The Student Room Group

The Manchester United Thread XXIII

Scroll to see replies

If it had been a more important shootout, then I'd wonder if the keeper should've been subbed. But for just the Europa League it's fair to give De Gea his chance. Bizarre that Bruno chose Utd to take penalties 2nd.

Was kinda rooting for Villareal in the end. They win a trophy and can play in the CL, it meant something to them. Would have no effect on us (and obvious had none last time we won).
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 41
"Supa-sub" Ole made no subs, the team lacked energy in extra time

go figure
Rashford should of scored that chance in 2nd half
Reply 43
OGS's records in SF/Finals tells you everything about the limit of his abilities imo. It's not even like he's at an underdog club with lesser resources.
Bruno chose to go 2nd in the shootout? why would he do that? surely it's a disadvantage in every way to chase?

Ole has a big season next season doesn't he? You see progress this season but now at the cost of no trophy isn't great. Tactically was poor last night, not sure why he didn't make any subs before 100 mins. Rashford should have been subbed etc
Reply 45
Ole clearly has no confidence in his subs, no squad depth
Original post by Gob Bluth
Bruno chose to go 2nd in the shootout? why would he do that? surely it's a disadvantage in every way to chase?

Even the ref thought Bruno meant Utd go first. "YOU go first?"

My only explanation is that it was agreed with or ordered by Olé beforehand, since it's not a major trophy, as a way of gaining experience under heavier pressure. If it's the difference in a season or two between winning a Champions League shootout or not, then it pays off, since fans and board won't remember this trophy by next season (same as 2017 and whatever FA / League Cup finals we've had recently). Hey we know now the likes of James and Lindelof can handle it.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 47
Strengthen defence or we will lose to the big boys in Europe and at home.
Strengthen midfield or the likes of Bruno and Cavani will get fed up of lack of service and leave, so will many fans.

Unless we can draw on youth team players, this summer transfer window is actually pivotal.
Original post by ozzyoscy
Even the ref thought Bruno meant Utd go first. "YOU go first?"

My only explanation is that it was agreed with or ordered by Olé beforehand, since it's not a major trophy, as a way of gaining experience under heavier pressure. If it's the difference in a season or two between winning a Champions League shootout or not, then it pays off, since fans and board won't remember this trophy by next season (same as 2017 and whatever FA / League Cup finals we've had recently). Hey we know now the likes of James and Lindelof can handle it.

I mean, that's mad imo. I can't see that being the reason, when you're so close from a trophy surely! Yeah it's not major but still these are still fine margins.

Cavani looks a good buy for now though, he's a cut above Martial for sure. And on a short term contract is a great deal. Will Martial make it at United? Make or break for him in the next couple of years you'd think. Harland would surely be a good buy for the future.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 49
Original post by Gob Bluth
I mean, that's mad imo. I can't see that being the reason, when you're so close from a trophy surely! Yeah it's not major but still these are still fine margins.

If Olé lifted that trophy last night then were 12 points behind the league leaders and not got out the CL group by December, he'd probably be sacked. Certainly the media would be trying to make it happen.

If they lose this final but then are top of the table again by December having walked the CL so far, he'd be as secure as ever and the media would be saying how great it is they stuck with him.

I can see it. Imagine Utd are in a shootout against Real in the CL QFs, the defence is De Gea, Lindelof, Maguire and Bailly... instead of keeping De Gea on and having Maguire take earlier, now he knows to bring on Henderson and that Lindelof is a better choice.

EDIT: Olé's confirmed the choice was made by Bruno anyway.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 51
Original post by Zerforax
OGS's records in SF/Finals tells you everything about the limit of his abilities imo. It's not even like he's at an underdog club with lesser resources.

Klopp has won 2 finals out of 8
Reply 52

DDGs face drains and nose goes red, shouldn't have come to this, it was ours for the taking.
image_2021-05-27_101642.png
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 53
Original post by difeo
Klopp has won 2 finals out of 8

Are you trying to say that Klopp has underachieved with the clubs he's managed?
Reply 54
Are you trying to say that Klopp has underachieved with the clubs he's managed?

I'm saying a poor finals record clearly doesn't make you a poor manager
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 55
Original post by difeo

Finals are like students final exams, they don't prove a student was good or bad, but they do say a lot
Reply 56
Original post by difeo

The difference is that OGS is at one the biggest/wealthiest clubs in the world and he's had a poor record.

Klopp at Dortmund was often up against the Bayern Munich machine so always underdogs. At Liverpool, the loss to Seville in EL final was a bit poor but no real shame in losing to Man City (League Cup) or Real Madrid (Champions league final). However Klopp won the CL final against Spurs and then followed it up with a Premier League title where the team dominated the league and finished on 97 points.

I think everyone can easily point at the fact that Klopp is the glue which is currently making Liverpool overachieve (relative to budget/money spent etc).

OGS can point to finishing 3rd and 2nd in the league but the reality is Man Utd were nowhere near being title competitors so far. He doesn't have any cup success to point to. Man Utd still spend heavily in the transfer market AND have one of the biggest wage bills in the world.

Anyway, I'm happy if Man Utd stick to an average manager like OGS for longer. Just means we don't have to take you seriously.
Reply 57
The difference is that OGS is at one the biggest/wealthiest clubs in the world and he's had a poor record.

Klopp at Dortmund was often up against the Bayern Munich machine so always underdogs. At Liverpool, the loss to Seville in EL final was a bit poor but no real shame in losing to Man City (League Cup) or Real Madrid (Champions league final). However Klopp won the CL final against Spurs and then followed it up with a Premier League title where the team dominated the league and finished on 97 points.

I think everyone can easily point at the fact that Klopp is the glue which is currently making Liverpool overachieve (relative to budget/money spent etc).

OGS can point to finishing 3rd and 2nd in the league but the reality is Man Utd were nowhere near being title competitors so far. He doesn't have any cup success to point to. Man Utd still spend heavily in the transfer market AND have one of the biggest wage bills in the world.

Anyway, I'm happy if Man Utd stick to an average manager like OGS for longer. Just means we don't have to take you seriously.

where did you come in the league this season and did you get to any cup finals?
Reply 58
Original post by bj27
where did you come in the league this season and did you get to any cup finals?

5 points behind Man Utd and 2 points behind Chelsea despite:

- having the worst injury crises
- way less money than Chelsea/Man Utd throw around
5 points behind Man Utd and 2 points behind Chelsea despite:

- having the worst injury crises
- way less money than Chelsea/Man Utd throw around

Think you mean ahead.

Quick Reply

Latest