The Student Room Group

Being threatened to being kicked out

I’m currently 18 am my parents are very strict and have some marital and anger problems so they deflect it on the kids and are constantly threatening to harm me kill me and have physically injured me multiple times as in physical bruised my hand and sprain my fingers and scratched me which have left deep cuts and scars. I think that they would have caused serious harm to me if I couldn’t fight back

The main situation is I’m being kicked out right now and don’t want to impose on people and I really have nowhere to stay so what is the best thing I can do.
You are 18. You should be thinking of moving out for uni.
Do you have savings, your uk passport and confirmation of your student loan entitlement for next year?

Contact with your local council, notify them that you are at risk of homelessness and are likely to require emergency accomodation as soon as your parents evict you from their home.
You can also get free advice from https://centrepoint.org.uk/youth-homelessness/get-help-now/ and https://england.shelter.org.uk/get_help
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I’m currently 18 am my parents are very strict and have some marital and anger problems so they deflect it on the kids and are constantly threatening to harm me kill me and have physically injured me multiple times as in physical bruised my hand and sprain my fingers and scratched me which have left deep cuts and scars. I think that they would have caused serious harm to me if I couldn’t fight back

The main situation is I’m being kicked out right now and don’t want to impose on people and I really have nowhere to stay so what is the best thing I can do.

Do you have somewhere to stay tonight?
Reply 4
You should report this to the police, especially if there are other children in the house that are at risk.
Reply 5
Original post by Wired_1800
You are 18. You should be thinking of moving out for uni.

Yes but uni starts in September, My dad also started threatening me that he wouldn’t give me his details so I can get student finance so then I spoke to my school and they helped me sort it out the bad thing is I’m getting the minimum amount possible without any support from any parent.
And I’m currently doing my A-levels and I’m being constantly kicked out for the most unreasonable things now. It’s not only me it’s all my siblings but I’m the only one that gets kicked out and I think it’s because they don’t want me to be independent. So, due to me getting kicked out by the end of this mont I have nowhere to stay what can I do
Reply 6
Yes but uni starts in September, My dad also started threatening me that he wouldn’t give me his details so I can get student finance so then I spoke to my school and they helped me sort it out the bad thing is I’m getting the minimum amount possible without any support from any parent.
And I’m currently doing my A-levels and I’m being constantly kicked out for the most unreasonable things now. It’s not only me it’s all my siblings but I’m the only one that gets kicked out and I think it’s because they don’t want me to be independent. So, due to me getting kicked out by the end of this mont I have nowhere to stay what can I do

I’m finding it really hard to focus on my school stuff for the last few weeks I have left and I’m so confused at what I should do Now
Reply 7

Do you feel comfortable with saying which is your local council, so that we can post the number for the Homelessness Team for you?

I'm also inclined to suggest that you speak to Social Services as well.
Reply 8
Speak to your school/ college and then contact your local council, if you’re kicked out you may qualify for estranged status for student finance meaning you’d get the maximum this can be difficult to prove but if you have teachers that can back you up it may help which is another reason to speak to someone

I think you need to play the game. Apologise to your parents and hold on until September so you could move out forever.

Also speak to your school or student finance to notify them that you wont get any parental contribution. This should hopefully increase your loan amount.
Original post by Kerzen
Do you feel comfortable with saying which is your local council, so that we can post the number for the Homelessness Team for you?

I'm also inclined to suggest that you speak to Social Services as well.

I feel like if I get all these things involved it will escalate the situation, I’ve currently explained the situation to a teacher in school n she is helping me contact the council but because I’m 18 she’s not sure social services will help me too much because I’m legally an adult and now I’m unsure any good possible outcomes

Hey there, I'd recommend trying to go to a YMCA and seeing if you can stay there, one of my close friends who was kicked out of his house did that. Also, how old are your siblings, if there are any?

Social housing is also another thing to look into, and maybe talking to any friends you have? Don't worry about imposing, if they care about you and have space, they will let you stay with them for a while.

I sincerely hope that things get better, you're so strong and I believe in you
Original post by Wired_1800
I think you need to play the game. Apologise to your parents and hold on until September so you could move out forever.

Also speak to your school or student finance to notify them that you wont get any parental contribution. This should hopefully increase your loan amount.

When I spoke to them they said that I could get the finance but the minimum and I think I would have declare myself fully independent and leave the household to be legible for that and I currently have nowhere to stay if I leave because no immediate family and they have the same thought process so it wouldn’t really work
Original post by ng11
Speak to your school/ college and then contact your local council, if you’re kicked out you may qualify for estranged status for student finance meaning you’d get the maximum this can be difficult to prove but if you have teachers that can back you up it may help which is another reason to speak to someone

I’m currently in contact with my sixth form about it and they are trying to help but I’m currently regretting saying anything because I doubt anything useful will come out of this situation if authorities and external people get involved. It is looking like they can’t really help me but are obviously looking out for my younger siblings and this is good but is going to get me nowhere
When I spoke to them they said that I could get the finance but the minimum and I think I would have declare myself fully independent and leave the household to be legible for that and I currently have nowhere to stay if I leave because no immediate family and they have the same thought process so it wouldn’t really work

As I said before, try and apply for YMCA housing

https://ymcabirmingham.org.uk/what-we-do/accommodation/supported-housing/ - I'm unsure as to where you're from, but if you go to a ymca page for your city, there should be accomodation, try to look for supported or independent housing

https://ymcabirmingham.org.uk/what-we-do/accommodation/independent-living/ - the link for independent living

I'm sorry I can't be more help, but I hope everything gets better, and try to reach out to the police, especially if there are other kids in the house that may be hurt too.
there are 2 different statuses for uni finance - Independent is based on you having supported yourself for 3 years (which you obviously haven't) and Estranged which seems like it might be more appropriate if things come to a head. Have a good read up on what this means - it is usually applicable for estrangement for more than a year but they do say they consider each case.
https://www.standalone.org.uk/guides/student-guide/#irreconcilably-estranged

Can you speak with a qualified adviser and ask for your options? Good luck
Reply 17
I feel like if I get all these things involved it will escalate the situation, I’ve currently explained the situation to a teacher in school n she is helping me contact the council but because I’m 18 she’s not sure social services will help me too much because I’m legally an adult and now I’m unsure any good possible outcomes

If you are going to be homeless, in which way would contacting the Homeless Team at the Council escalate the situation? Would it not be logical?

Re Social Services, the referral to them is about the fact that there are adults in this house who are threatening to kill their children. That's what the referral to them is about.
Original post by Kerzen
If you are going to be homeless, in which way would contacting the Homeless Team at the Council escalate the situation? Would it not be logical?

Re Social Services, the referral to them is about the fact that there are adults in this house who are threatening to kill their children. That's what the referral to them is about.

I don’t know why I am scared but I have now been in contact with social workers and I think there is a possibility of getting me out of the house

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending