The Student Room Group

A100 International Students 2022 Entry Thread

Scroll to see replies

I didn’t get any offers last year - Which colleges should I look at which are relatively easier to get in? I realise this is a broad question but which universities would be considered “safety schools”.
Original post by Lostguy001
I didn’t get any offers last year - Which colleges should I look at which are relatively easier to get in? I realise this is a broad question but which universities would be considered “safety schools”.

'safety schools' depend on your strengths and weaknesses. If you have a high UCAT but low GCSE score it would be foolish to apply to Cardiff, but then Bristol can become your 'safety school' since you'll almost be guaranteed an interview.

so post your stats in the "ultimate am I good enough for medicine angst thread" and they will tell you what's good for you. Of course a large part of this depends on your UCAT / BMAT scores.

Edit: You can't tell of 'safety schools' by competition ratios. For example, Bristol has an applicant: offer ratio of almost 16:1 for internationals, but with a high UCAT (+2870 this year) at interview, the applicant : offer ratio is 2.5 : 1 which I would say is 'safe'.
(edited 2 years ago)
Does getting a degree from Northumbria allow you to become a registered doctor in the uk even though it is not gmc approved?

Thank you so much in advance :smile:
Reply 43
Hey people,
I need some help.
I am currently in grade X in India (or year 11 as you say in the UK).
I think I am academically and otherwise a good student if I say so myself.
I got 94.3 percent last year in grade IX, and I've been doing several reputed courses, national competitions, international competitions etcetera. (my portfolio: bhvikm.weebly.com) (I am NOT a good designer for portfolios lol)
I also shall be doing APs soon (which is a requirement along with CBSE for Cambridge)
I can only apply to 4 unis, which I have thought of are- Cambridge, KCL, Edinburgh/QueenMary, Birmingham/Nottingham. So, the help I need is basically to identify if I am 'good enough' for these unis, and if not, how do I get better? Any personal experiences as a med student-international, in the UK. I really, really wish to study medicine, and specifically in the UK. Thanks. :smile:
Reply 44
Thanks! I shall appreciate it.
Original post by bhvikm_
Hey people,
I need some help.
I am currently in grade X in India (or year 11 as you say in the UK).
I think I am academically and otherwise a good student if I say so myself.
I got 94.3 percent last year in grade IX, and I've been doing several reputed courses, national competitions, international competitions etcetera. (my portfolio: bhvikm.weebly.com) (I am NOT a good designer for portfolios lol)
I also shall be doing APs soon (which is a requirement along with CBSE for Cambridge)
I can only apply to 4 unis, which I have thought of are- Cambridge, KCL, Edinburgh/QueenMary, Birmingham/Nottingham. So, the help I need is basically to identify if I am 'good enough' for these unis, and if not, how do I get better? Any personal experiences as a med student-international, in the UK. I really, really wish to study medicine, and specifically in the UK. Thanks. :smile:

Hey!

Firstly, I checked out your portfolio and might I say it was pretty impressive!!

For most medical schools in the UK, however, your extra curricular activities are far less important than your academic grades (more specifically your Grade X scores, your Grade XII predicteds, and your scores on admissions tests - the UCAT or BMAT).

Cambridge in particular, would care very little about your extra curricular interests - however they would be interested in your supra curricular interests (which could be some research / medicine related activity). They would also care more about your BMAT scores (which need to be very high to gain an offer), and your past academic record. As you know, CBSE is deemed slightly less competitive and thus puts you at a disadvantage here.

KCL would score you on the basis of GCSE results and your UCAT score. Since you don’t have GCSE results but CBSE Grade X qualifications, this might put you at a disadvantage - because it might mean that they will require a higher UCAT score from you in order to be selected for interview. Anecdotally, someone who scored in the 94 percentile, had scored 97% in Grade X and predicted 94% in Grade XII was rejected... For those with no GCSEs, they tend to need a higher UCAT score from you.

I’m not entirely sure of the selection process for the other universities but will get back to you.

but my point being that you being “good enough” will depend on what the university uses in their selection process. Hopefully it’s more evident now that your extra curriculars (while important to mention in PS) will have little bearing in your selection for interview.

also, just to add, you can send off only one LOR (called the reference in the UK) via UCAS. This is often provided by a teacher who knows you well (usually in a relevant subject such as Biology / Chemistry, especially for Cambridge) who can comment on your academic qualities, your personal qualities / extra curriculars and your motivation for Medicine.

Even in your PS, you should focus more on your motivation for medicine and exploration for the same (such as Work Experience), and use your extra curriculars to demonstrate your qualities (leadership, teamwork, etc.).
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by qwert7890
Hey!

Firstly, I checked out your portfolio and might I say it was pretty impressive!!

For most medical schools in the UK, however, your extra curricular activities are far less important than your academic grades (more specifically your Grade X scores, your Grade XII predicteds, and your scores on admissions tests - the UCAT or BMAT).

Cambridge in particular, would care very little about your extra curricular interests - however they would be interested in your supra curricular interests (which could be some research / medicine related activity). They would also care more about your BMAT scores (which need to be very high to gain an offer), and your past academic record. As you know, CBSE is deemed slightly less competitive and thus puts you at a disadvantage here.

KCL would score you on the basis of GCSE results and your UCAT score. Since you don’t have GCSE results but CBSE Grade X qualifications, this might put you at a disadvantage - because it might mean that they will require a higher UCAT score from you in order to be selected for interview. Anecdotally, someone who scored in the 94 percentile, had scored 97% in Grade X and predicted 94% in Grade XII was rejected... For those with no GCSEs, they tend to need a higher UCAT score from you.

I’m not entirely sure of the selection process for the other universities but will get back to you.

but my point being that you being “good enough” will depend on what the university uses in their selection process. Hopefully it’s more evident now that your extra curriculars (while important to mention in PS) will have little bearing in your selection for interview.

also, just to add, you can send off only one LOR (called the reference in the UK) via UCAS. This is often provided by a teacher who knows you well (usually in a relevant subject such as Biology / Chemistry, especially for Cambridge) who can comment on your academic qualities, your personal qualities / extra curriculars and your motivation for Medicine.

Even in your PS, you should focus more on your motivation for medicine and exploration for the same (such as Work Experience), and use your extra curriculars to demonstrate your qualities (leadership, teamwork, etc.).

Thank you so much. I appreciate it very much. I shall work harder for my BMAT and UCAT. I wish to apply to Cambridge, KCL, Edinburgh/Queen Mary, Birmingham/Nottingham. Which one would you say COULD potentially take me in? And I have started preparing for the admission tests early on, so I am making an educated guess that I should potentially get a nice score. Also, could you recommend me something for a 'backup', a university where I WOULD get in (a very high chance, if not a hundred percent)?
Reply 47
Thank you!
Reply 48
If you have achieved the minimum a level pred requirements for med and you do not exceed them, will you be disadvantaged as opposed to someone who has higher preds than you? (For internationals)
Reply 49
Thank you, do you know the ones where one would be disadvantaged?
Reply 50
It's still too early for me but I have a couple in mind some of which are Newcastle, St Andrews, Glasgow, UEA and a few others.
Reply 51
Will do thanks for your help
Hi everyone,I am a Canadian student that is going into my 4th year of uni in Canada but will not be having a degree by the end of year due to a program change last year. I was interested in applying to the A100 course at oxford or cambridge, UCL, and ICL and I was wondering whether they would look at my university grades when considering me for admission? I have a lot of extracurricular and work experience too so I feel like I would have a good shot if they looked at university grades. I tried emailing a few of the schools but no one has gotten back to me.Thanks!!
I do have university grades from the past three years (equal to approximately a 3.91/4 on our scale) but I just won't have a bachelor's degree by the time of admission/matriculation. I also have my regular high school grades and diploma of course, with around a 94% average. Sorry for the confusion, I wasn't very clear!
Good to know, thank you!
You guys know medical schools where international students can apply directly to university without UCAS?
Except Buckingham
The university of Brighton does accept directly but I don't think there are many at all. Most need UCAS as that is the main platform for all students to get fair acceptance and its used by everyone.
UCLan have a portal where international students can directly apply and also brunel . Just wondering if there’s more. Thank you
Do international students qualify for contexual offers in UK med schools? The postal code is not for us and the schools mentioned , so no right?
Yeah contexual offers are mainly for home applicants and not internationals

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending