The Student Room Group

TSR Christian Society

[scroll]Welcome to the TSR Christian Society![/scroll]

I am pleased to announce the thread for the new and updated TSR Christian Society. Here, we aim to meet together as fellow believers to share ideas, encourage each other, pray for each other and just grow as children of God.

If you're new please drop a hello below, maybe include your denomination (if you have one), how long you've been a Christian, and maybe your favourite worship song or bible verse.

whale image.jpg

POLITE NOTICE:

Even though this thread is aimed at Christians, we would love to have non-Christians drop in here on occasion. However, please note that any hate will not be tolerated. While we can discuss religion here, this is not a place for debate. If you would like to debate religion please start your own thread in the Religion section of Debate and Current Affairs.
(edited 8 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

A little bit of background about me:

I am 16 and I've attended church pretty much my whole life.
I'm a charismatic evangelical/baptist. When it comes to denominations, I think there is too much division, I would happily attend any church as long as they preached the truth.
I have way too many favourite Bible verses, I really love the psalms, especially 23 and 46 (because I'm very unoriginal :colondollar:)
My favourite worship song varies all the time. At the moment Im in love with Jireh and A Million Little Miracles by Elevation Worship.
:hi:

I'm TLG, former member of the previous Christian/X Soc (before it got weird/hardly used) and long-time TSRian (since 2008 :eek2: ). I'm a cradle Roman Catholic (baptised aged at 2 months old! Am 32 now :shakecane: ). I'm fairly irreverant/badly-behaved, though I do take my faith very seriously in my own way :smile: That said, I don't attend church as I have dispensation from various priests (religious buildings trigger my psychosis and have done for the past 11 years).

Favourite Psalm: 138 in Catholic Bibles (I think the Psalms are numbered differently in Protestant Bibles?) It's the psalm that talks about God knitting one together in one's mother's womb, and saying that there is no place to hide from God, coz He's everywhere

Favourite Bible verse: Isaiah 40:11.

Favourite Mass Biblical reading: Isaiah 9:1-5

Favourite saint: St Therese of Lisieux, followed by St Teresa of Avila :awesome: :awesome:

Religious music: I'm more a Gregorian plainchant/hymns goatherd than a worship song one :flute: Also love Baroque settings of Biblical passages, and Renaissance polyphony (e.g. Byrd service settings :love: )

I'll try not to Catholic spam you all too much but no promises :colone:

:angel:
hi! :woo:
CofE here :cool: my favourite worship song is New Wine by hillsong :biggrin:
Original post by heldbygrace

I am pleased to announce the thread for the new and updated TSR Christian Society. Here, we aim to meet together as fellow believers to share ideas, encourage each other, pray for each other and just grow as children of God.

If you're new please drop a hello below, maybe include your denomination (if you have one), how long you've been a Christian, and maybe your favourite worship song or bible verse.

whale image.jpg

POLITE NOTICE:

Even though this thread is aimed at Christians, we would love to have non-Christians drop in here on occasion. However, please note that any hate will not be tolerated. While we can discuss religion here, this is not a place for debate. If you would like to debate religion please start your own thread in the Religion section of Debate and Current Affairs.

good luck with this blog miriam:smile: from a athiest lol
Reply 5
I love this

So I’m 18. Was born into Christianity but I took it serious like this year, I’ve been trying for like 3 years. Just to mainly get to know God’s word for myself and to know and have a relationship with God. Not there yet but I’m trying

I’m a Pentecostal Christian, my favourite verse is 1 Peter 5:7 as I have to constantly remind myself not to stress so much and to give my burdens to the Lord as he cares, but at the same time I don’t want to disturb him with my problems all the time. And finally I have a lot of favourite gospel songs but my top 2 right now are Big and I got it which are both by Pastor Mike jr
You’ve just been infiltrated 😈
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
:hi:

I'm TLG, former member of the previous Christian/X Soc (before it got weird/hardly used) and long-time TSRian (since 2008 :eek2: ). I'm a cradle Roman Catholic (baptised aged at 2 months old! Am 32 now :shakecane: ). I'm fairly irreverant/badly-behaved, though I do take my faith very seriously in my own way :smile: That said, I don't attend church as I have dispensation from various priests (religious buildings trigger my psychosis and have done for the past 11 years).

Favourite Psalm: 138 in Catholic Bibles (I think the Psalms are numbered differently in Protestant Bibles?) It's the psalm that talks about God knitting one together in one's mother's womb, and saying that there is no place to hide from God, coz He's everywhere

Favourite Bible verse: Isaiah 40:11.

Favourite Mass Biblical reading: Isaiah 9:1-5

Favourite saint: St Therese of Lisieux, followed by St Teresa of Avila :awesome: :awesome:

Religious music: I'm more a Gregorian plainchant/hymns goatherd than a worship song one :flute: Also love Baroque settings of Biblical passages, and Renaissance polyphony (e.g. Byrd service settings :love: )

I'll try not to Catholic spam you all too much but no promises :colone:

:angel:

Hey TLG, glad you made it here :hugs:

There are baroque settings of Bible passages?? :eek4: Why didnt I know this. How can I find them? :colondollar:

Hehe, we can just protestant spam back :u:

:penguinhug:
Original post by laurawatt
hi! :woo:
CofE here :cool: my favourite worship song is New Wine by hillsong :biggrin:

Hey! :wavey:
ahhh I love that song too!! :yep:
Original post by Wise Goldie
good luck with this blog miriam:smile: from a athiest lol

Thanks goldie!! Hehe feel free to drop in whenever :tongue:
Original post by Ten-Ten
I love this

So I’m 18. Was born into Christianity but I took it serious like this year, I’ve been trying for like 3 years. Just to mainly get to know God’s word for myself and to know and have a relationship with God. Not there yet but I’m trying

I’m a Pentecostal Christian, my favourite verse is 1 Peter 5:7 as I have to constantly remind myself not to stress so much and to give my burdens to the Lord as he cares, but at the same time I don’t want to disturb him with my problems all the time. And finally I have a lot of favourite gospel songs but my top 2 right now are Big and I got it which are both by Pastor Mike jr

Aww thanks!

Well done for keeping trying, it is really hard but your faith will be so much better for struggling through and getting to know God closer. We're all here to cheer you on :yep: :rave:

I love that verse too! I think its interesting what you just said, I dont think I've ever heard someone say that about God (obviously all the time I hear people saying they dont want to burden others but not with God). I think the beauty of him is, is that to him we are both a tiny minute detail and the biggest most important thing to have ever existed. He loves us so much that he cares and pays attention to everything about us, even the hairs on our head. However at the same time he is so powerful that the biggest problems in our life must be trivial to him. Yes, he feels our pain and he wants us to get better, but thats so easy for him. He can move mountains!!! So I dont think you have to feel guilty about putting your problems on him, because they are so simple for him. And you know, he says that he wants to have a relationship with us, and he also tells us its fine to cry out to him. I know its hard to 'let go and let God' but just remember that your mountain is a stone to him; a very precious stone, but a small one. I hope that may have helped a bit? (Sorry if I've unecessarily given advice here :colondollar:, I just thought you may need a little encourgament with that)

Oooh I've never heard of him. I gonna listen to those songs definately!! :music:
Hey TLG, glad you made it here :hugs:

There are baroque settings of Bible passages?? :eek4: Why didnt I know this. How can I find them? :colondollar:

Hehe, we can just protestant spam back :u:

:penguinhug:

Yeah, like Handel's Messiah! Or J.S. Bach's Matthew Passion.

For example: I share this excerpt from Handel's Messiah every year on Christmas Day on my Facebook :biggrin:

Aww thanks!

Well done for keeping trying, it is really hard but your faith will be so much better for struggling through and getting to know God closer. We're all here to cheer you on :yep: :rave:

I love that verse too! I think its interesting what you just said, I dont think I've ever heard someone say that about God (obviously all the time I hear people saying they dont want to burden others but not with God). I think the beauty of him is, is that to him we are both a tiny minute detail and the biggest most important thing to have ever existed. He loves us so much that he cares and pays attention to everything about us, even the hairs on our head. However at the same time he is so powerful that the biggest problems in our life must be trivial to him. Yes, he feels our pain and he wants us to get better, but thats so easy for him. He can move mountains!!! So I dont think you have to feel guilty about putting your problems on him, because they are so simple for him. And you know, he says that he wants to have a relationship with us, and he also tells us its fine to cry out to him. I know its hard to 'let go and let God' but just remember that your mountain is a stone to him; a very precious stone, but a small one. I hope that may have helped a bit? (Sorry if I've unecessarily given advice here :colondollar:, I just thought you may need a little encourgament with that)

Oooh I've never heard of him. I gonna listen to those songs definately!! :music:

can i ask something to you about it but not in a rude way ?

okay so how much free thought do you have or is it all what your told to do?
do you pray daily?
how important are non relgi9ous people in your life?

sorry if these rude but i like asking stuff lol

whale image.jpg

POLITE NOTICE:

Hello, my name is wren (pronouns are they/them)
I've always been a Christian. And I guess I'd go with the classic 'love thy neighbor'
Aww thanks!

Thanks so much for the advice
Original post by Wise Goldie
can i ask something to you about it but not in a rude way ?

okay so how much free thought do you have or is it all what your told to do?
do you pray daily?
how important are non relgi9ous people in your life?

sorry if these rude but i like asking stuff lol

Sure, I never think you’re rude Goldie :h:

Ooh in with the tough questions. There are varying thoughts on how much free thoughts/will we have. I believe we have total free will. God knows what’s gonna happen in my life, but I’m still able to make my own choices. He just knows what I will choose. I don’t know if you’re familiar with the story of Jonah? He said no to God and tried to run away from him. Yes, he eventually ended up doing what God had asked, but he said no quite a few times before. I feel like I can make every choice in my life, but I know that whatever happens I will always be safe and loved by God. Even if I make the wrong choice, eventually I will be put back on the right path.
I try to pray daily and most days I achieve it. I tend to say a prayer before I go to bed and I also pray little prayers throughout the day. :smile:
Very important!!! All people are equally important to me. Yes, I like to be with other Christians, but I also like being with non-Christians. Chatting with people who don’t think the same way as you is very important for opening your mind and feeling like you have a greater sense in what you believe in.

Don’t apologise, ask as much as you like :yep:
Im 19, I've been a Christian since i was born cause my dad is a pastor, but i only recently got very serious when covid forced me to stay at home, so i slowly started reading my bible and praying more. I'm Pentecostal. My favourite bible verse is the one where Jesus says if the world hates you just know it hated me first John 15:18. My favourite song right now is promises by Maverick city.
Sure, I never think you’re rude Goldie :h:

Ooh in with the tough questions. There are varying thoughts on how much free thoughts/will we have. I believe we have total free will. God knows what’s gonna happen in my life, but I’m still able to make my own choices. He just knows what I will choose. I don’t know if you’re familiar with the story of Jonah? He said no to God and tried to run away from him. Yes, he eventually ended up doing what God had asked, but he said no quite a few times before. I feel like I can make every choice in my life, but I know that whatever happens I will always be safe and loved by God. Even if I make the wrong choice, eventually I will be put back on the right path.
I try to pray daily and most days I achieve it. I tend to say a prayer before I go to bed and I also pray little prayers throughout the day. :smile:
Very important!!! All people are equally important to me. Yes, I like to be with other Christians, but I also like being with non-Christians. Chatting with people who don’t think the same way as you is very important for opening your mind and feeling like you have a greater sense in what you believe in.

Don’t apologise, ask as much as you like :yep:

okay i ask more then lol i like asking stuff

do you think non religious like me go to hell?
are all your family christian?
have you looked at other faiths like islam?
Original post by WrenTheBest2004
Hello, my name is wren (pronouns are they/them)
I've always been a Christian. And I guess I'd go with the classic 'love thy neighbor'

:hi: nice to meet you
Thats awesome, ooh yep 'tis a classic :yep:
Original post by zodisagoddess21
Im 19, I've been a Christian since i was born cause my dad is a pastor, but i only recently got very serious when covid forced me to stay at home, so i slowly started reading my bible and praying more. I'm Pentecostal. My favourite bible verse is the one where Jesus says if the world hates you just know it hated me first John 15:18. My favourite song right now is promises by Maverick city.

Thats great to hear, I hope you continue to stay closer to God :yes: Ooh we have so many Pentecostals here already! So exciting :woo: I know I've heard about that verse before, but I completely forgot about it, it's really encouraging. Omd I love that one!! Its so good :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending