The Student Room Group

A-Level Psychology Tips/Advice?

I'm starting a-level psychology this September so can anyone give me some general tips/advice please?

I am not sure if exams have changed, but when I did Psychology A-level, we had to remember the researchers names and dates of studies, and what they did, so I found it really helpful to put these on flashcards you can revise from. Maybe have some flashcards of researchers that worked on similar topics, to remember in the exam, so if a topic comes up, you can remember the researchers you should include. If exams still contain essays, then practice them and time yourself, and practice without looking at notes etc. I hope you enjoy :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by jaxp
I'm starting a-level psychology this September so can anyone give me some general tips/advice please?

Question papers. Honestly doing question papers will help you so much with your knowledge for psychology
Hello!

I am a psychology PhD student so think I can give you some advice! My best tip would be to read around your subject to really get top marks. Focus on the research methods and results/implications more so than the names and dates. Finally, enjoy! :smile:
Original post by jaxp

Hey @jaxp,

I agree with the others, definitely spend time reading around the main theories and their limitations, and how the study was conducted; would this lead to any implications with regards to results, ethical issues etc etc. Also how the theory can be applied to different situations, does it claim that there is a one size fits all approach in a study or would something else be needed to explain someone's findings?

I hope it sparks your interest into a specific area of Psychology that you like too, as the course covers such an array of psychological topics :-)

Abigail
Arden University Student Ambassador
Reply 6
Original post by jaxp

It's quite content heavy so make sure you know your theories and especially the STUDIES inside out. I recommend making essay tables as they make they layout super clear and make it quite easy to remember the information. Also familiarising yourself with the command words in the questions is quite important. Don't stress out and have fun it's a really interesting subject :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by raven111
It's quite content heavy so make sure you know your theories and especially the STUDIES inside out. I recommend making essay tables as they make they layout super clear and make it quite easy to remember the information. Also familiarising yourself with the command words in the questions is quite important. Don't stress out and have fun it's a really interesting subject :smile:

What are essay tables?
Reply 8
Original post by jaxp
What are essay tables?

Basically in a table you would separate the columns up into A01 information and A03 information (one column for main evaluation another for counterpoint) and each row would account for a paragraph on your essay.
Definitely keep on track with psychology, there is a lot of theories and studies to remember. There is also research methods, which includes maths
Original post by raven111

I am in year 12 and my biggest mistake was not making revision resources as i went. It got to easter and I had to spend my whole break making flash cards and mind maps. I would definitely make flash cards after each lesson and keep them safe. It makes revising for exams so much easier, as you spend time on actually revising rather than making the resources.
I did essay plans for each topic then turned these into quizlets. Also, particularly for research methods and learning how to answer application questions, past papers are your best friend
Hi I’m in year 12 and just finished year 1 content for aqa psychology. There’s a lot of content so I suggest revise and you go along. There’s no use trying to cram it all in before mocks coz it just doesn’t work. After every lesson make revision cards. On the front have a question as a cue to the info on the back. Try learning 10 revision cards every weekend and at the end of each topic do a technique called blurting. This is basically where you write everything you can remember on a topic on a piece of paper without any notes present and then check to see what you still need to revise. This is a really useful method!
Psychology is such an interesting subject and the content comes in handy so often! You don’t realise how much we need the techniques learnt for simple tasks such as relaxation methods.
Anyway hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending