The Student Room Group

Pupils cheating...

I'm sure everyone's heard of the Discord server where pupils are sharing the test paper and answers. This is absolutely outrageous, the Scottish education system failed. This is wholly unfair for pupils who don't wish to cheat. Will the SQA do anything about this?

Scroll to see replies

nope
don't think there is much they can do at this late stage, teachers are already aware and will investigate any main assessment results which are noticeably higher than previous work, working/target grades or recent interim assessment results

anyone suspected of malpractice risk getting their grades cancelled
I think this is the reason why SQA really made the higher papers tough this year. I have never gotten below 90% in higher chemistry this year. my higher chemistry class test results have been: 97%, 90%, 93%, 90%, 93% and 100%. I did the exam today and I think I got 72 - 78%. It was really tough. Higher Maths was also really tough and the Higher English RUAE was a little bit hard though not too hard. The 2019 Higher chemistry past paper was so much easier compared to this years.
(edited 2 years ago)
I've done higher maths, English and chemistry so far. They were hard, but wouldn't say I found any of them harder than the past higher papers I did. There was one question in the chemistry paper none of my class could answer as we had never done it, but it was only 2 marks. Will find out when we get our results 😱

I've got physics tomorrow and French on Friday afternoon, then I am done. I plan to spend this whole weekend sleeping!!!!!!
We must call the UN to speak on this first world problem. IMMEDIATELY!👨🏽*⚖️🇺🇳
I mean, at the end of the day it won’t be benefitting them at all. Sure, they’ll get good grades (maybe) but it’s really just doing them a disservice because it means they might get caught and have their results cancelled or they just won’t be able to progress properly for uni or college. Unless they don’t need the subject, then I suppose it’s not a big deal.

I don’t know why it’s affecting you if you don’t want to cheat. If you don’t want to cheat then I’m going to assume you’re well prepared for your exams so why do you have to worry? People Ik cheated on some of their assessments and still didn’t do very well.

I feel no sympathy for the exam boards or students who think they’re entitled because they chose not to cheat (and I’m saying this as someone who didn’t cheat at all) because we were all so royally ****ed over by the sqa and our schools this year. These exams didn’t ****ing exist two months ago and they placed so much unnecessary stress and pressure on us but they think it’s fine because they called them assessments and not exams, yet these assessments cause the same stress as exams, have the same consequences for our futures, and are exactly the same as our exams.
Original post by BlackLab
I've done higher maths, English and chemistry so far. They were hard, but wouldn't say I found any of them harder than the past higher papers I did. There was one question in the chemistry paper none of my class could answer as we had never done it, but it was only 2 marks. Will find out when we get our results 😱

I've got physics tomorrow and French on Friday afternoon, then I am done. I plan to spend this whole weekend sleeping!!!!!!

Yeah, I noticed that some of the papers were quite hard as from what I’ve heard from others and experienced myself.

The French listening was AWFUL in my experience and no one in my class liked it.

My essay questions for advanced mods were just straight up difficult and hard to answer and lay out.

Also heard from those doing other subjects that chemistry, maths, and English were quite difficult (highers)
Just done my higher physics today and it was tough but ok, got stuck on the first question which panicked me a bit, but after that think I did ok. There was one other question in it I was reallynunsure of but got the same answer as the class physics genius so hopefully it's right!

Higher French for us tomorrow, now really looking forward to the listening 🤦🏻 🤣 What was bad about it, was it the accents, speed or really complex language? (Not looking to cheat!!)
Just done my higher physics today and it was tough but ok, got stuck on the first question which panicked me a bit, but after that think I did ok. There was one other question in it I was reallynunsure of but got the same answer as the class physics genius so hopefully it's right!

Higher French for us tomorrow, now really looking forward to the listening 🤦🏻 🤣 What was bad about it, was it the accents, speed or really complex language? (Not looking to cheat!!)

The first one wasn’t too bad, I don’t think.

The second one I just had no clue what she was talking about half the time. The speaker also CONSTANTLY smacked her lips together and it was so loud and distracting. Everyone in the class hated it lol.
Hopefully we didn’t do too badly but there’s talks of resitting papers if the majority of people did poorly.
Original post by cchloepx
The first one wasn’t too bad, I don’t think.

The second one I just had no clue what she was talking about half the time. The speaker also CONSTANTLY smacked her lips together and it was so loud and distracting. Everyone in the class hated it lol.
Hopefully we didn’t do too badly but there’s talks of resitting papers if the majority of people did poorly.

Did the French yesterday and agree the listening was hard the lip smacking didn't bother me much, but they just weren't very clear speakers, even our teacher (who heard it for the first time yesterday) said it was terrible.

That is my final assessment done, glad it is all over! Just need to wait for the results now 😨
Original post by StudentForSQA
I think this is the reason why SQA really made the higher papers tough this year. I have never gotten below 90% in higher chemistry this year. my higher chemistry class test results have been: 97%, 90%, 93%, 90%, 93% and 100%. I did the exam today and I think I got 72 - 78%. It was really tough. Higher Maths was also really tough and the Higher English RUAE was a little bit hard though not too hard. The 2019 Higher chemistry past paper was so much easier compared to this years.

i did the chmeistry paper one the other day and i found it so tough :redface:
Did the French yesterday and agree the listening was hard the lip smacking didn't bother me much, but they just weren't very clear speakers, even our teacher (who heard it for the first time yesterday) said it was terrible.

That is my final assessment done, glad it is all over! Just need to wait for the results now 😨

Ah, glad you’re done. I still have my source papers for politics and modern studies but they’re not until the 2nd and 3rd of June so it’s a short wait. Nothing to worry about though- just desperate for the results for my essay papers and modern studies dissertation!
Back to studying this weekend 🤬. It is clear there has been cheating in Higher Physics at our school so we are all resitting a different assessment next week. Have heard other schools in our area are doing similar.

Thankfully it is just the multiple choice paper for us as some got a very obvious >90% in paper 1 and then got <45% in paper 2.

Anyone who drops their paper 1 marks very significantly will be getting interviewed by the HOY and HT for suspected malpractice. The new paper 1 marks will be used for the grading and if you don't turn up for the reassessment you get 0 marks for paper 1.

Hope the cheaters are f***ing nervous, as they have ruined our first free from study weekend we've had for months! 🤬🤬🤬🤬
Back to studying this weekend 🤬. It is clear there has been cheating in Higher Physics at our school so we are all resitting a different assessment next week. Have heard other schools in our area are doing similar.

Thankfully it is just the multiple choice paper for us as some got a very obvious >90% in paper 1 and then got <45% in paper 2.

Anyone who drops their paper 1 marks very significantly will be getting interviewed by the HOY and HT for suspected malpractice. The new paper 1 marks will be used for the grading and if you don't turn up for the reassessment you get 0 marks for paper 1.

Hope the cheaters are f***ing nervous, as they have ruined our first free from study weekend we've had for months! 🤬🤬🤬🤬

Yeah, the physics paper definitely got leaked, I saw someone posting the questions from it on Reddit! I instantly recognized the question and it seemed like they had a pdf of the question paper, how did the SQA mess up this bad it is so unfair
I have no sympathy for anyone who shared papers or used them and gets caught and grades cancelled. They are the ones who have cheated and have the personal responsibility for that not the SQA. They are the ones that mean our whole year need to resit another assessment.
Original post by weaselll11
Yeah, the physics paper definitely got leaked, I saw someone posting the questions from it on Reddit! I instantly recognized the question and it seemed like they had a pdf of the question paper, how did the SQA mess up this bad it is so unfair

I have no sympathy for anyone who shared papers or used them and gets caught and grades cancelled. They are the ones who have cheated and have the personal responsibility for that not the SQA. They are the ones that mean our whole year need to resit another assessment.

I've not been up to date on Scottish exams -are these class tests like in England or normal formal exams? If the latter, that's pretty embarrassing from SQA's side.
(edited 2 years ago)
It wasn't formal exams, sqa provided resources which schools had the option to use, most schools did use them. schools did assessments on different dates, and pupils shared the questions.

Not the best system, but personal responsibility still lies with the pupils that cheated, can't shift the blame to someone else, if they decided to cheat they deserve the consequences.
Original post by cchloepx
I mean, at the end of the day it won’t be benefitting them at all. Sure, they’ll get good grades (maybe) but it’s really just doing them a disservice because it means they might get caught and have their results cancelled or they just won’t be able to progress properly for uni or college. Unless they don’t need the subject, then I suppose it’s not a big deal.

I don’t know why it’s affecting you if you don’t want to cheat. If you don’t want to cheat then I’m going to assume you’re well prepared for your exams so why do you have to worry? People Ik cheated on some of their assessments and still didn’t do very well.

I feel no sympathy for the exam boards or students who think they’re entitled because they chose not to cheat (and I’m saying this as someone who didn’t cheat at all) because we were all so royally ****ed over by the sqa and our schools this year. These exams didn’t ****ing exist two months ago and they placed so much unnecessary stress and pressure on us but they think it’s fine because they called them assessments and not exams, yet these assessments cause the same stress as exams, have the same consequences for our futures, and are exactly the same as our exams.

It affects people who didn’t cheat because schools will probably set grade boundaries based on a curve of results.
Original post by IbeIC123
It affects people who didn’t cheat because schools will probably set grade boundaries based on a curve of results.

I really doubt that will happen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending