The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I can promise you he doesn’t like you.
Making small talk, joking and laughing with patients isn’t necessarily an indicator that he likes you - its simply a method of building rapport with patients.
You'd really consider hooking up with a priest or dating one? :eek4:
No chance :no:
Original post by Anonymous
I wouldn´t be his patient anymore; and if he´s also interested I don´t see a problem

He'd still get in trouble for it if someone found out.

Personally I think that's ridiculous I don't think there's any imbalance of power or potential for abuse just because someone was once your doctor, but its how it works for them. He could lose his job.
Sounds kinda Stockholm syndrome
It's like situational judgement from the UCAT all over again.

But seriously though, don't do it.
if it was this bad surely no one would EVER date a patient tho?

So, I´m 20 and I´ve got a thing for my doctor. I´m now thinking about telling him I want to go to another doctor; because of course any personal contact would be highly illegal if I were to stay his patient.
The thing is, I think he likes me too.
It all started when I was 18/19 and I instantly felt attracted to him. It´s so weird because I was talking about stress with studying etc. and he told me ´I seemed pretty tense atm, or whether this may be due to another reason?´ And then he gave me a cheeky smile haha. And I said, yes, I think it´s because of another reason.
Maybe I blushed, idk how he could tell.
A few years passed; and I went there again, totally neutral; because well, he´s my doctor. I didn´t have any feelings or something, until the last couple of times I went there.
I don´t know whether it´s my imagination but GEEZ, he stares at me with such an intensity and this damn smile. And he always makes small talk with me, jokes, laughs - and then I crushed on him again. I don´t think I imagined this tbh because like I said, I was totally neutral up until I felt like he remembered this one first conversation about being tense.

I don´t know how to proceed. I can´t tell anyone; I wouldn´t jeopardize his career oc, so I´ll change doctors. He´s single and I want nothing more than to get him into bed ASAP

How would I go about that? Tell him, this is my last appointment there; I like your gorgeous hair? XD I need subtle, safe ideas
And NO I don´t want a relationship, just some hot adventure, he´s around 35, so way too old for relationship anyway

rather than saying 'ur hair is cute' I'd say find a way of bringing up his (potential) wife/girlfriend if the moment is right, this sends a message right away. for example "oh cool, are you going with your wife?"
Reply 28
You're 20, there are thousands of great guys out there you would like and some of them you will like just as much as you like this Doctor and probably more so.

Take advantage of the fact that things are opening up a little and start getting out there.

In a few months' time, you will be with someone really nice and the Doctor will just be a memory.
I have been in a similar situation as a college advisor, and the girl handled it so well, we have been together for almost 5 years and got University approval. Now, I know it isn't the same as a doctor, but a little communication can go a long way.

First, my girl switched advisors. That happens all the time, so I thought nothing of it. After she established a relationship with her new advisor, she waited for me after work one day and walked with me to my car, explaining that she had feelings for me, and that is why she did it. The key here was to not put anything in writing.

We started talking regularly, and we kept everything we did a secret. After a year, we filled out the student/employee relationship paperwork, and since I had no power over her and she did not feel pressured, it was approved.

Now, you are looking for a one nighter. That is easier. Switch docs. Meet him after work, tell him what you want, kiss him, and you are off to the races.
Original post by karl pilkington
maybe just tell you think you have a problem with your vagina or something and say maybe you should examine it?

if it was this bad surely no one would EVER date a patient tho?

rather than saying 'ur hair is cute' I'd say find a way of bringing up his (potential) wife/girlfriend if the moment is right, this sends a message right away. for example "oh cool, are you going with your wife?"

He told me he´s single ^^ Thanks, that´s literally the only response that answers my question. I know he´s single, I get the feeling he´s interested (although random people on the internet who weren´t there obviously know better than me lol); so, just thinking about how to go about it - maybe tell him I found he was a good doctor? Make a joke that if he wasn´t my doctor, I would totally have gone for a drink? idk
He told me he´s single ^^ Thanks, that´s literally the only response that answers my question. I know he´s single, I get the feeling he´s interested (although random people on the internet who weren´t there obviously know better than me lol); so, just thinking about how to go about it - maybe tell him I found he was a good doctor? Make a joke that if he wasn´t my doctor, I would totally have gone for a drink? idk

Plenty of people have answered your question you just didn't like their answers.
Original post by Kovalensky
Plenty of people have answered your question you just didn't like their answers

Can you actually read? In the title, it says that I don´t what judgement but advice on how I can show interest. And so far, only 1 person has answered my question. So, yep, I´m not happy about the responses
Can you actually read? In the title, it says that I don´t what judgement but advice on how I can show interest. And so far, only 1 person has answered my question. So, yep, I´m not happy about the responses

Someone telling you not to get involved with your doctor isn't ''judgement'', they can get into trouble. Don't you respect that?
Original post by Hotcubey
I have been in a similar situation as a college advisor, and the girl handled it so well, we have been together for almost 5 years and got University approval. Now, I know it isn't the same as a doctor, but a little communication can go a long way.

First, my girl switched advisors. That happens all the time, so I thought nothing of it. After she established a relationship with her new advisor, she waited for me after work one day and walked with me to my car, explaining that she had feelings for me, and that is why she did it. The key here was to not put anything in writing.

We started talking regularly, and we kept everything we did a secret. After a year, we filled out the student/employee relationship paperwork, and since I had no power over her and she did not feel pressured, it was approved.

Now, you are looking for a one nighter. That is easier. Switch docs. Meet him after work, tell him what you want, kiss him, and you are off to the races.

Thank you, I´m glad it worked out with you and your girl! When I tell him I want to switch docs, he probably asks me why. I thought about just telling him because I´m attracted to him - and then, if he really is interested, he´ll probably give me his phone number or something? Because I might seem like a stalker if I wait for him in front of his office if I don´t go there anymore haha.
Thank you, I´m glad it worked out with you and your girl! When I tell him I want to switch docs, he probably asks me why. I thought about just telling him because I´m attracted to him - and then, if he really is interested, he´ll probably give me his phone number or something? Because I might seem like a stalker if I wait for him in front of his office if I don´t go there anymore haha.

But I don´t want to be too blunt of course
Like I said, I´ll change doctors ASAP so I won´t be his patient anymore, hence it would be 100 percent legal

Nope. Doctors are advised by the GMC not to date anyone who has ever been their patient. Even if he is attracted to you, he will not date you if he has any sense.
Original post by Kovalensky
Someone telling you not to get involved with your doctor isn't ''judgement'', they can get into trouble. Don't you respect that?

I think you're forgetting that other than being a doctor, he's also an adult male - surely if he managed to get through med school, he's smart enough to decide for himself whether or not he wants to date a patient/ex-patient

even if you know he's single, I'd still bring up a girlfriend/wife in a casual way if the opportunity strikes, just because it sends a message that you're interested :smile: if you want to go for it then you can also say what u mentioned, or if you ever talk about restaurants/pubs etc, you could casually say "too bad you're my doctor cause I'd love for you to show me X (a place)"
Nope. Doctors are advised by the GMC not to date anyone who has ever been their patient. Even if he is attracted to you, he will not date you if he has any sense.

discouraged/advised not to =/= forbidden

"Green light for doctors to date former patients so long as they use their 'professional judgement' to decide if it is appropriate"

"In the United Kingdom, the General Medical Council once discouraged physicians from having romantic relationships with any former patient. That changed in 2013, however, though the council did update its guidelines to include factors a doctor should consider before going down that path".
discouraged/advised not to =/= forbidden

"Green light for doctors to date former patients so long as they use their 'professional judgement' to decide if it is appropriate"

"In the United Kingdom, the General Medical Council once discouraged physicians from having romantic relationships with any former patient. That changed in 2013, however, though the council did update its guidelines to include factors a doctor should consider before going down that path".

he would still be daft to date a former patient

Latest

Trending

Trending