The Student Room Group

Honour's meaning in law degree?

Hi :smile:,

What does having a law degree with honours means?

Can someone get a first without honours?

Thanks in advance
doesn't mean ****. everyone got hons at my uni
Reply 2
Original post by EU Yakov
doesn't mean ****. everyone got hons at my uni

Oh okay, in my university I've heard passing comments that some people will not get honours in their law degree because of some modules that were below the mark ?
Not sure if this is different for a law degree, but for most degrees completing the dissertation allows you to graduate "with honours" - if you dont complete or fail your dissertation, you will only have an ordinary degree. Considering the diss is usually 30+ credits, i doubt you could get a first :smile:
Most degrees are honours degree. It's possible to graduate without honours i.e. with an ordinary degree, in which case you will not have a classification (e.g. 1st, 2:1 etc) as ordinary degrees are only pass/fail. An ordinary degree would normally be seen as a failed degree by most employers for graduate level roles (for entry level roles open to professionals and school leavers they may not care much either way).
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by UneBellePatience
Not sure if this is different for a law degree, but for most degrees completing the dissertation allows you to graduate "with honours" - if you dont complete or fail your dissertation, you will only have an ordinary degree. Considering the diss is usually 30+ credits, i doubt you could get a first :smile:

Thanks, in my law degree I have achieved a first class honours degree but, just wondered what exactly got me the honours part.

We had the choice to complete a dissertation or to study an extra module, I chose the extra module
Original post by amanikaurr
Thanks, in my law degree I have achieved a first class honours degree but, just wondered what exactly got me the honours part.

We had the choice to complete a dissertation or to study an extra module, I chose the extra module

That's great well done! :smile: if the dissertation was optional i don't think it would be the dissertation that gives honours then! Maybe a specific module that highlights independent study skills
Reply 7
Original post by UneBellePatience
That's great well done! :smile: if the dissertation was optional i don't think it would be the dissertation that gives honours then! Maybe a specific module that highlights independent study skills

Thankyou I appreciate it! :smile:

Yes it probably is something like that :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by artful_lounger
Most degrees are honours degree. It's possible to graduate without honours i.e. with an ordinary degree, in which case you will not have a classification (e.g. 1st, 2:1 etc) as ordinary degrees are only pass/fail. An ordinary degree would normally be seen as a failed degree by most employers for graduate level roles (for entry level roles open to professionals and school leavers they may not care much either way).

ahh I see! :smile:

Thankyou for the clarification !
Reply 9
Thankyou!
Actually I believe it comes down to the amount of credits you get- 360 credits gives an honours degree (as in my case where I got an honours degree by just taking taught modules, no dissertstion), whereas 300 credits gives an ordinary degree (if I'm remembering correctly) :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Hey! I believe an honours degree is given to those who have a certain number of credits. In my university you must have 360 credits for an honours and any less means an ordinary degree. In other words, you must pass every module for an honours

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending