The Student Room Group

Pgl 2020

Has anyone else had an interview for the role of activity instructor apprenticeship at PGL but still waiting for a response due to Covid-19?? :frown:
Original post by ambzlroseowen
Has anyone else had an interview for the role of activity instructor apprenticeship at PGL but still waiting for a response due to Covid-19?? :frown:

I work for PGL and i can tell you, they will not respond to you. Everyone got Fired two weeks ago and we are all in Furlough pay.

The idea is PGL to open on 1st June, but i believe, with lockdown set to be until September. PGL may open September or possibly January 2021.

But tbh God knows why you want to work for PGL, it's a God awful company, unless you are egotistical and extroverted and prefer to be in a 'wack bubble'. I'm only sticking with them because i do not get along with family and other personal **** things in my life.
Original post by Quiet Benin
I work for PGL and i can tell you, they will not respond to you. Everyone got Fired two weeks ago and we are all in Furlough pay.

The idea is PGL to open on 1st June, but i believe, with lockdown set to be until September. PGL may open September or possibly January 2021.

But tbh God knows why you want to work for PGL, it's a God awful company, unless you are egotistical and extroverted and prefer to be in a 'wack bubble'. I'm only sticking with them because i do not get along with family and other personal **** things in my life.

The good news is I have been offered the job so now is just a waiting game. Can I ask which centre you went to for the training course? And how long was the training course before you started employment with PGL?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.
The good news is I have been offered the job so now is just a waiting game. Can I ask which centre you went to for the training course? And how long was the training course before you started employment with PGL?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Everyone do their training at Liddington. The training course is a bit... (Let's just say if you are not a fast learner, it can become tricky, as this was the case for me). Altogether it's like a week and a half training.

After completion of Training course, you immediately start work to your chosen centre the next day in which more training is continued.

Did they tell you when they would actually open for business? The Manager told us 1st June but this was a month ago but as the situation of coronavirus crisis deepens, have they given you any information when staff could come to work again
Everyone do their training at Liddington. The training course is a bit... (Let's just say if you are not a fast learner, it can become tricky, as this was the case for me). Altogether it's like a week and a half training.

After completion of Training course, you immediately start work to your chosen centre the next day in which more training is continued.

Did they tell you when they would actually open for business? The Manager told us 1st June but this was a month ago but as the situation of coronavirus crisis deepens, have they given you any information when staff could come to work again

Currently all I know is the centre is due to open 1st June but it’s starting to feel unlikely. My apprenticeship starts in September so I don’t have to worry as much. I presume whenever it opens again staff will come in beforehand to give centres a deep clean.

Can I ask how much you pay for on-site accommodation each week?

Thanks for asking my questions, don’t want to pester them when they’ve got more urgent enquires to respond to haha.
Currently all I know is the centre is due to open 1st June but it’s starting to feel unlikely. My apprenticeship starts in September so I don’t have to worry as much. I presume whenever it opens again staff will come in beforehand to give centres a deep clean.

Can I ask how much you pay for on-site accommodation each week?

Thanks for asking my questions, don’t want to pester them when they’ve got more urgent enquires to respond to haha.

I can't remember the right amount of rent we paid even though we was all kicked out a month ago haha.

I can defintiely say It is not that much but i think it depends on what centre you are going at (I don't want to bait out which centre i work at) as each centre has different rents. My centre deducts the food and accommodation roughly around £120 from memory (not exact amount).

Coronavirus has unfortunately ruined the outdoor education industry and i'm struggling how PGL will adapt to the activities if it was really to come back this summer. I do not want to mention on this forum, how PGL did the 'social distancing' with staff and children and the activities, before this Lockdown....
(edited 3 years ago)

Hi I know this is old but kinda relevant, do you do training for activities leading during the training week or not

I want to apply to be an activity instructor from January to September next year but unsure of a few things, I have a background of scout leader and outdoor hobbies like climbing but no formal outdoor qualifications, would this mean I can't be an activity instructor or at least would not be running climbing activities and stuck on really basic activities?

I also have a question about pay, I have seen on other sites that in first years you are paid apprenticeship pay when your only on a gap year not wanting an apprenticeship? I k ow pay isn't great but I would hope to come out with more than I started with

You seem like you know a lot and I just want to know cause I have heard mixed reviews about PGL and I'm not sure atm

Thanks
Original post by Blueberrybluered
Hi I know this is old but kinda relevant, do you do training for activities leading during the training week or not

I want to apply to be an activity instructor from January to September next year but unsure of a few things, I have a background of scout leader and outdoor hobbies like climbing but no formal outdoor qualifications, would this mean I can't be an activity instructor or at least would not be running climbing activities and stuck on really basic activities?

I also have a question about pay, I have seen on other sites that in first years you are paid apprenticeship pay when your only on a gap year not wanting an apprenticeship? I k ow pay isn't great but I would hope to come out with more than I started with

You seem like you know a lot and I just want to know cause I have heard mixed reviews about PGL and I'm not sure atm

Thanks

I had no formal outdoor qualifications at all whatsoever. In the telephone interview, they just wanna about you and your experience, they hire anybody tbh.

Pay is low for different age groups. I'm 25+ so my pay was kind of high as an activity instructor but at the same time not because most goes through accommodation and food. Imagine if your in the 18-21 earning low minimum wage and having to pay accommodation alongside it.... It would be grim in my view.

The environment of PGL is disgusting, Every worker backstabbing each other. As an introvert, i'm still recovering the mean things some of my co workers and team leaders said behind my back. People are really evil and PGL opened my eyes for that. If you are a cocky, arrogant person though, then the job is for you and it should be fine.
Reply 8
Hi, sorry I know this is late but I had a question about training. Is there set times training will be at or is it as inconsistent as I've heard usual working hours are? I booked something before I applied for the job and it's fallen during training, it's 1 hour away from the centre I'll be working at, I'd have to leave at about 5:30/6 pm, do you think there is any chance of being able to go? No worries if you can't remember, thanks anyway.
Original post by gracem52
Hi, sorry I know this is late but I had a question about training. Is there set times training will be at or is it as inconsistent as I've heard usual working hours are? I booked something before I applied for the job and it's fallen during training, it's 1 hour away from the centre I'll be working at, I'd have to leave at about 5:30/6 pm, do you think there is any chance of being able to go? No worries if you can't remember, thanks anyway.

i haven't even been told about training or when I start :confused:
Reply 10
Original post by gracem52

Best people to get in touch with would be recruitment or the centre you're going to as nobody else is going to be in a position to answer your question as to whether you will be able to go.
Original post by Sitter
Best people to get in touch with would be recruitment or the centre you're going to as nobody else is going to be in a position to answer your question as to whether you will be able to go.

do you know if you get holiday? or just your days off
This isn't going to be a fun job for those who keep commenting on this thread....

I'm going back soon but i'm already planning my exit.

If you are extrovert and manic then it's for u but if you are not... then i don't know for you
Reply 13
Original post by danturpin
do you know if you get holiday? or just your days off

Yes, holiday is a statutory thing
Original post by Sitter
Yes, holiday is a statutory thing

i'm only working for this summer for peak season until uni in sept do you know if I would get any days off like do we get weekends off or not? I will be working at Boraton park (the Shropshire one).
Also if you do want to leave the job early how much of a notice do you have to give?
I was meant to do camp America this summer but it was cancelled so I applied to work for Nielson at one of their European hotels but have been told if we are allowed to travel they won't open until the 1st of July so I accepted the PGL job as it starts this Sunday so at least I get paid. But if Nielson can go ahead then i'll want to do it so how long would I have to give as a notice to quit PGL and what sort of things do they take as excuses to quit?
Reply 15
Original post by xocharl_j
i'm only working for this summer for peak season until uni in sept do you know if I would get any days off like do we get weekends off or not? I will be working at Boraton park (the Shropshire one).
Also if you do want to leave the job early how much of a notice do you have to give?
I was meant to do camp America this summer but it was cancelled so I applied to work for Nielson at one of their European hotels but have been told if we are allowed to travel they won't open until the 1st of July so I accepted the PGL job as it starts this Sunday so at least I get paid. But if Nielson can go ahead then i'll want to do it so how long would I have to give as a notice to quit PGL and what sort of things do they take as excuses to quit?

Your contract will tell you what the notice period is, likewise how many hours/days a week you are contracted for (e.g. if you are contracted to work your hours over 5 days, you'll get 2 days off a week)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending