The Student Room Group

What University courses can I do?

I'm a first year in college and I'm studying Psychology at A level, Music at Btec certificate and Applied science at level 3 BTEC certificate and I'm just wondering what courses I would be able to apply to, preferably something to do with science or lab work but I'm not well versed in the university courses at the minute. Any help would be much appreciated. :biggrin:
Hi, I've moved your thread to the main applications forum, as it somehow ended up in the pharmacy forum!

Some STEM based degrees may accept the Applied Science BTEC, although your options may be more limited compared to doing traditional science A-levels. However you may be able to apply to STEM degrees with a foundation year still, which keeps your options very broad in that area, so you could go on to just about any STEM degree subject through that route. You may also be able to apply to some psychology degrees with those options.

Otherwise you could potentially apply to the many degree courses which have no specific required background, which may include some with lab or scientific work. Some examples include archaeology/archaeological science, (biological/evolutionary) anthropology, many humanities and most social sciences subjects, etc.

I'd suggest looking into science foundation year options as well as which courses accept the BTEC, while also maybe exploring some of those other options. You have plenty of time to look at different options (until January of next year, if you are applying for 2022 entry) so no need to rush to a decision.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Hi, I've moved your thread to the main applications forum, as it somehow ended up in the pharmacy forum!

Some STEM based degrees may accept the Applied Science BTEC, although your options may be more limited compared to doing traditional science A-levels. However you may be able to apply to STEM degrees with a foundation year still, which keeps your options very broad in that area, so you could go on to just about any STEM degree subject through that route. You may also be able to apply to some psychology degrees with those options.

Otherwise you could potentially apply to the many degree courses which have no specific required background, which may include some with lab or scientific work. Some examples include archaeology/archaeological science, (biological/evolutionary) anthropology, many humanities and most social sciences subjects, etc.

I'd suggest looking into science foundation year options as well as which courses accept the BTEC, while also maybe exploring some of those other options. You have plenty of time to look at different options (until January of next year, if you are applying for 2022 entry) so no need to rush to a decision.

I was having a look at doing maybe biomedical science with a foundation year or pharmaceutical science with a foundation year at the university of East London but wasn't completely sure if they would accept btecs but the entry requirements were very lenient only needing like 48 ucas points
Original post by Andrew7704
I was having a look at doing maybe biomedical science with a foundation year or pharmaceutical science with a foundation year at the university of East London but wasn't completely sure if they would accept btecs but the entry requirements were very lenient only needing like 48 ucas points

Foundation years are designed for people who didn't study the "right" subjects in 6th form to be able to pursue degrees in those areas - so usually they accept any subject background. They also usually consider applicants with non-standard educational backgrounds (e.g. mature students, those who had gaps or breaks in their education etc) and who may not have studied traditionally academic A-levels or similar. So usually they are happy to consider BTEC students I think :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
Foundation years are designed for people who didn't study the "right" subjects in 6th form to be able to pursue degrees in those areas - so usually they accept any subject background. They also usually consider applicants with non-standard educational backgrounds (e.g. mature students, those who had gaps or breaks in their education etc) and who may not have studied traditionally academic A-levels or similar. So usually they are happy to consider BTEC students I think :smile:

Thank you so much for the confirmation about this. I really appreciate this :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending