The Student Room Group

Student Finance and Bursary

I have lived in UK for long time but I have European passport. I have been accepted by the University to do a PGCE unconditional offer which I accepted.
Could you please advise me what is the next step to do please? It is a bit unclear. I have registered with student finance and I have my CRN. I completed all that, however I haven't submitted because I think it is not time yet. But I am pretty sure I could press the button and submit it. I have red in your site that is open now for EU.
On the other hand I have read I need to send my Passport to Darlington and some documents to prove I have been living in my address for the last 3 years.
When the application has to be submitted? Can I send the documents now to them or do I need to submit the application first and send these documents? I won´t like to be in the position where I can´t travel because my passport has not been returned. (4 weeks are advised but won't surprise me with the Covid if it takes longer)

On the other hand and another point that is not clear for me is the bursary. I believe the University administers the payments however how this needs to be arranged and when? How can I apply for the bursary?

Many thanks and I hope this helps to some other students too.

Albert
Original post by Alb6789
I have lived in UK for long time but I have European passport. I have been accepted by the University to do a PGCE unconditional offer which I accepted.
Could you please advise me what is the next step to do please? It is a bit unclear. I have registered with student finance and I have my CRN. I completed all that, however I haven't submitted because I think it is not time yet. But I am pretty sure I could press the button and submit it. I have red in your site that is open now for EU.
On the other hand I have read I need to send my Passport to Darlington and some documents to prove I have been living in my address for the last 3 years.
When the application has to be submitted? Can I send the documents now to them or do I need to submit the application first and send these documents? I won´t like to be in the position where I can´t travel because my passport has not been returned. (4 weeks are advised but won't surprise me with the Covid if it takes longer)

On the other hand and another point that is not clear for me is the bursary. I believe the University administers the payments however how this needs to be arranged and when? How can I apply for the bursary?

Many thanks and I hope this helps to some other students too.

Albert

Hi Albert,
In order to determine your eligibility, please confirm:

1. Which university and course you are looking to start your studies with?
2. How old you are.
3. Your nationality, current status and time spent within the UK.
4. Any previous study and qualifications you may hold.

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi Albert,
In order to determine your eligibility, please confirm:

1. Which university and course you are looking to start your studies with?
2. How old you are.
3. Your nationality, current status and time spent within the UK.
4. Any previous study and qualifications you may hold.

Thanks, Isaac

Isaac as I said I have accepted one offer from the 3 providers I had from my UCAS application. I studied in the past in Manchester long time ago. I hold a BEng(Hons) as I have been living here over 20 years and I am married here with children, I am from Spain. I am doing a PGCE secondary Maths. (mature student ok)
All my qualifications are fine otherwise I won´t have had an unconditional offer from the provider.

The provider told me I am quailified for a normal bursary (9250 I think is). I filled a form and they checked my status and so on. I am ok with all that. I am doing the PGCE as a professional development. I have been working many years as a teacher and also cover teacher (of course at the moment I haven´t got a QTS and for this reason as well I am doing the PGCE) As you know with the Covid and so many changes I took the decision last year. Anyway, could you please help me! I read an earlier post "the last date is on the 21st May!" I have also asked a couple of questions to my provider in connection with the form online. I have done it already and saved it however, I haven´t submitted the application. I am not sure if I have to or I need to wait. Of course I don´t want to make a mistake either.

Any help is welcome.

Many thanks
Original post by Alb6789
Isaac as I said I have accepted one offer from the 3 providers I had from my UCAS application. I studied in the past in Manchester long time ago. I hold a BEng(Hons) as I have been living here over 20 years and I am married here with children, I am from Spain. I am doing a PGCE secondary Maths. (mature student ok)
All my qualifications are fine otherwise I won´t have had an unconditional offer from the provider.

The provider told me I am quailified for a normal bursary (9250 I think is). I filled a form and they checked my status and so on. I am ok with all that. I am doing the PGCE as a professional development. I have been working many years as a teacher and also cover teacher (of course at the moment I haven´t got a QTS and for this reason as well I am doing the PGCE) As you know with the Covid and so many changes I took the decision last year. Anyway, could you please help me! I read an earlier post "the last date is on the 21st May!" I have also asked a couple of questions to my provider in connection with the form online. I have done it already and saved it however, I haven´t submitted the application. I am not sure if I have to or I need to wait. Of course I don´t want to make a mistake either.

Any help is welcome.

Many thanks

If your PGCE course is 2 years or less, non salaried and it will be your first time achieving Qualified Teacher Status then your previous study will not affect your eligibility.

If you have full EU settled status then you can apply as a home student. You should apply by the 21/05/2021 to receive funding on time.

As you said you have submitted your application already, the 21/05 no longer applies to you and you shouldn't worry about this date.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 4
If your PGCE course is 2 years or less, non salaried and it will be your first time achieving Qualified Teacher Status then your previous study will not affect your eligibility.

If you have full EU settled status then you can apply as a home student. You should apply by the 21/05/2021 to receive funding on time.

As you said you have submitted your application already, the 21/05 no longer applies to you and you shouldn't worry about this date.
Thanks, Isaac

Isaac,

Let´s see from this site "https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login" I have completed the application but I haven´t submitted yet. I have read by some information sent by my provider about finance. Following the link from another page I was send to gov.uk.

Of course from UCAS I did accepted the offer.

Could you please clarify that? Many thanks Isaac
Original post by Alb6789
Isaac,

Let´s see from this site "https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login" I have completed the application but I haven´t submitted yet. I have read by some information sent by my provider about finance. Following the link from another page I was send to gov.uk.

Of course from UCAS I did accepted the offer.

Could you please clarify that? Many thanks Isaac

I did not understand what you said. Please can you re word this or clarify further?
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 6
I did not understand what you said. Please can you re word this or clarify further?
Thanks, Isaac

Hi Isaac,

1. I applied by UCAS to study a PGCE. I already achieved my Degree with honours (2:1) 20 years ago (I could only choose from 3 providers. It is a different entry as you know I am not a student finishing A Level this year.)

2. I was accepted and received a conditional offer. (previous to the offer the provider has checked all my credentials and confirm that I was eligible as normal UK fees 9250, and of course the interview process, etc)

3. I submitted my acceptance to the provider by UCAS (PGCE Secondary Mathematics 1 year full-time)

4. Provider sent me some correspondence in connection with Student finance loans / grants and Bursaries.

5. As I explained already I filled the online form (https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login). The form is completed but as I said I have not submitted yet. (I am still waiting for a confirmation of my provider because I asked them which is the correct course to choose. - there are two with the same code, perhaps it doesn´t matter however I don´t want to select the wrong one)

5.1. If you have done that before you will know that there are 6 sections to fill (About you, Previously studies, Course and fees, Living cost, financial info, additional info and the last one submit)

5.2. I have also asked to my provider about section 3. I have attached the pic and I am sure you will understand the problem. I am not returning to the course after an agreed break. However, if I do select that option the system is not happy and I get the screen I have shown you. Therefore I am concern about my submission.

I hope this is clear now and could you please tell me what do you think? Also could you please confirm my deadline to submit this form?

Many thanks

Albert
Original post by Alb6789
Hi Isaac,

1. I applied by UCAS to study a PGCE. I already achieved my Degree with honours (2:1) 20 years ago (I could only choose from 3 providers. It is a different entry as you know I am not a student finishing A Level this year.)

2. I was accepted and received a conditional offer. (previous to the offer the provider has checked all my credentials and confirm that I was eligible as normal UK fees 9250, and of course the interview process, etc)

3. I submitted my acceptance to the provider by UCAS (PGCE Secondary Mathematics 1 year full-time)

4. Provider sent me some correspondence in connection with Student finance loans / grants and Bursaries.

5. As I explained already I filled the online form (https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login). The form is completed but as I said I have not submitted yet. (I am still waiting for a confirmation of my provider because I asked them which is the correct course to choose. - there are two with the same code, perhaps it doesn´t matter however I don´t want to select the wrong one)

5.1. If you have done that before you will know that there are 6 sections to fill (About you, Previously studies, Course and fees, Living cost, financial info, additional info and the last one submit)

5.2. I have also asked to my provider about section 3. I have attached the pic and I am sure you will understand the problem. I am not returning to the course after an agreed break. However, if I do select that option the system is not happy and I get the screen I have shown you. Therefore I am concern about my submission.

I hope this is clear now and could you please tell me what do you think? Also could you please confirm my deadline to submit this form?

Many thanks

Albert

The screenshot you attached shows that the university are not allowing new students to apply. You either need to get the correct course details from the university or they need to fix the database to allow new students to apply.

We advise applicants to apply by the 21/05 to receive funding on time.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 8
The screenshot you attached shows that the university are not allowing new students to apply. You either need to get the correct course details from the university or they need to fix the database to allow new students to apply.

We advise applicants to apply by the 21/05 to receive funding on time.
Thanks, Isaac

You was right Isaac, checked with the provider. They have confirmed is the other option. I managed to get at the end of the screen and have submitted. Now, I will need to post the documentation.

Many thanks

Albert
Original post by Alb6789
You was right Isaac, checked with the provider. They have confirmed is the other option. I managed to get at the end of the screen and have submitted. Now, I will need to post the documentation.

Many thanks

Albert

Perfect, glad to hear it has been resolved :smile:
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending