The Student Room Group

Confusion over degree grades

Hi

I'm currently a student at Staffordshire University, and I'm a little confused how the grading works with a degree. I've noticed each module is worth 30 credits, but how do they affect your final degree (First, Second, Third). I'm currently studying for an Undergraduate BA (Hons) in Games Art, and I've screwed up one of the modules (I suspected I would as I'd been struggling with it and wasn't particularly enjoying it). My grade has come through and I got around 50/100, which is a Third...?
Ideally, I want to aim for a First Class Degree by the end. But will flubbing up that one module affect the final degree, and/or the amount of credits for it...?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DustyShinigami
Hi

I'm currently a student at Staffordshire University, and I'm a little confused how the grading works with a degree. I've noticed each module is worth 30 credits, but how do they affect your final degree (First, Second, Third). I'm currently studying for an Undergraduate BA (Hons) in Games Art, and I've screwed up one of the modules (I suspected I would as I'd been struggling with it and wasn't particularly enjoying it). My grade has come through and I got around 50/100, which is a Third...?
Ideally, I want to aim for a First Class Degree by the end. But will flubbing up that one module affect the final degree, and/or the amount of credits for it...?

What year are you in? You need to figure out whether or not this current year of study counts towards your degree classification.

You need to check this yourself, but I'll give an example:
Let's say only second and third year counts towards your final degree classification at Staffordshire, and that each year is worth 50-50. (i.e. 0.5 each). In this case, the equation to work out your overall percentage/degree mark is

Final percentage = ((SUM of all modules taken in 2nd year (number of credits a module is worth * percentage for that module)) / number of credits taken in 2nd year) * 0.5 + ((SUM of all modules taken in 3rd year (number of credits a module is worth * percentage for that module)) / number of credits taken in 3rd year) * 0.5

Final percentage
70+ = First
60-69 = 2:1
50-59 = 2:2
40-49 = 3rd
(edited 2 years ago)
Staffordshire classification calculation:

The base classification is calculated using level 5 and level 6 study weighted at 30% and 70% respectively. The lowest scoring module (to a maximum of 30 credits) is discounted in recognition of a student’s consistent overall performance and to allow students to explore learning without fear of failure. There is only one criterion for a raise in classification and this is where a student’s base classification is within 2% of the higher classification (i.e. 48%, 68%) and has 60 level 6 credits in the higher classification. The University also imposes limits on the number of re-sit opportunities available to students. In keeping with sector norms, students have one opportunity to re-sit an assessment. The mark for this will be restricted to the basic pass mark. Should students require it, they may have one opportunity to retake a module the following year.”

https://www.staffs.ac.uk/students/course-administration/academic-policies-and-regulations/degree-outcomes-statement

So first year doesn’t count at all

Your lowest scoring module of second or third year is discounted and then your second year average counts for 30% of your final grade, and the third year average the other 70%
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Blue_Cow
What year are you in? You need to figure out whether or not this current year of study counts towards your degree classification.

You need to check this yourself, but I'll give an example:
Let's say only second and third year counts towards your final degree classification at Staffordshire, and that each year is worth 50-50. (i.e. 0.5 each). In this case, the equation to work out your overall percentage/degree mark is

Final percentage = ((SUM of all modules taken in 2nd year (number of credits a module is worth * percentage for that module)) / number of credits taken in 2nd year) * 0.5 + ((SUM of all modules taken in 3rd year (number of credits a module is worth * percentage for that module)) / number of credits taken in 3rd year) * 0.5

Final percentage
70+ = First
60-69 = 2:1
50-59 = 2:2
40-49 = 3rd

I'm in my second year, which I believe counts towards the degree.

Thanks for trying to explain. Sadly, due to dyscalculia, and really struggling to process calculations/percentages, I'm even more confused. :colondollar:

Thanks for trying to explain. Sadly, due to dyscalculia, and really struggling to process calculations/percentages, I'm even more confused. :colondollar:

Okay, how about if I explain it like this:

Credits determine how much "weight" a module has. You usually do 120 credits each year, so imagine 120 credits = a full pizza or something

Imagine if I took a 10 credit module and I got 50% - that means I effectively banked 5 credits because half of 10 is 5.

That means I have banked a fraction, 5 out of 120 (5/120) worth of marks from that 10 credit module alone. That is how much it affects the average for that year.

Does that kind of make more sense? I guess to answer your original post/question, one module shouldn't affect your entire degree, far from it. Your other modules will bring your averages up I'm sure.

Your lowest module grade gets discounted.
Your second year counts for 30%
And final year for 70%.

So one bad module will not hurt your ability to gain a first class.
(Original post by GabiAbi84)Staffordshire classification calculation:

The base classification is calculated using level 5 and level 6 study weighted at 30% and 70% respectively. The lowest scoring module (to a maximum of 30 credits) is discounted in recognition of a student’s consistent overall performance and to allow students to explore learning without fear of failure. There is only one criterion for a raise in classification and this is where a student’s base classification is within 2% of the higher classification (i.e. 48%, 68%) and has 60 level 6 credits in the higher classification. The University also imposes limits on the number of re-sit opportunities available to students. In keeping with sector norms, students have one opportunity to re-sit an assessment. The mark for this will be restricted to the basic pass mark. Should students require it, they may have one opportunity to retake a module the following year.”

https://www.staffs.ac.uk/students/course-administration/academic-policies-and-regulations/degree-outcomes-statement

Your lowest scoring module of second or third year is discounted and then your second year average counts for 30% of your final grade, and the third year average the other 70%

Huh. Confusing still, but okay. So, the 30 and 70% weight is given based on the average of how well you've done overall...? So, like... if you achieve a First (70+/100) in the other modules...? I take it you get the credits (30) so long as you pass...?
(edited 2 years ago)
(Original post by GabiAbi84)Staffordshire classification calculation:
Huh. Confusing still, but okay. So, the 30 and 70% weight is given based on the average of how well you've done overall...? So, like... if you achieve a First (70+/100) in the other modules...? I take it you get the credits (30) so long as you pass...?

You get the credits as long as you pass the module.

The 30/70 split is so that third year is more important than second year.

If your modules are all worth 30credits then your second year average would be
Add up the module grade percentage then divide it by 4. (Since you get to discount your worst grade you would then add up the remaining 3 and divide by 3)

Your final classification would then be

(Second year average x0.3)+(third year average x0.7) = final mark
Original post by Blue_Cow
Okay, how about if I explain it like this:

Credits determine how much "weight" a module has. You usually do 120 credits each year, so imagine 120 credits = a full pizza or something

Imagine if I took a 10 credit module and I got 50% - that means I effectively banked 5 credits because half of 10 is 5.

That means I have banked a fraction, 5 out of 120 (5/120) worth of marks from that 10 credit module alone. That is how much it affects the average for that year.

Does that kind of make more sense? I guess to answer your original post/question, one module shouldn't affect your entire degree, far from it. Your other modules will bring your averages up I'm sure.

A bit. :smile: But it's reassuring to know that ballsing up one module won't affect the entire degree. :yeah:
Original post by GabiAbi84
You get the credits as long as you pass the module.

The 30/70 split is so that third year is more important than second year.

If your modules are all worth 30credits then your second year average would be
Add up the module grade percentage then divide it by 4. (Since you get to discount your worst grade you would then add up the remaining 3 and divide by 3)

Your final classification would then be

(Second year average x0.3)+(third year average x0.7) = final mark

I did find this 8 year old thread. Is the working out from this accurate...? Specifically, post #5...? https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2052126#post38484162

Also, once all marks have been received, will there be something to say what the average is?
(edited 2 years ago)
I did find this 8 year old thread. Is the working out from this accurate...? Specifically, post #5...? https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2052126#post38484162

Also, once all marks have been received, will there be something to say what the average is?

You said all your modules were worth 30 credits.
So presumably you have done 4 modules this year, yes?
You said all your modules were worth 30 credits.
So presumably you have done 4 modules this year, yes?

Yeah, 4 modules. Currently finishing up the final one, which ends the 4 June, I believe.
Yeah, 4 modules. Currently finishing up the final one, which ends the 4 June, I believe.

So your second year average is your four module scores (as a percent) added together and divided by four.

If your module that you didn’t do as well in is your lowest scoring module of your second and third year you get to discount it in which case your second year score would be the other three modules added together and divided by 3.
Thanks for the explanation, guys. ^^
Thanks for the explanation, guys. ^^

Hi @DustyShinigami

Thanks for raising this. It looks like you've had plenty of advice on this one, but it's always worth contacting our Student Hub with any concerns over grades and how they might affect your overall classification.

They can also offer advice if you're struggling with anything on your course - https://www.staffs.ac.uk/student-hub

Best wishes,

Shaun
Hi

Hello!

I would recommend emailing your personal tutor or the head of your course to ask for some information about how your final year will be graded. It will differ depending on each course and faculty at the uni so it's best to ask and see! :smile:

For me, in my first and second year at uni, the lowest scoring module was removed and then the overall grade for the year was the average from the remaining five modules. This may be the case for you where your lowest scoring module is removed from your average. This helped my grade improve massively by removing the lowest scoring module!

For grading the final year, some courses will have a 10% contribution from first year to the final year grade, whereas others take the best 6 grades from the modules from year 2 and year 3, or just use the final year grade only.

It's worth an ask, especially as certain modules may be weighted differently!

Sam- Official Student Rep :smile:
Hi could you help me work out mine please ?
Staffordshire classification calculation:

Hi could you please help me to work out mine
Original post by Shantae 10
Hi could you help me work out mine please ?

What uni are you at?
What year are you in?
What grades/module results do you have?
What uni are you at?
What year are you in?
What grades/module results do you have?

Hi I’m in 3rd year
Staffs uni
And this is my exact results

63 - 30 credits
43 R - 60 credits. (I had to retake a presentation and my resit result was 67 but it got capped)
64 -15 credits
67 -15 credits

Level 5 all my grades are as follows

62 - 30 credits
55- 30 credits
64 -30 credits
40 - 30 credits ( but I’m sure they disregard your worse grade at L5?)

Quick Reply

Latest