The Student Room Group

calculating bond enthalpies

Hi guys,
so my question is when doing bond enthalpies the equation is =
total energies of bonds broken - total energies of formed bonds

however when I am working out the enthalpy of formation bond enthalpies would I stick to the same calculation above or would it be the calculation to work out enthalpy of formation (products-reactants)
Original post by Fa123123
Hi guys,
so my question is when doing bond enthalpies the equation is =
total energies of bonds broken - total energies of formed bonds

however when I am working out the enthalpy of formation bond enthalpies would I stick to the same calculation above or would it be the calculation to work out enthalpy of formation (products-reactants)

What does "enthalpy of formation bond enthalpies" mean?
Reply 2
Original post by charco
What does "enthalpy of formation bond enthalpies" mean?

I mean the question is about bond enthalpies. But one of the questions says the enthalpy of formation of that compound
I mean the question is about bond enthalpies. But one of the questions says the enthalpy of formation of that compound

Every type of energy transformation is carefully defined. You cannot mix concepts.

You can work out the enthalpy of formation using bond enthalpy terms providing that all components are gases.
Reply 4
Original post by charco
Every type of energy transformation is carefully defined. You cannot mix concepts.

You can work out the enthalpy of formation using bond enthalpy terms providing that all components are gases.

So when i do enthalpy of formation using bond enthalpy terms would the equation;
sum of bonds broken - sum of bonds formed?
So when i do enthalpy of formation using bond enthalpy terms would the equation;
sum of bonds broken - sum of bonds formed?

yes
Reply 6

Quick Reply

Latest