The Student Room Group

Does GCSE Add Math (Further Math) required for A-Level Further Math ?

Hi, I wanted to know if it is recommended to only take AS Further Maths only if someone has taken further maths at GCSE which is also known as Additional Math. Is taking further maths with a grade scale of 8 or 9 of GCSE math enough. I am focusing if the student can perform well with grade 8 or 9 or additional maths at GCSE is the only right way to perform well at further maths AS-Level

Scroll to see replies

Original post by saad_i_11
Hi, I wanted to know if it is recommended to only take AS Further Maths only if someone has taken further maths at GCSE which is also known as Additional Math. Is taking further maths with a grade scale of 8 or 9 of GCSE math enough. I am focusing if the student can perform well with grade 8 or 9 or additional maths at GCSE is the only right way to perform well at further maths AS-Level

My school didn’t offer the GCSE add maths but our class did fine at the full A-level further maths course - doing well at the add maths GCSE will put you in good stead for the AS further maths, but it’s in no way necessary (unless simulated by your sixth form/college requirements)

Add Maths/Further Maths is a waste of time - you are better studying the whole GCSE Maths syllabus [some schools miss bits out] thoroughly and getting a grade 9.
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
Add Maths/Further Maths is a waste of time - you are better studying the whole GCSE Maths syllabus [some schools miss bits out] thoroughly and getting a grade 9.

Like further maths is a waste of time at A levels too??
Reply 4
Original post by laurawatt
My school didn’t offer the GCSE add maths but our class did fine at the full A-level further maths course - doing well at the add maths GCSE will put you in good stead for the AS further maths, but it’s in no way necessary (unless simulated by your sixth form/college requirements)

Thanks for clarification

I did the OCR Add Maths FSMQ at GCSE and found it incredibly useful at A level, as it already covered most of the AS content and some A2.

As it had quite a bit of overlap with normal maths (e.g. differentiation, trig, algebra etc...), it was useful revision and also helped my normal maths GCSE.

You can do Further Maths without Add Maths - I personally did Add Maths; however, it isn't necessary.

If you're worried, you can always get the AS book before you start and start working through it.
Reply 6
Original post by cactus11235813
I did the OCR Add Maths FSMQ at GCSE and found it incredibly useful at A level, as it already covered most of the AS content and some A2.

As it had quite a bit of overlap with normal maths (e.g. differentiation, trig, algebra etc...), it was useful revision and also helped my normal maths GCSE.

You can do Further Maths without Add Maths - I personally did Add Maths; however, it isn't necessary.

If you're worried, you can always get the AS book before you start and start working through it.

Thanks
Like further maths is a waste of time at A levels too??

No, not at A level but the GCSE is as it includes stuff that isn't relevant for A level. As a teacher I prefer to enrich the GCSE syllabus and we find we get better A level results than rushing through ...
Original post by cactus11235813

There's a lot that's irrelevant though - its far better to enrich the GCSE Maths course - calculus is far better taught at A level not superficially at GCSE.
Reply 9
No, not at A level but the GCSE is as it includes stuff that isn't relevant for A level. As a teacher I prefer to enrich the GCSE syllabus and we find we get better A level results than rushing through ...

So I am assuming that basically, the context of add maths at GCSE is not quite relevant to further maths A-Levels. Right?
So I am assuming that basically, the context of add maths at GCSE is not quite relevant to further maths A-Levels. Right?

It's not linked to FMaths A level at all now FM is linear.
(edited 2 years ago)

I agree that it's best to prioritise the grade 9 at GCSE but if that's assured then the additional maths course is, in my opinion, whilst not necessary, well worthwhile.
..it includes stuff that isn't relevant for A level..

The only thing I can think you might be referring to here is linear programming. Everything else is relevant. I'm thinking of the OCR course, by the way.
Original post by Plücker
I agree that it's best to prioritise the grade 9 at GCSE but if that's assured then the additional maths course is, in my opinion, whilst not necessary, well worthwhile.

The only thing I can think you might be referring to here is linear programming. Everything else is relevant. I'm thinking of the OCR course, by the way.

OCR A level or level 2?
Reply 13
For someone who is very likely to get a grade 9 in maths GCSE, I think that a GCSE level further maths qualification is generally a good way to prepare for A Level. If a student is unsure about getting a 9 then I would never recommend further maths since GCSE maths is much more important. I have seen so many cases of grade 6/7 students taking further maths and spending a whole year learning the course when they could have focussed on maths and maybe achieved an 8 or 9. It is so frustrating that schools do this.

For those who are probably going to get a 9, the AQA qualification has a lot of nice GCSE extension problems and is a good way for students to practice harder algebra before moving on to A Level. It contains a few topics that are not useful but learning any new maths is good for developing general mathematical skills.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by muttley79
ocr a level or level 2?

ocr fsmq 6993
Reply 15

There is a lot of GCSE maths that isn't relevant for A Level so I don't feel this is a reason to not do Level 2 FM. Most of AQA FM is GCSE extension questions so I think it is a good way to enrich GCSE maths. But it should only be taken by those predicted to get a 9 as I mentioned above.
I did further maths gcse and it was exactly the same as AS maths ( not further maths) so in that way it’ll help I did ccea board
Original post by Notnek
There is a lot of GCSE maths that isn't relevant for A Level so I don't feel this is a reason to not do Level 2 FM. Most of AQA FM is GCSE extension questions so I think it is a good way to enrich GCSE maths. But it should only be taken by those predicted to get a 9 as I mentioned above.

Sorry - we have done extensive research on this and it is NOT worth risking non 9s in other GCSEs not just Maths.

There are far more interesting things to look at than GCSE work ...
Original post by Aethomson
I did further maths gcse and it was exactly the same as AS maths ( not further maths) so in that way it’ll help I did ccea board

It is NOT exactly the same ... where are th3e matrices in CCEA AS? Linear programing?? Lots of mechanics and stats are NOT in level 2 FM.
It is NOT exactly the same ... where are th3e matrices in CCEA AS? Linear programing?? Lots of mechanics and stats are NOT in level 2 FM.

Normal maths not further. There’s like two bits different but the rest is essentially the same. It’s just more problem solving. Also im pretty sure we didn't do linear programming at GCSE further unless we called it something else.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest