The Student Room Group

AQA English Language Paper 2 - Touching the Void and Climbing the Meije

Can anyone help me improve this answer for Q2?

Both writers are accompanied by another person on their adventure: Simon in Source A, and Marius in Source B. Use details from both sources to write a summary of what you understand about the differences between the two companions, Simon and Marius. (8 marks)

Both companions are experienced in climbing mountains however they both have different personalities and goals.

In source A, Simon was courageous enough to not leave his injured friend alone and assist him in descending the mountain; however, during the journey down, he was so egoistic and reckless that he only cared how fast he could've descended without him getting hurt, as seen in line 3, which also shows that he is panicked as he didn't believe they would get hurt since they are experts.

Furthermore, Simon only cares about himself and is eager to get down the mountain regardless of Joe’s health. He is also uncaring, as he is ignorant regarding Joe's "cries of alarm and pain" and is only concerned about getting out of the mountains as quickly as possible.

Whereas in source B, Marius is totally the contrary. As a travel guide, he must be extremely supportive and kind; He risks his life to protect others, as evidenced by the writer's use of the phrase "always went ahead", implying that he is taking responsibility and ensuring that it is safe for the tourist to explore, even though it involves putting himself in danger.

And also if anyone has some ideas for Q4, can you please share them with me? Thanks
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Ale_A6014
Can anyone help me improve this answer for Q3?

Both writers are accompanied by another person on their adventure: Simon in Source A, and Marius in Source B. Use details from both sources to write a summary of what you understand about the differences between the two companions, Simon and Marius. (8 marks)

Both companions are experienced in climbing mountains however they both have different personalities and goals.

In source A, Simon was courageous enough to not leave his injured friend alone and assist him in descending the mountain; however, during the journey down, he was so egoistic and reckless that he only cared how fast he could've descended without him getting hurt, as seen in line 3, which also shows that he is panicked as he didn't believe they would get hurt since they are experts.

Furthermore, Simon only cares about himself and is eager to get down the mountain regardless of Joe’s health. He is also uncaring, as he is ignorant regarding Joe's "cries of alarm and pain" and is only concerned about getting out of the mountains as quickly as possible.

Whereas in source B, Marius is totally the contrary. As a travel guide, he must be extremely supportive and kind; He risks his life to protect others, as evidenced by the writer's use of the phrase "always went ahead", implying that he is taking responsibility and ensuring that it is safe for the tourist to explore, even though it involves putting himself in danger.

thats question 2 but have you written anything for 3?
Reply 2
Original post by krazykay212

Oh ye Q2 sorry, hmm ye, I can't remember the exact answer but I can give you the ideas and that:

I analysed the 2 metaphors the "flare of agony" and "wave of nausea and pain".

Noun "flare" is used as it compares the sudden pain to something which immediately flares up, and it’s used in an emergency when asking for help, or something like that then the
"wave of nausea and pain” gives the reader a sense of panic and anxiety as it implies that he is submerged in pain, and then I linked it with the last line the “uncontrollably [shaking] eased” giving the readers hope.

Then I wrote about the strong verbs, and how they all create a common theme like fear panic..

But you can also write about the sibilance from the beginning of the extract which conveys the continuous pain of the character, negative image.

My teacher also said that there is onomatopoeia but I didn't find it.

Hope that helps, have you done Q4 for this paper?
Reply 3
Oh ye Q2 sorry, hmm ye, I can't remember the exact answer but I can give you the ideas and that:

Noun "flare" is used as it compares the sudden pain to something which immediately flares up, and it’s used in an emergency when asking for help, or something like that then the
"wave of nausea and pain” gives the reader a sense of panic and anxiety as it implies that he is submerged in pain, and then I linked it with the last line the “uncontrollably [shaking] eased” giving the readers hope.

Then I wrote about the strong verbs, and how they all create a common theme like fear panic..

But you can also write about the sibilance from the beginning of the extract which conveys the continuous pain of the character, negative image.

Hope that helps, have you done Q4 for this paper?

Is it possible for u to write what ur put for q4?
Original post by Gaztheman
Is it possible for u to write what ur put for q4?

Hope that helps, have you done Q4

would it be possible to know what you wrote for question 4? thanks
Reply 5
good answer have my mocks tomorrow and this is supposedly our paper
Reply 6
so was it ur paper?
reply ASAP please cuz it could be mine tmrw xD
if not, do u remember what dources they were????
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by dksnd324
so was it ur paper?
reply ASAP please cuz it could be mine tmrw xD
if not, do u remember what dources they were????

yea yea it was g
thats bad. simon is not selfish. you clearly are for thinking that about him. he is a kind, perceptive, helpful individual who cares about everyone and risked his time on the mountain to help joe. if he wasn't so idiotic he wouldn't have broke his knee in the first place. irrelevant point., 0 marks
Reply 9
Original post by krazykay212

Did you get anything for Question 3 in the end? I need this urgently!
Reply 10
Original post by blahblahblahhhx
would it be possible to know what you wrote for question 4? thanks

Did you get anything for question 4 in the end? I need this urgently!
Original post by hollie96325896
thats bad. simon is not selfish. you clearly are for thinking that about him. he is a kind, perceptive, helpful individual who cares about everyone and risked his time on the mountain to help joe. if he wasn't so idiotic he wouldn't have broke his knee in the first place. irrelevant point., 0 marks

Shuuuushhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quick Reply

Latest