The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial College London Accommodation

So I'm entering uni in Oct 2021 and I was thinking of applying to Woodward, Kemp porter, Xenia, Wilson House and I haven't decided what my fifth choice would be. The south kensington halls are a bit too pricey for me. I should like to hear some feedback and advice however. Literally anything would help
Original post by kav.28
So I'm entering uni in Oct 2021 and I was thinking of applying to Woodward, Kemp porter, Xenia, Wilson House and I haven't decided what my fifth choice would be. The south kensington halls are a bit too pricey for me. I should like to hear some feedback and advice however. Literally anything would help

Which course? Have you firmed Imperial?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by AnonymousAAJ
Which course? Have you firmed Imperial?

chemistry, and yes i’ve firmed imperial
Original post by Anonymous
chemistry, and yes i’ve firmed imperial

Great Congratulations. Are you from India?
Hey there!

I'm Nitish and I'm a Medical Student at Imperial

So I was from Xenia halls, and I had a really good time and made some long term friends! Everyone I know tends to advocate for their own hall being the best, so I think the main take away point is that you tend to enjoy all the halls regardless of which one you end up in.

I'd be mindful of what you want in terms of accommodation; if location is more important to you, I'd aim for accommodation which is closer to central London where events tend to happen (in your case that would be Xenia and Wilson house, Xenia in particular is in Waterloo which is in the centre of London). This does come at the expense of room size and cost however. If you'd prefer a nicer room for less cost, Woodward and Kemp Porter would be more to your liking.

I'd say it's all a balance of location vs the actual room. However once again this isn't a make or break, wherever you go you'll have a good time!

Hope that helps!
Original post by Imperial students
Hey there!

I'm Nitish and I'm a Medical Student at Imperial

So I was from Xenia halls, and I had a really good time and made some long term friends! Everyone I know tends to advocate for their own hall being the best, so I think the main take away point is that you tend to enjoy all the halls regardless of which one you end up in.

I'd be mindful of what you want in terms of accommodation; if location is more important to you, I'd aim for accommodation which is closer to central London where events tend to happen (in your case that would be Xenia and Wilson house, Xenia in particular is in Waterloo which is in the centre of London). This does come at the expense of room size and cost however. If you'd prefer a nicer room for less cost, Woodward and Kemp Porter would be more to your liking.

I'd say it's all a balance of location vs the actual room. However once again this isn't a make or break, wherever you go you'll have a good time!

Hope that helps!

Hi Nitish,
Do you know if it's ok to cycle from Xenia to South Kensington?
Original post by lunderground
Hi Nitish,
Do you know if it's ok to cycle from Xenia to South Kensington?

Hi There,

This is Ben and I'm a 4th year Medical Student and also an official rep. Xenia is located in the heart of central London near Waterloo and is approximately a 30 minute cycle from the South Kensington campus. The cycle is along the river Thames initially so is quite picturesque. There is also a lot of Santander cycles along the route in case you don't have your own bike!

Hope this helps,

Ben
Original post by Imperial students
Hi There,

This is Ben and I'm a 4th year Medical Student and also an official rep. Xenia is located in the heart of central London near Waterloo and is approximately a 30 minute cycle from the South Kensington campus. The cycle is along the river Thames initially so is quite picturesque. There is also a lot of Santander cycles along the route in case you don't have your own bike!

Hope this helps,

Ben

That's great, thank you
Reply 8
I think you can put two choices from one hall right?

Woodward was quite nice, initially I was pretty disappointed about getting it because of the distance to campus, but you get used to it. If you commute by taking the Central line from North Acton to Queensway then you get to walk across Hyde Park which is a bonus. However it is somewhat annoying when there are events on campus in the evening.
There's good kitchen space and frequent hall events. Also because of the size it's pretty likely you'll find a bunch of people on your course there, which helps a lot with making friends.

Everything I said about Woodward probably also applies to Kemp Porter.
Hi I have imperial as my firm choice and they just sent me the email for AccHub.

Just wondering which halls people are thinking of choosing? Personally I am leaning towards Wilson, Pembridge, Beit and Xenia but I'm not sure what I should pick for the last space. Southside and Eastside are wayyyy too expensive, Woodward and Kemp porter are so far away so those 4 aren't really an option. There's Parsons House but the reviews aren't amazing so I'm slightly skeptical about that one.
Reply 10
Hi I have imperial as my firm choice and they just sent me the email for AccHub.

Just wondering which halls people are thinking of choosing? Personally I am leaning towards Wilson, Pembridge, Beit and Xenia but I'm not sure what I should pick for the last space. Southside and Eastside are wayyyy too expensive, Woodward and Kemp porter are so far away so those 4 aren't really an option. There's Parsons House but the reviews aren't amazing so I'm slightly skeptical about that one.

They're still doing Parsons House? They were going to get rid of it for 2020 until coronavirus and A-level results hit and they needed the extra space.

Don't rule out the North Acton halls. They're not much further in practice than Xenia, and they're better halls than any of the others you want to apply for.
Original post by Sinnoh
They're still doing Parsons House? They were going to get rid of it for 2020 until coronavirus and A-level results hit and they needed the extra space.

Don't rule out the North Acton halls. They're not much further in practice than Xenia, and they're better halls than any of the others you want to apply for.

On the AccHub it says Xenia is 3 miles away and the North Acton halls are 6 miles away though? But yeah I agree Xenia is further than the rest as well.

Anyway I’m just curious which halls are recommended for first years and which halls are the 2021 applicants choosing? Plus with the whole COVID situation with both in campus and online lessons, I figured it would be better to live closer to reduce travel and basically be in contact less with people.
Reply 12
On the AccHub it says Xenia is 3 miles away and the North Acton halls are 6 miles away though? But yeah I agree Xenia is further than the rest as well.

Anyway I’m just curious which halls are recommended for first years and which halls are the 2021 applicants choosing? Plus with the whole COVID situation with both in campus and online lessons, I figured it would be better to live closer to reduce travel and basically be in contact less with people.

it's only about 10 mins difference in travel time.
Reply 13
Hello, I have an offer for imperial unconditional but still haven’t received my imperial login or email for accommodation, should I be concerned???
WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT APPLY TO Pembridge hall it is a terrible hall!!!!!! this is from my personal experience. Go to any other hall if u want to be happy!!!!
Original post by R200203
Hello, I have an offer for imperial unconditional but still haven’t received my imperial login or email for accommodation, should I be concerned???

Hi!

According to the accommodation website, the accommodation applications should have been sent by late May. If you still haven't received it, you can drop them an email at [email protected].

Hope this helps!
Anudi

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending