The Student Room Group

University clearing?

I need BCC but i might get BCD or CCC , which is one grade difference or i will be very close to them .

If i dont reach my conditional offer, how does clearing work . And i know how but is the process hard and how much is the possibility of getting into my course with clearing with one grade difference.
Most unis will still accept you even if it is 1 grade different because it is better to have you with 1 grade different fill the spot than getting some random person from clearing with unknown grades that might be 3 grades different
That being said clearing is stressful, but if you have have 1 or 2 grades off you shouldn't find it too difficult to find a similar course at a different uni.
If you miss your firm choice, your insurance still might accept you!
I think it is very dependent on the university course that you have selected and the demand for the course that year. I am sure these are not the uncertain terms you want to hear.

There is every likelihood that the university admissions team will be understanding and you will still be accepted into your course - if demand is not too high and you are very close. But I would ensure that you have as many options open to you as possible. If you miss your offer, those few days after results day will be stressful if you are not prepared. Make a list of universities that you would be happy to go to, instead of your firmed choice. Check on their website what their entry requirements usually are and remember that drop somewhat if they go into clearing (but do not rely on them dropping too significantly) - you could even email the admissions team to see if they can give you any extra help - if they have spaces etc.

Just do not be left without options or it has the capability of being a stressful few days - so be prepared before to avoid that stress!

Good luck though! I hope you do not need any of this advice and you get your required grades.
Original post by Kiwi1238
I need BCC but i might get BCD or CCC , which is one grade difference or i will be very close to them .

If i dont reach my conditional offer, how does clearing work . And i know how but is the process hard and how much is the possibility of getting into my course with clearing with one grade difference.

Hey @Kiwi1238

As others have said there is the possibility that your first choice will still accept you with a grade lowered.

If not there are a few things you can do to make the clearing process quicker-its not a hard process but can sometimes be pretty long and tedious. My advice is to do some research beforehand so you know which Universities offer your course and usually end up in clearing. Then try and rank those and decide which you might want to go to. Collect contact details for this Uni and then do the same for your top couple. It sounds a little over the top but an excel spreadsheet with the relevant Universities and their contact details as well as some notes on how you feel about that University could save a lot of time and frustration on the day. I've never personally known anyone not get a Uni place through clearing if they wanted one, so you should be able to find something.

I hope this helps
Zoe
Second year Biological sciences and student ambassador

Universities get the results before you.

Rejections are not automatic. Staff will look at every applicant to compare results to the offers and those that moss their offers will be considered for confirmation BEFORE results day.

If your Track says your offer is unconditional on results day then you’re accepted and you don’t need to do anything (except celebrate).

If Track says you’re unsuccessful on results day then the university cannot take you for that course with your results. You’ll need to go to your insurance or find a place elsewhere in clearing.

If Track hasn’t changed on results day then you’ll need to contact your firm choice and ask them when they expect to make a decision. They might need to talk to you about a place on a different course with lower requirements.
Reply 6
Original post by graceflood
I think it is very dependent on the university course that you have selected and the demand for the course that year. I am sure these are not the uncertain terms you want to hear.

There is every likelihood that the university admissions team will be understanding and you will still be accepted into your course - if demand is not too high and you are very close. But I would ensure that you have as many options open to you as possible. If you miss your offer, those few days after results day will be stressful if you are not prepared. Make a list of universities that you would be happy to go to, instead of your firmed choice. Check on their website what their entry requirements usually are and remember that drop somewhat if they go into clearing (but do not rely on them dropping too significantly) - you could even email the admissions team to see if they can give you any extra help - if they have spaces etc.

Just do not be left without options or it has the capability of being a stressful few days - so be prepared before to avoid that stress!

Good luck though! I hope you do not need any of this advice and you get your required grades.

Thank you for the advice , i will definitely get prepared since i already know im not getting them so it's fine. 😊
Reply 7
Original post by UniofReading
Hey @Kiwi1238

As others have said there is the possibility that your first choice will still accept you with a grade lowered.

If not there are a few things you can do to make the clearing process quicker-its not a hard process but can sometimes be pretty long and tedious. My advice is to do some research beforehand so you know which Universities offer your course and usually end up in clearing. Then try and rank those and decide which you might want to go to. Collect contact details for this Uni and then do the same for your top couple. It sounds a little over the top but an excel spreadsheet with the relevant Universities and their contact details as well as some notes on how you feel about that University could save a lot of time and frustration on the day. I've never personally known anyone not get a Uni place through clearing if they wanted one, so you should be able to find something.

I hope this helps
Zoe
Second year Biological sciences and student ambassador

This did help me a lot and calmed me down to be honest. But i do have one question. Can you call any uni and not only the ones you applied for ? 😊
This did help me a lot and calmed me down to be honest. But i do have one question. Can you call any uni and not only the ones you applied for ? 😊

In clearing you can ring any university (although if you ring universities that aren’t advertising vacancies then you’ll be wasting a lot of time to be told “no” over and over again).
Reply 9
Original post by PQ
In clearing you can ring any university (although if you ring universities that aren’t advertising vacancies then you’ll be wasting a lot of time to be told “no” over and over again).

How would i know if they are advertising vacancies?
Reply 10
Original post by Proxenus
Zoe idk if you remember but we hooked up in the toilets if the oracle shopping centre

Teaaa
How would i know if they are advertising vacancies?

UCAS course search has an option to show only courses with vacancies.
Universities also list vacancies on their websites (usually the same list but sometimes websites are a bit more up to date than UCAS)

Hey @Kiwi1238,

I'm really glad this has helped you out! Yes during clearing you can call any uni you like, however try not to call too many - on the day often the lines are incredibly busy and it can take hours just to get through to one uni. So its worth making a list beforehand!

You can register your interest for the University of Readings clearing lines now, which will give you priority on the day if you need it. It might be worth checking if other universities do this too.

I hope this helps!

Daisy
2nd year politics and international relations student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending