The Student Room Group

Book recommendations?

I really struggle to stay interested in a book and it has made me really dislike reading but I really want to start reading? What are some good book recommendations?

Scroll to see replies

I liked fishbowl by Bradley somer.
The chapters jump between the perspectives of different residents in the same building, so you want to keep reading because of the constant cliff hangers and wanting to find out what happens but that persons perspective won’t return for a couple chapters.
If you want a short novel in relatively simple language, try Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse, The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho or Billy Liar by Keith Waterhouse. Maybe the Hitchhiker's Guide series by Douglas Adams.

Crime and Punishment, one of the best novels ever written but quite a difficult read. If you want an engrossing story and are up for a bit of a challenge, highly recommend it. But on the other hand, if you struggle to stick with a book, having to continually look up in the footnotes what Dostoyevsky was referencing will seriously put you off.

Also I strongly feel the short story format is very overlooked nowadays, particularly in context of our short attention spans nowadays. Some good anthologies are:
- The Wonderful Story or Henry Sugar (and 6 other stories) by Roald Dahl (as long as you don't require all literature ever written to have been produced by people whose personal views match your own);
- Septuagenarian Stew by Charles Bukowski (as long as you don't require all literature ever written to have been produced by people who lived puritanical existences). This is a mixture of poetry and short stories;
- The Loneliness of the Long-DIstance Runner by Alan Sillitoe;
- Portrait of the Artist as a Young Dog by Dylan Thomas (again with the caveat about the author being puritanical);
- The Madman (His Parables and Poems) by Kahlil Gibran if you feel you might enjoy some rather poetic, partly philosophical and partly nonsensical short stories.

I had a really interesting anthology of Japenese folk stories I got for 50p from a charity shop a few years ago, which I'd have recommended too but lent it to a mate about 2 years ago and haven't got it back and can't remember what it was called.
Depends on what exactly you want to read :b
To get back into reading, YA/NA fiction is always fun. It’s also one of the most common genres(?) people read and write, so it’s almost certain you’ll find something you like as there are tropes and plots for everyone. Sarah J Maas, Cassandra Clare, Madeline Miller, Leigh Bardugo are some very popular YA authors with easily-approached books that have very good storytelling and world expanding.

It might even be worth picking up an old favourite book or one you enjoyed before to try and get you back into reading.
Reply 4
A book that has a great storyline, yet is easy to read is Gone by Micheal Grant.
I also obviously have to recommend the Hunger Games and Harry Potter if you've not read them.
They both die at the end by Adam Silvera is an amazing stand-alone book that is engaging and will make you cry.
Life after Life has a slow start but is amazing if you stick at it and don't let yourself get confused by the multiple narratives.
Eve of Man is another easy to read book that is very engaging, but unfortunately the 3rd book hasn't been released yet so you can't read the whole trilogy in one night yet.
Finally, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is a great story, with pictures to go along with it to help you stay engaged.
Original post by miao8
I really struggle to stay interested in a book and it has made me really dislike reading but I really want to start reading? What are some good book recommendations?

DIVERGENT by Veronica Roth
Original post by Katn1ss
A book that has a great storyline, yet is easy to read is Gone by Micheal Grant.
I also obviously have to recommend the Hunger Games and Harry Potter if you've not read them.
They both die at the end by Adam Silvera is an amazing stand-alone book that is engaging and will make you cry.
Life after Life has a slow start but is amazing if you stick at it and don't let yourself get confused by the multiple narratives.
Eve of Man is another easy to read book that is very engaging, but unfortunately the 3rd book hasn't been released yet so you can't read the whole trilogy in one night yet.
Finally, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is a great story, with pictures to go along with it to help you stay engaged.

yess girl hunger games is the best if you like that read divergent
How old are you OP? I don't want to recoment a book, but then turn out to be utterly unsuitable.
Reply 8
Original post by campann000
yess girl hunger games is the best if you like that read divergent

Yeah, I've already read it. I really enjoyed the first and second book, the third book was a bit meh though
My favourite authors are Fredrik Backman, Emily St. John Mandel, and Madeline Miller. I love all of their books! Some other books I would recommend are 'A Gentleman in Moscow' (My favourite book of all time) and A' Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue' series (can't wait for the third one!) x

Edit: 'They Both Die at the End' has already been said on here but I really recommend this as well! x
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Katn1ss
Yeah, I've already read it. I really enjoyed the first and second book, the third book was a bit meh though

THANK YOU!! i was not a big fan of the 3rd book
THANK YOU!! i was not a big fan of the 3rd book

WHY, I thought it was great?! I much preferred them to Divergent! I love the Maze runner too! I feel like those three trilogies go together well! x
they do ok i liked the 3rd Divergent i just did not like the ending it was kinda sad

Original post by 3250daisy
WHY, I thought it was great?! I much preferred them to Divergent! I love the Maze runner too! I feel like those three trilogies go together well! xya they
they do ok i liked the 3rd Divergent i just did not like the ending it was kinda sad

I know. Divergent is a good book for people just getting into reading I think

i wanted them to be happy at the end like kattness and peeta
i wanted them to be happy at the end like kattness and peeta

Yes! I cried at the first Hunger games movie though...
I know. Divergent is a good book for people just getting into reading I think

ya i have been into reading for a year but i do agree. i think there cute i wish there was a TV show i feel it would be better then the movies
Yes! I cried at the first Hunger games movie though...

omg so did i. i cryed reading the book when --- died

Spoiler

ya i have been into reading for a year but i do agree. i think there cute i wish there was a TV show i feel it would be better then the movies

yes maybe! Well i'm learning french, and i own Divergent in french, and it's quite good, because I know what happens, so I can read it quite easily and it helps me learn French
omg so did i. i cryed reading the book when --- died

Spoiler

ya, that would help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending