The Student Room Group

My first time getting an email about plagiarism

So basically, my head of school email me about my case about plagiarism. I didnt use quotation marks on my essay but I had the author and year written next to it. I forgot that you need it to use quotation marks when are talking about someone else's work. I have my reference list at the end. I also use 6 opening sentences from one's else work that it was related to my work at all. I think they are going to talk about that the most, but I only use his sentence structures and opening They ask Appeals, Complaints and Conduct Office to investigate and I dont know what is going to happen next. This is my first time happening to me, i am in my final year.
Reply 1
I also use 6 opening sentences from one's else work that it was related to my work at all. I think they are going to talk about that the most, but I only use his sentence structures and opening

I mean, you either copied the sentences or you did not.

In general, you do not need to use speech marks if you summarise what someone else is saying. You do need to use speech marks if you copy the author's sentence(s), word for word. However, note that in both cases, you must include a reference. If in doubt, use speech marks.
Reply 2
Original post by 0le
I mean, you either copied the sentences or you did not.

In general, you do not need to use speech marks if you summarise what someone else is saying. You do need to use speech marks if you copy the author's sentence(s), word for word. However, note that in both cases, you must include a reference. If in doubt, use speech marks.

I copied the sentences but I have added the name and year on the side, as well as on the reference list.
I didnt use speech marks when coping someone else work.
Reply 3
Original post by Nearlyayy
I copied the sentences but I have added the name and year on the side, as well as on the reference list.

Well there is your problem. If you copy text directly, then it needs speech marks.

You say you didn’t use quotation marks and only author/year but then say that you also used sentences from someone else’s work...
For what purpose were you copying sentences of someone else’s work?
Where did you find these sentences?
Reply 5
Original post by 0le
Well there is your problem. If you copy text directly, then it needs speech marks.

it's my fault. I know, I just wanted to know more about what its going to happen next.
Reply 6
it's my fault. I know, I just wanted to know more about what its going to happen next.

I am not sure. But why did you post this on the careers forum? If you are in university, there should be some rules or procedures that were either given to you at the start of your programme and/or they can be found online.

I would say they will probably give you a warning of some sort and may deduct some marks from your paper but this is just pure speculation.

Have a look at your university’s plagiarism policy it will tell you the procedure and likely outcomes.
These can range from dropping marks, a capped result, a failed assignment, a failed module, to being withdrawn from the course altogether.
Reply 8
Original post by GabiAbi84
You say you didn’t use quotation marks and only author/year but then say that you also used sentences from someone else’s work...
For what purpose were you copying sentences of someone else’s work?
Where did you find these sentences?

you are right. I didnt use quotation marks when copying someone else work. I found them on journals and I added them at the end on the reference list
you are right. I didnt use quotation marks when copying someone else work. I found them on journals and I added them at the end on the reference list

Is that the “opening sentences” that you copied?
Reply 10
Original post by GabiAbi84
Is that the “opening sentences” that you copied?

yes. I copied them from a past papers from a past papers from the module.
yes. I copied them from a past papers from a past papers from the module.

From someone else’s answer?
Reply 12
yes. I did.
yes. I did.

Then this is straight, clearcut plagiarism not a matter of “forgetting to use quotation marks”
Did you look at your uni’s plagiarism policy?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending