The Student Room Group

ABB Law Unis

Hi, so I have ABB in my A levels and wanted to do law, but most places I see are AAA or AAB and I’m just wondering if there are any good RG or other top universities which will accept these grades? I plan on applying for 2022 and currently have 2 B A-levels already, with a predicted grade of an A for the other one.
Reply 1
Original post by kzadboy7
Hi, so I have ABB in my A levels and wanted to do law, but most places I see are AAA or AAB and I’m just wondering if there are any good RG or other top universities which will accept these grades? I plan on applying for 2022 and currently have 2 B A-levels already, with a predicted grade of an A for the other one.

Probably not what you want to hear, but law is very competitive. It goes against you that you have not done all 3 A levels in the same year too. What are you planning to do next year before starting uni in 2022? If you do something relevant it could help your chances. I suggest taking a look at clearing options this year even if you want to wait a year to see the sort of offers available.
Reply 2

Hi,
I felt compelled to answer this question. In short law is very competitive I second that I had similar grades and went to a Uni in London. Worst mistake as there are such competitive and career ready students in law even at that early stage. I highly recommend you look into degrees where you can start a protected title role straight after ie. like pharmacy, nursing, paramedic. If you continue to do law and don't end up doing anything like it its counterproductive and you end up doing more for a regular bachelors degree with like high competition to secure the relevant roles such as trainee solicitor.
I know so many people who successfully finished wishing they done something more practical. If you don't even feel like listening to me take a year out work and then decide what it is you want to do. Don't jump into it.
Reply 3
Original post by AHKS
Probably not what you want to hear, but law is very competitive. It goes against you that you have not done all 3 A levels in the same year too. What are you planning to do next year before starting uni in 2022? If you do something relevant it could help your chances. I suggest taking a look at clearing options this year even if you want to wait a year to see the sort of offers available.

Hi so obviously I want to finish the other A level but I was also going to work as well and get some money behind me before I hopefully go to university. Is there anything I could be doing to increase my chances?
Reply 4
Original post by Xalwo
Hi,
I felt compelled to answer this question. In short law is very competitive I second that I had similar grades and went to a Uni in London. Worst mistake as there are such competitive and career ready students in law even at that early stage. I highly recommend you look into degrees where you can start a protected title role straight after ie. like pharmacy, nursing, paramedic. If you continue to do law and don't end up doing anything like it its counterproductive and you end up doing more for a regular bachelors degree with like high competition to secure the relevant roles such as trainee solicitor.
I know so many people who successfully finished wishing they done something more practical. If you don't even feel like listening to me take a year out work and then decide what it is you want to do. Don't jump into it.

Hi, thank you for the advice; I’m taking a year out next year (obviously to finish my other A level as well) but my dream is to be lawyer, although I’m not set completely on it; I was also considering psychology but I’m not too sure
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Hi, thank you for the advice; I’m taking a year out next year (obviously to finish my other A level as well) but my dream is to be lawyer, although I’m not set completely on it; I was also considering psychology but I’m not too sure

If you are interested in law and psychology maybe take a look at criminology courses,?
Reply 6
Original post by AHKS
If you are interested in law and psychology maybe take a look at criminology courses,?

I was considering doing law and criminology at Sheffield; they accept ABB if you qualify for the widening access offers, which I’m not sure if I do as I’m technically a young-adult carer, but I don’t know how I would tel then this and if it would make much difference
I was considering doing law and criminology at Sheffield; they accept ABB if you qualify for the widening access offers, which I’m not sure if I do as I’m technically a young-adult carer, but I don’t know how I would tel then this and if it would make much difference

Email their undergraduate admissions or the email associated with that course and inquire whether your situation fits their criteria - they'll be happy to inform you

Norton rose Fullbright are doing a Solictor apprenticeship for AAB I think which I know is above your grades but it’s worth a try . Law at the university of Cardiff requires AAB-ABB if all A levels are sat within 3 years and I know York accept resits too but you’d be required to achieve AAA or equivalent.
I got into Southampton through clearing last year with ABC! for an AAA offer, it is possible however clearing is your best bet into getting into a Russell group.
Reply 10
Original post by Geth071002
Norton rose Fullbright are doing a Solictor apprenticeship for AAB I think which I know is above your grades but it’s worth a try . Law at the university of Cardiff requires AAB-ABB if all A levels are sat within 3 years and I know York accept resits too but you’d be required to achieve AAA or equivalent.

Hi, I didn’t do any resits; I just changed a subject; do you think that will get held against me? And you may not know, but this is just curiosity, but what does “say in three years” mean; exams itself sat in three years or the subject itself is completed in three years?
Hi, I didn’t do any resits; I just changed a subject; do you think that will get held against me? And you may not know, but this is just curiosity, but what does “say in three years” mean; exams itself sat in three years or the subject itself is completed in three years?

Hello, staggering your a-levels shouldn't do too much harm. I did 3 A-levels in 2019, got ABE in Politics Music and Biology, in the 2020 series I swapped Bio for History got an A* in history. Applied for 2020 entry with ABE and an A* prediction and I'm currently at an RG uni studying law.
Original post by Tinders
Hello, staggering your a-levels shouldn't do too much harm. I did 3 A-levels in 2019, got ABE in Politics Music and Biology, in the 2020 series I swapped Bio for History got an A* in history. Applied for 2020 entry with ABE and an A* prediction and I'm currently at an RG uni studying law.

which uni big man
Reply 13
You can definitely get into RG unis with ABB. Check the universities website and see if they do summer programmes for a reduced offer.
Original post by EU Yakov
which uni big man

York:smile:
Original post by Tinders
York:smile:

nice
Original post by EU Yakov
nice

Thank you:smile:

Hi I applied to do law with criminology in September. At AS I had ABB. I applied to Cardiff (russell University) which grades are AAB-ABB, now my firmed choice. I applied to Swansea but I rejected the offere their grade boundaries are AAB-BBB. Yes law is competitive and to get in a good uni. What is going to account more is how well you do the degree and the process after finishing. Having a good set of grades is important but it isn't the end of the world. It's the same degree in all universities its just the name at the end of the day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending