kzadboy7
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi, so I have ABB in my A levels and wanted to do law, but most places I see are AAA or AAB and I’m just wondering if there are any good RG or other top universities which will accept these grades? I plan on applying for 2022 and currently have 2 B A-levels already, with a predicted grade of an A for the other one.
AHKS
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by kzadboy7)
Hi, so I have ABB in my A levels and wanted to do law, but most places I see are AAA or AAB and I’m just wondering if there are any good RG or other top universities which will accept these grades? I plan on applying for 2022 and currently have 2 B A-levels already, with a predicted grade of an A for the other one.
Probably not what you want to hear, but law is very competitive. It goes against you that you have not done all 3 A levels in the same year too. What are you planning to do next year before starting uni in 2022? If you do something relevant it could help your chances. I suggest taking a look at clearing options this year even if you want to wait a year to see the sort of offers available.
Xalwo
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi,
I felt compelled to answer this question. In short law is very competitive I second that I had similar grades and went to a Uni in London. Worst mistake as there are such competitive and career ready students in law even at that early stage. I highly recommend you look into degrees where you can start a protected title role straight after ie. like pharmacy, nursing, paramedic. If you continue to do law and don't end up doing anything like it its counterproductive and you end up doing more for a regular bachelors degree with like high competition to secure the relevant roles such as trainee solicitor.
I know so many people who successfully finished wishing they done something more practical. If you don't even feel like listening to me take a year out work and then decide what it is you want to do. Don't jump into it.
kzadboy7
Rep:
?
(Original post by AHKS)
Probably not what you want to hear, but law is very competitive. It goes against you that you have not done all 3 A levels in the same year too. What are you planning to do next year before starting uni in 2022? If you do something relevant it could help your chances. I suggest taking a look at clearing options this year even if you want to wait a year to see the sort of offers available.
Hi so obviously I want to finish the other A level but I was also going to work as well and get some money behind me before I hopefully go to university. Is there anything I could be doing to increase my chances?
kzadboy7
Rep:
?
(Original post by Xalwo)
Hi,
I felt compelled to answer this question. In short law is very competitive I second that I had similar grades and went to a Uni in London. Worst mistake as there are such competitive and career ready students in law even at that early stage. I highly recommend you look into degrees where you can start a protected title role straight after ie. like pharmacy, nursing, paramedic. If you continue to do law and don't end up doing anything like it its counterproductive and you end up doing more for a regular bachelors degree with like high competition to secure the relevant roles such as trainee solicitor.
I know so many people who successfully finished wishing they done something more practical. If you don't even feel like listening to me take a year out work and then decide what it is you want to do. Don't jump into it.
Hi, thank you for the advice; I’m taking a year out next year (obviously to finish my other A level as well) but my dream is to be lawyer, although I’m not set completely on it; I was also considering psychology but I’m not too sure
Last edited by kzadboy7; 2 months ago
AHKS
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi, thank you for the advice; I’m taking a year out next year (obviously to finish my other A level as well) but my dream is to be lawyer, although I’m not set completely on it; I was also considering psychology but I’m not too sure
If you are interested in law and psychology maybe take a look at criminology courses,?
kzadboy7
Rep:
?
(Original post by AHKS)
If you are interested in law and psychology maybe take a look at criminology courses,?
I was considering doing law and criminology at Sheffield; they accept ABB if you qualify for the widening access offers, which I’m not sure if I do as I’m technically a young-adult carer, but I don’t know how I would tel then this and if it would make much difference
chalbliagtelle
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I was considering doing law and criminology at Sheffield; they accept ABB if you qualify for the widening access offers, which I’m not sure if I do as I’m technically a young-adult carer, but I don’t know how I would tel then this and if it would make much difference
Email their undergraduate admissions or the email associated with that course and inquire whether your situation fits their criteria - they'll be happy to inform you
Geth071002
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Norton rose Fullbright are doing a Solictor apprenticeship for AAB I think which I know is above your grades but it’s worth a try . Law at the university of Cardiff requires AAB-ABB if all A levels are sat within 3 years and I know York accept resits too but you’d be required to achieve AAA or equivalent.
Flamingcheetos
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I got into Southampton through clearing last year with ABC! for an AAA offer, it is possible however clearing is your best bet into getting into a Russell group.
kzadboy7
Rep:
?
(Original post by Geth071002)
Norton rose Fullbright are doing a Solictor apprenticeship for AAB I think which I know is above your grades but it’s worth a try . Law at the university of Cardiff requires AAB-ABB if all A levels are sat within 3 years and I know York accept resits too but you’d be required to achieve AAA or equivalent.
Hi, I didn’t do any resits; I just changed a subject; do you think that will get held against me? And you may not know, but this is just curiosity, but what does “say in three years” mean; exams itself sat in three years or the subject itself is completed in three years?
Johnny ~
Badges: 15
Report 2 months ago
This is difficult to predict. The little data there we have on this only shows what grades people enrol with, meaning that it is conceivable that someone was originally predicted AAA even though they were let in with ABB or above.

Your situation is especially unfortunate given that your achieved grades are Bs and the A is only a predicted grade for now - for all we know, universities may treat you as a candidate who is only going to get BBB or BBC instead of AAB, and give offers to those who have done better. Universities are also not keen on A-levels being achieved across multiple sittings, though I assume that this comes down to the individual's circumstances.

One thing you might want to do is sit/resit more A-levels and get better predictions for them. Being predicted AAA with BB achieved is better than your current predicament. There are plenty of thirsty/desperate universities with enormous intakes (like Liverpool) that would probably end up considering you that way.

You might also want to look further down. Not everyone can get into a 'top' university or even an RG university and your track record to date doesn't exactly show academic excellence. There's no shame in going to a university that has an ABB or BBB standard offer and working your butt off to get a First.
Tinders
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi, I didn’t do any resits; I just changed a subject; do you think that will get held against me? And you may not know, but this is just curiosity, but what does “say in three years” mean; exams itself sat in three years or the subject itself is completed in three years?
Hello, staggering your a-levels shouldn't do too much harm. I did 3 A-levels in 2019, got ABE in Politics Music and Biology, in the 2020 series I swapped Bio for History got an A* in history. Applied for 2020 entry with ABE and an A* prediction and I'm currently at an RG uni studying law.
EU Yakov
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Tinders)
Hello, staggering your a-levels shouldn't do too much harm. I did 3 A-levels in 2019, got ABE in Politics Music and Biology, in the 2020 series I swapped Bio for History got an A* in history. Applied for 2020 entry with ABE and an A* prediction and I'm currently at an RG uni studying law.
which uni big man
neuoOOO
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You can definitely get into RG unis with ABB. Check the universities website and see if they do summer programmes for a reduced offer.
Tinders
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by EU Yakov)
which uni big man
York
EU Yakov
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Tinders)
York
nice
Tinders
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by EU Yakov)
nice
Thank you
x_cait13_x
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi I applied to do law with criminology in September. At AS I had ABB. I applied to Cardiff (russell University) which grades are AAB-ABB, now my firmed choice. I applied to Swansea but I rejected the offere their grade boundaries are AAB-BBB. Yes law is competitive and to get in a good uni. What is going to account more is how well you do the degree and the process after finishing. Having a good set of grades is important but it isn't the end of the world. It's the same degree in all universities its just the name at the end of the day.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (5)
14.29%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (11)
31.43%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (2)
5.71%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (4)
11.43%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (1)
2.86%
I think it's an unfair expectation (11)
31.43%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
2.86%

Watched Threads