The Student Room Group

feel like I'm running out of options

Last year I started uni doing a course I didn't really want to after taking a gap year, I then dithered throughout the year eventually deciding to switch course, I was very sure I wouldn't repeat the same mistake but I did, I think alongside health issues and being at home as well as laziness it's going to be tough for me to make into next year. At my age now I need to start earning money to support my family but if I don't make into next year I would have to start again and would graduate at 24, I'm not sure if I can do that, without that I don't have many options, I have AAA at A level but it's starting to feel useless.
Hey!
Graduating at 24 or not- you will still be 24 in a couple of years time.
However, at 24, do you want to have accomplished university in a course that you truly enjoy? Or make it to 24 and feel regret that you never chose something you were passionate about! I say go for it!!
I think everybody has especially suffered with the past 12 months and lacked motivation, so don't beat yourself up! We're all only human at the end of the day, I don't think anybody would have known how to fully prepare for such drastic changes to our everyday life.
Maybe opt for a part time distance course so you can focus on both a part time job, and education! It may take 12 months longer, but this way you're not going to feel financially strapped :smile:
Hope you feel better soon! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hey!
Graduating at 24 or not- you will still be 24 in a couple of years time.
However, at 24, do you want to have accomplished university in a course that you truly enjoy? Or make it to 24 and feel regret that you never chose something you were passionate about! I say go for it!!
I think everybody has especially suffered with the past 12 months and lacked motivation, so don't beat yourself up! We're all only human at the end of the day, I don't think anybody would have known how to fully prepare for such drastic changes to our everyday life.
Maybe opt for a part time distance course so you can focus on both a part time job, and education! It may take 12 months longer, but this way you're not going to feel financially strapped :smile:
Hope you feel better soon! :smile:

I just can't seem to see past getting my degree after so long, but I made this same mistake last year which made me dither and shell up.
Reply 3
I just can't seem to see past getting my degree after so long, but I made this same mistake last year which made me dither and shell up.

I still brood over past decisions even though I know it isn't doing me any good, I know I need to get back on track but I can't seem to do it, I had all the determination and motivation a few years ago, I used to have a drive and strong ambitions for the future but now everything feels pointless. Since starting university I have fallen further and further behind. I wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience.
I still brood over past decisions even though I know it isn't doing me any good, I know I need to get back on track but I can't seem to do it, I had all the determination and motivation a few years ago, I used to have a drive and strong ambitions for the future but now everything feels pointless. Since starting university I have fallen further and further behind. I wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience.

I know this is a sensitive topic, but are there any mental health issues that you have developed that you may require tackling first? I developed depression after graduating which significantly hindered me from deciding to study my masters degree. Once I understood my other emotions, I knew my Masters degree was what I wanted to accomplish.
Reply 5
I know this is a sensitive topic, but are there any mental health issues that you have developed that you may require tackling first? I developed depression after graduating which significantly hindered me from deciding to study my masters degree. Once I understood my other emotions, I knew my Masters degree was what I wanted to accomplish.

How did you get past it? What do you think was holding you back? I ask because I'm trying to draw parallels and find a new way of thinking
I'm having troubles with uni as well and I really don't like it. but I'm pushing through I guess. just do a bit of work everyday, make it a routine and it will feel better.
but maybe uni isn't for you... try look for diff options like an apprenticeship or something
Reply 7
I'm having troubles with uni as well and I really don't like it. but I'm pushing through I guess. just do a bit of work everyday, make it a routine and it will feel better.
but maybe uni isn't for you... try look for diff options like an apprenticeship or something

I come from a conservative family so the idea of having a degree is very important, are you unhappy with your course/uni?
you put a lot of your self worth into uni which is also not good. Having a passion for something isn't inherently bad, but when you are like this about it and explaining how it's affecting your self worth, etc. then it's a problem. At the end of the day, uni or education isn't everything and it doesn't determine who you are
Reply 9
Last year I started uni doing a course I didn't really want to after taking a gap year, I then dithered throughout the year eventually deciding to switch course, I was very sure I wouldn't repeat the same mistake but I did, I think alongside health issues and being at home as well as laziness it's going to be tough for me to make into next year. At my age now I need to start earning money to support my family but if I don't make into next year I would have to start again and would graduate at 24, I'm not sure if I can do that, without that I don't have many options, I have AAA at A level but it's starting to feel useless.

You are not lazy. You are just unmotivated. Why are you continuing to do a university course that provides no joy or sense of achievement? Sack it in and get a job. You have the rest of your life to go to university. Don't waste your youth doing something you don't want to do.

Good luck!
Original post by hotpud
You are not lazy. You are just unmotivated. Why are you continuing to do a university course that provides no joy or sense of achievement? Sack it in and get a job. You have the rest of your life to go to university. Don't waste your youth doing something you don't want to do.

Good luck!

I know I want degree, I a potential way out for me seems to be finding a source of income whilst I study. I don't particularly enjoy anything I have a passion for a certain subject but there's no particular jobs within that field and I study it as leisure
??
Reply 12
I know I want degree, I a potential way out for me seems to be finding a source of income whilst I study. I don't particularly enjoy anything I have a passion for a certain subject but there's no particular jobs within that field and I study it as leisure

Ok. So rather than focus on a subject you enjoy, why not focus on the things that you are good at? Are you interested in working in a team or on your own? Inside or outside? Do you want a job that has variety and every day is different or do you want a job that is predictable? Do you want to work with people, animals or no one? If you use that as a guide, it might help.

There is a brilliant website called https://www.startprofile.com. Sign up and answer the questions. It will give you suggestions which in turn will offer advice on how to train and get those roles.

Good luck!
Original post by hotpud
Ok. So rather than focus on a subject you enjoy, why not focus on the things that you are good at? Are you interested in working in a team or on your own? Inside or outside? Do you want a job that has variety and every day is different or do you want a job that is predictable? Do you want to work with people, animals or no one? If you use that as a guide, it might help.

There is a brilliant website called https://www.startprofile.com. Sign up and answer the questions. It will give you suggestions which in turn will offer advice on how to train and get those roles.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot, I appreciate this, I've realised the only option is to keep moving, there's no point in this constant stalling as difficult as it is, there's no other option. I'll just get on with my degree and see where it takes me.
Reply 14
Thanks a lot, I appreciate this, I've realised the only option is to keep moving, there's no point in this constant stalling as difficult as it is, there's no other option. I'll just get on with my degree and see where it takes me.

Great attitude. At present you have choices. They may not be the ones you want, but they are all you have. Life stops when you stop making decisions. So too right. Make some decisions and see what happens. The worst case scenario is you end up with more choices that are not so appealing. The key to a successful life is to engineer your decisions so that they present a new set of choices that are favourable to what you want to do.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending