Hi Rhianno,

I’m a bit confused as most seem to say there is no SFE loans available unless you receive funding from the ambulance trust.
This is correct.
Paramedic science is now classed as an Allied Health Professional course however it's not an exception course like other AHP courses are. This means your previous study affects your eligibility unless you are receiving AST funding.

I am unsure if AST is available.

Students who don't have previous study/ equivalent level qualifications can receive full SFE support for a paramedic science course if they are not receiving AST funding, this info is correct. However you mentioned it will be your second degree so you will be ineligible in that case.

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi Rhianno,

I’m a bit confused as most seem to say there is no SFE loans available unless you receive funding from the ambulance trust.
This is correct.
Paramedic science is now classed as an Allied Health Professional course however it's not an exception course like other AHP courses are. This means your previous study affects your eligibility unless you are receiving AST funding.

I am unsure if AST is available.

Students who don't have previous study/ equivalent level qualifications can receive full SFE support for a paramedic science course if they are not receiving AST funding, this info is correct. However you mentioned it will be your second degree so you will be ineligible in that case.

Thanks, Isaac

Hi Isaac, thank you for replying it’s really helpful!

As far as I can tell AST funding isn’t available anymore, is this something that can be checked or do you know if it is likely to be made an exception course because of this?
Original post by rhianno2000
Hi Isaac, thank you for replying it’s really helpful!

As far as I can tell AST funding isn’t available anymore, is this something that can be checked or do you know if it is likely to be made an exception course because of this?

Regulations could change in the future. Right now the regulations do not class it as an exception course. That could change in the future but I don't know to be honest.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending