The Student Room Group

Year 10 PPE Exams - REVISION HELP NEEDED IM SO STRESSED 😩

As the title says:
I got PPE’s in 2-3 weeks, and i need to revise during this half term.
Im doing it for the following subjects:
Math
English
Science
Geography
French
Enterprise
Media

I am so lost in terms of revision and i always fail my tests :frown:

Can someone leave me some helpful links on some of the topics above as if i dont start revising now i’ll fail for sure.

( I particularly struggle with english math and science so it would be helpful if someone guided me and left some tips) and also slightly worried about media

For english, what things can i involve in my creative writing?
Thanks!!
Maths - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCStPzCGyt5tlwdpDXffobxA
he has playlists on all topics ranging from grade 4 to 9 so if u watch most of his videos along with practicing past papers and seeing which topics ur struggling on, u will be able to get grade 7 plus

science - https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/

This website has concise notes which coincides with the specification ur using so if u are revising particular topics make sure to use cue cards with the question on the front and the information of the back; it is a form of active recall which can help store large amounts of information in ur long term memory. also after revising the topic make sure to do exam questions on this site: https://examqa.com/gcse/science/
Original post by krystaloceanx
As the title says:
Math
English
Science
Geography
French
Enterprise
Media

Can someone leave me some helpful links on some of the topics above as if i dont start revising now i’ll fail for sure.

( I particularly struggle with english math and science so it would be helpful if someone guided me and left some tips) and also slightly worried about media

Thanks!!

Mathematics

For maths I did the AQA Specification. Lots of people revise for Maths in very different ways, and that is perfectly fine as long as you are understanding the concepts. Most people like to do Exam Questions and then practice, practice and practice, whereas others like to make notes. I personally, found that doing Exam Questions was the best way to revise as I could answer questions, and then check solutions and mark schemes to see where I went wrong and what alternative methods could be used. Most questions in Maths are recycled from past papers, and just have different numbers. But these questions are also recycled from the 2000-2014 papers, so I would recommend practicing these as well as the new 9-1 Papers. But, don’t just rely on Past papers from your exam board, my school used AQA but I practised Edexcel and OCR papers too, this is good practice because you can go through a wider range of questions. Here are some more detailed resources and websites:

https://www.mathsgenie.co.uk You can use this to access a wide range of Exam papers, and then after you’ve completed the paper you can watch walkthroughs so you can see how to do all the questions. They also have Exam Questions for each topic, I thought this was really helpful because after you’ve covered a topic in class you can do the topic exam questions to see if you understand the topic and this will show you what you need to focus on. The topics are also split by grades, so if you’re aiming for a 9 do all the questions.

https://corbettmaths.com AMAZING! They make their own Exam papers so you can practice these too. They have a wide range of Worksheets, videos and Topic exam questions which will help you get a better insight into your understanding of different units. I would really recommend doing the 5-a-day. They have one sheet of questions for each day and these sheets have a range of different questions so you can keep testing your skills on different questions. The sheets are split by level, if you’re definitely doing Foundation for the real exams stick to the Foundation sheets, if you’re currently doing foundation but want to do higher, try the Foundation plus sheets, if you’re doing Higher and aiming for a 6/7 do the Higher sheets, and if you’re aiming for an 8/9 do the Higher plus sheets.

https://www.piximaths.co.uk/revision-booklets - These booklets are split by grades, so you can practice Exam questions suited to the level you’re aiming for.

https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/math...300/assessment resources?f.Resource+type%7C6=Question+papers - AQA Maths Exam Questions and revision.

https://revisionmaths.com/gcse-maths...hs-past-papers - Edexcel Maths Exam Questions and revision.

https://revisionmaths.com/gcse-maths...hs-past-papers - OCR Maths Exam Questions and revision.

Science Chemistry Triple and Combined

Something that really helped me to revise and understand the topics in Science was staying engaged in lessons. I only really started making a proper effort to do this in year 11. I know it can be daunting, but putting your hand up and answering questions, even if you get it wrong, will help you in the future when it comes to exam time. Small questions asked regularly can make all the difference for comparatively little effort put in (it’s just raising your hand)!

Taking clear notes is also very important because these will be what you come back to in your revision. Also, if you miss a lesson for whatever reason, be sure to copy down notes from your friends. If you don’t understand what you missed see your teacher! Admitting you don’t understand something can be hard for some people and asking your teacher (especially outside of normal class hours) can be even harder but it is very important. Never be afraid to ask for extra help in lessons or see your teacher afterwards, especially if you have missed a lesson or two. I missed many lessons due to illness so I got into the habit of asking when I didn’t understand something I’d missed - it saved me a load of time in the long run! For example, within the Chemistry I found polymers particularly challenging so during those classes I made a mental note to myself to pay extra attention.

Don’t make notes too fancy! Just simple, clear and easy to digest. As long as you make it your aim to take note of everything in the syllabus in a way that will make the information easy to understand when you start revising then you’ll be in a great position to do well in the exam. I found making flash cards from CGP revision guides the most effective way of retaining information so I slowly made my way through the guides, making a flash card for each point that I wasn’t confident I already knew, skipping obvious pages to save time.

I used colours for some notes but was also conscious of not wasting time trying to make my notes ‘look good’. In the end I wrote them in black ink then when I had finished re read them, highlighted key words in orange then without the notes in front of me, tried to remember some of the topic I just wrote notes on. I also sometimes drew pictures which helped a bit with boredom and also helped me remember. I also used Seneca, a revision app/website, which was quite useful and a lot more enjoyable than the conventional “getting your head down”. The points system gamified the experience for me and made it feel less like boring old revision.

On YouTube I watched freesciencelessons.com for topics I struggled on and Science With Hazel has very helpful videos to write notes on, covering the whole of paper 1 or 2 in just a couple of hours. I finished my flash cards for chemistry around 2 weeks before the Mocks began but I definitely hadn’t memorised all of them at that point. I went over them whenever I could, whether it was in the car, on the train or before I went to bed and continued my other revision methods as well. Eventually I felt I knew enough to do past papers so I did 3 for paper 1 (they were given to us by school) in the last week before the exams started and got 96/100 in one of them. Wherever I got a question wrong (when it wasn’t a silly mistake) I would watch a video on it on YouTube, normally freesciencelessons.com or Science with Hazel, then write notes on it again. I did the same with flash cards I struggled to remember or a particular topic I had difficulty with.

I also wrote small bits of information I couldn’t remember very well, for example, flame test colours, on post-it notes then stuck them all over my house. This helped because I saw them whenever I brushed my teeth or opened the fridge, during the exam I could then picture the place in my head and then recall what was written on the post-it note. This is a bit like the memory palace technique which memory experts often use to remember huge amounts of detailed information. Anyway, my version of this technique did the job for GCSE! It also helped that I would see the note multiple times a day whenever I walked past it. As always, little and often is the most efficient method. I found writing mnemonics on these post-it notes particularly useful.

Example: Little-Cats Sometimes-Yell Pretty-Loudly Cause-Of Cold-Gardens. I used this to remember the flame tests for cations.

Another technique I used quite often as a little bit of a break from writing was FaceTiming my friends and just testing each other from the revision guide questions. Try to find someone of similar motivation and ability to challenge each other, you could also keep it light hearted and jokey so it didn’t really feel like normal revision! The night before the exam, I separated my flash cards into 2 piles: Pile 1 - Flashcards I knew and Pile 2 - Flashcards I didn’t totally know or was a bit slow/hesitant when I tested myself. I then wrote the ones I didn’t remember repeatedly and found this worked for a short term memory method. Just before the exam I read through the notes from the night before and this helped calm me down just before going into the exam hall. I didn’t have a fancy technique for the Mock, I just went through it one question at a time and focussed only on the question at hand. The Mock went pretty well, apart from a few silly mistakes I made (remember to read the questions properly). For paper 2 I used the same methods

Science Biology Triple and Combined

Personally, I found GCSE Biology a struggle however with focused revision I managed to increase my predicted grade to a 9. I found human biology the most difficult in particular DNA as it was a complex topic which required a lot of thought. The topics I found easier were plant biology and the brain because if you learnt the key facts you could usually score full marks in these questions. Another reason I found Biology difficult was for the simple fact that it was a double lesson and I really struggled to remain focused for this length of time!

One of my top tips for revision is to learn how you learn! I am a linguistic learner meaning I learn through writing things down but everyone has their own learning style so I strongly encourage you to find yours. Finding a healthy work life balance is also important, I wanted to get good grades but I couldn't afford to sacrifice my mental or physical health just to achieve that.
I used a host of revision techniques such as flash cards, making notes, watching videos and getting others to quiz me on topics. While it may seem like a lot of work to make flashcards they are effective if used correctly (remember to test yourself), so the time spent will be worth it in the long run. The way I made my flashcards was by looking at the question box in the corner of the page in my textbook and writing these onto flash cards and putting the answers on the back. If your textbooks don't include this feature you could use the Quizlet website provides a lot of flashcards and could give you ideas of what to write on yours or you could use the online flashcards on their website to save you some work.

The first thing to consider before you start revising is what you’ll need to know for the exam. Knowing what topics you’ll be asked questions on can help you condense your revision into the essential areas. The GCSE biology exam is broken down into eight key topics:

Cell biology
Organisation
Infection and response
Bioenergetics
Homeostasis and response
Inheritance, variation and evolution
Ecology
Key ideas

Once you’ve condensed your study notes down into the eight topics above, you can start planning what to study and when. The easiest way to organise your biology revision is to use a revision timetable. All you really need is a spreadsheet, a diary, or a wall planner where you can mark out the weeks until your exam. Once you know how many weeks you have, decide which days you’ll dedicate to biology revision. Mark them out on your schedule and specify what topics you’ll study on particular days. As your revision gets underway, mark off each complete day on your schedule so you can see how you’re progressing. Seeing those days being marked off on your calendar can provide you with the motivation to keep going. Remember to include practice test papers alongside your topic revision.

Science Physics Triple and Combined

GCSE Physics has a lot of formulas so it’s important to know them, understand them, know how to use them and whether a formula sheet will be given to you in the exam. Check with your teacher if you are not sure or visit the exam board website for more information. It’s best to have a look at the formula sheet before the exam, so you will know which equations are provided, and which you will need to commit to memory.

Make sure to show all your working out, too. Writing an answer without showing the calculation will not gain you full marks, regardless of how correct you are. And finally, don’t forget to bring a calculator to the examination with you!
You might need to download a specification guide if you haven’t got one. These are vital to knowing what you will be examined on and all the topics that need to be covered. Ask your teacher for one or visit the exam board website for a copy. Secondly, mix up your revision style. Rewrite notes in colour, bullet points, mind maps, whatever works best for you. Try something new so you don’t get bored easily, such as a Quizlet study set on physics forces. These will help you learn key terms. Then set a plan in place to ensure that you cover all topics before the exam date. Use the specification to help you work out how much you need to revise and in what time frame. Don’t pack too much into one study session or you will end up too tired to learn. Sessions should be short but allow you to cover a section within the specification each night.

Knowing how to complete the investigation and experiments, step by step will help you gain marks in the exam, so make sure to revise that element and don’t skim over it when looking through your notes. Here are some flashcards to help you with required practicals. Also, don’t forget to study all about the components of the investigation. Know the difference between the independent and dependent variable, the hypotheses and the aim, fair testing and the control variables. Use these flashcards on practical skills to help refresh your memory if you are stuck. Finally, make sure to leave plenty of time for revision. Work through all your notes, revision guides and textbooks, following the specification.

Science CGP BOOKS

These are the books I bought, but if you see my notes (Dropbox link below) they include all of the information. These books are for Edexcel Triple but if you scroll down you can find some for AQA and combined science.

Biology - https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Grade-G...c=1&th=1&psc=1

Chemistry - https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Grade-G...JY95YE59225SQH

Physics - https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Grade-G...C2BKB2W26F3XAM

https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com I would definitely recommend checking this out. They have notes and Exam questions for every topic. The notes and flashcards are short and concise, so they are really effective.

Command words are specific directions that indicate the type of answer you should give. Although it might seem obvious, understanding what’s being asked of you is essential to focusing your answer and attaining all available marks. In GCSE science, some of the most common command words include:

Describe Requires you to give an account of what is happening. For example, a ‘describe’ question could require you to outline a process, or write a sequence of events.
State This command word requires you to write a statement, i.e. factual information. Typically, these types of questions require you to write a single word or sentence and rely on your retained knowledge.
Explain An ‘explain’ command word requires you to provide details of why something happens. These are typically multi-step questions that require you to present your answer logically.
Compare and contrast These command words require you to explore what’s similar and what’s different between two processes, ideas etc. These questions can be tricky and people often lose marks for failing to complete both parts.

One of the most effective ways to maintain your motivation for revising is to use several different approaches. The more variety you have in your revision, the more you’ll enjoy the process and the more information you’ll retain for the exam. Here are our top revision techniques:

Beat the Clock Using biology practice tests, give yourself a time limit for specific questions. Set a timer and aim to answer the question as quickly as you can, while aiming for maximum points. This technique is particularly good for improving time management skills and getting used to answering questions under pressure.
Mind Mapping If you’re a visual learner, you might find mind mapping a useful way to remember important formulas, facts and equations. Start with a central topic and write out all the important information that you need to know. Try doing it from memory first, and then consult your notes to fill in any gaps.
Cue Cards Write out any formulas or keywords that you struggle to remember or explain on to A5 cards. Place them around your bedroom or elsewhere in the house and use them as visual prompts to verbally explain them. This spontaneous approach can help you think on your feet in the exam.

To succeed in GCSE English Language, you have to understand the assessment objectives like the back of your hand; what they mean and how you can work with them when answering exam questions. As aforementioned, the key to getting a 9 is in the assessment objectives, here’s the summary:

AO1 is all about extracting information from the text.
AO2 focuses on analysing language and structure.
AO3 wants you to show you can compare and contrast texts.
AO4 requires in depth evaluation of a text.
AO5 measures your creative writing.
AO6 is about your vocabulary and grammar.

AO1 is the first assessment objective for GCSE English Language and is used to mark these questions:

AQA Paper 1, Question 1
AQA Paper 2, Questions 1 and 2
OCR Exploring effects and impact, Questions 1a and 1b
OCR Communicating information and ideas, Questions 1 and 2
Edexcel Paper 1, Questions 1 and
Edexcel Paper 2, Question 1 and 4

AO1 is the simplest assessment objective and is used for the first questions in your paper. Although the rewarded marks aren’t high, it can make the difference between an 8 and a 9 so you really need to get full marks on these questions. To achieve AO1, you have to read the given text and extract the information relevant to the question. You don’t have to provide an in-depth analysis, you just need to show the evidence, so this question style is pretty straight forward. However, many students make simple mistakes and miss out on marks.

Don’t give overly long quotations, you only need to include the relevant words or phrases otherwise it’s not clear that you actually know what information to extract. If a metaphor has been used by the writer to describe something, don’t write the metaphor but say what it is actually describing. An example of this was in the 2018 AQA Paper 1 extract; the writer described pterodactyls as ‘flying tents’ but if you wrote that there were ‘flying tents’, you would not get the mark. If the question says ‘explain’, you can’t just use the quote as you need to explain what it means. It is very important to take time to read the question properly.

AO2 “Explain, comment on and analyse how writers use language and structure to achieve effects and influence readers, using relevant subject terminology to support their views.”

AO2 is the second objective for GCSE English Language and is relevant to these questions:

AQA Paper 1, Questions 2 and 3
AQA Paper 2, Question
OCR Exploring effects and impact, Questions 2 and 3
OCR Communicating information and ideas, Question 3
Edexcel Paper 1, Question 3
Edexcel Paper 2, Questions 2, 3 and 5

AO2 is all about taking examples of language and structure from the extract and analysing their effect. The best way to structure your answer for this style of question is P.E.E which stands for Point, Evidence, Explain. This structure will probably be very familiar to you since most teachers use it but it is the best way to demonstrate AO2. The harder part is the actual analysis of the language and structure but, with practice, this will become much more intuitive. To achieve the highest marks, you need to give really detailed analysis which goes beyond the surface level meaning.

You could ask yourself these questions when analysing a piece of text:

Why did the writer use this specific word?
What is the writer trying to convey?
How does this make the reader feel?
What are the connotations of this language?
Does the structure reflect the content of the extract?
Is the writer making a reference and why are they doing this?

The main things to avoid when answering AO2 questions is giving surface level analysis, forgetting to comment on language and structure, and using standard phrases like ‘creates an image’.

AO3 “Compare writers’ ideas and perspectives, as well as how these are conveyed, across two or more texts.”

AO3 is relevant to these questions:

AQA Paper 2, Question 4
OCR Exploring effects and impact, Question
OCR Communicating information and ideas, Question 4
Edexcel Paper 2, Question 7b

To achieve the top marks in an AO3 question, you need to look for the similarities and differences across two pieces of text. You must try to write about an equal number of differences and similarities to show that your work is balanced. You also need to have variety in your comparisons so don’t analyse adjectives in every example! The best structure to follow for these questions is to firstly say what point the text is making, how the writer conveys this and then compare or contrast with the other extract.

When comparing and contrasting two pieces of text, you can ask yourself these questions:

How is the tone different or similar?
Do the writers employ particular literary techniques, what is their purpose?
How will the readers interpret the text?
What emotion is the writer trying to create and how do they do this?

AO4 “Evaluate texts critically and support this with appropriate textual references.”

AO4 is used to mark these questions:

AQA Paper 1, Question 4
OCR Exploring effects and impact, Question 4
Edexcel Paper 1, Question 4
Edexcel Paper 2, Question 6

With AO4 questions, you will be given a statement relating to the extract and you need to give a response and state how far you agree (for Edexcel, you’ll have to evaluate if the writer’s aim was achieved). These questions are all worth 15 marks or more, so it’s really important that you know how to answer them if you want to get a 9 in your English Language GCSE.

There are two main things to evaluate; you need to assess the source in relation to the statement and consider the writer’s methods. If you follow the P.E.E structure, what the source shows and how it links to the statement will be your point but you still need to evaluate it after your example. The writer’s method will be your evidence, then you must evaluate it.

AO5 “Communicate clearly, effectively and imaginatively, selecting and adapting tone, style and register for different forms, purposes and audiences. Organise information and ideas, using structural and grammatical features to support coherence and cohesion of texts.”

AO5 is the assessment objective for the creative writing questions:

AQA Paper 1, Question 5 (choice between two tasks)
AQA Paper 2, Question 5 (no choices)
OCR Exploring effects and impact, Question 5 or 6
OCR Communicating information and ideas, Question 5 or 6
Edexcel Paper 1, Question 5 or 6
Edexcel Paper 2, Question 8 or 9

The creative writing part of your English Language GCSE is hugely important as it’s worth half the marks on your paper (with the exception of Edexcel Paper 2, and AO5 makes up 24 of those marks). Creative writing can be daunting for some as there’s no extract to follow, it’s whatever you decide to write about. With the right practice and preparation, the creative writing questions will be a lot easier to tackle.

There are many techniques to use for creative writing so if you’re struggling, think about extracts you’ve analysed over the two years and the creative skills that they used. It’s important to use structural techniques as well as language if you want to get the top marks, but lots of people struggle with the best structural skills to include.

AO6 is the assessment objective for the creative writing questions:

AO6 is dedicated to your vocabulary and grammar and is worth 16 marks in the final creative writing question so it’s really important to perfect this if you want to get a 9 in English Language GCSE. A useful tip for using a variety of punctuation is to write down various forms of punctuation in your plan, then tick them off as you use them this ensures you have a wide range. The best way to improve your vocabulary is to read more, even if you’re just reading the texts for English Literature. If you ever see a word you don’t recognise, research the meaning and write it down the more you do this, the greater your vocabulary will be. If you’re really struggling to spell a word in your exam, try and find an alternative that conveys the same meaning rather than losing important marks for your spelling.

English Literature

I’ve always loved English Lit - studying the subject gives you the greater ability to empathise with others: you see yourself mirrored within books and delve deeper into what makes people, people. The modern prose (I did ‘An Inspector Calls’) is especially relatable today, and even Shakespeare’s writing has themes which are still relevant. But, of course, less of the supernatural ghosts! Once you get past Shakespearean language (Sparknotes is great to translate his plays into a more modern English) you can see the destructiveness of greed, what drives ambition, and the undying power of love. The very things that run the world today!

As I said before… it’s not easy! A 2 hour 15 minute long exam? 3 essays? I’ve always struggled with timings and structure - but these things can be refined with a bit of hard work. Being a visual learner, making diagrams and using colour helped me remember the key points to mention in each paragraph. For example, using a point, evidence, explain structure and remembering to include context on what the writer is trying to show about society through their choice of language.

I think the most important way to get good grades in English is consistency. Do not underestimate the importance of classwork because, at the end of the day (or two years), that’s the content you’ll be assessed on. What helped me most were practice questions. After you study the text thoroughly: characters, themes, plot, quotes, different interpretations and perspectives - do a practice question so you get used to applying your knowledge - like you would do in an exam.

It can seem quite daunting at first, which is why I strongly recommend getting started early on. Over time, your technique will get better as you apply the teacher’s feedback. For example, once my ideas were perceptive and I explored different views within my text. I also needed to work on my structure in order to make my essays clearer and more precise. This eliminated all the unnecessary waffle so the examiner can match my response to the mark scheme and easily award me marks. Examiners are looking for the quality of the points you make, not the quantity!

English Literature is also all about ideas: the more you read, the better your ideas will become. You’ll start thinking differently about the plot and linking the themes with characters, or even start to see how the author’s life and what was going on around them influences how they write. This is called perception, and it’s a crucial skill to develop in order to qualify for the top grade bands. When you start re-reading your texts regularly, you’ll not only consolidate the key points, but also think differently about what’s going on and be able to approach the text from a broader perspective (knowing how the text will end and what happens next).

Revising consistently is good, but you need to find the right methods. Using a wide range of vocabulary can help explain your ideas in a more sophisticated and precise manner. I find that Quizlet is great for this as it’s easy to do on the go, or, you can make it more fun and visualise it through adding diagrams and using fancy fonts. Sparknotes (No Fear Shakespeare) is also extremely helpful to act as a basic outline for your own notes and revision resources. They include main themes, characters, plot and quotations. That said, don’t make it your only revision resource.

Learning quotes is often overestimated when revising for English Literature, people often spend more time learning how to memorise reams and reams of quotes. What’s more effective is learning a few short quotes which are easy to remember. These are called ‘microquotes’ and linking them to a bigger theme through a character is a great way to show skill. Remember that your quotes should always have a dramatic device to analyse in detail: common dramatic devices are contrast (juxtaposition), metaphors and similes.

Remember that the English Lit (AQA) exam is split into two papers and it’s important to keep going through your plays, novels and poetry throughout the year to keep it fresh in your mind. I started alternating my practice questions from February: going over the one text/section of the paper every couple of weeks. I focused on one text at a time and went through it thoroughly, making sure I understood everything in the texts so that I could make links, parallels and contrasts between detailed scenes/chapters as well as the texts as a whole.

It’s also essential to revise for the mocks as if they’re the real thing. If anything, because I did this, the real exam was so much more relaxing. After I finished every text I made some revision materials to help me trigger my memory and ideas about the text.

When it came to the exam, I used these materials to go over, because making sure you know and understand the text is essential, how else will you be able to be ‘perceptive’ about it? Essay plans are also really good to do when you’re rushed for time. Use an example question and always, always plan out your answer. What is your first paragraph/point going to be? In each paragraph you should link back to the question, talk about language with quotes to support your point. You should also explain why the writer wanted to write about this - what events were going around at that time? For example, in ‘An Inspector Calls’, remembering the audience knew the Titanic sank after the play was set is dramatic irony.

Nonetheless, at the end of Mock paper 1, I thought I had done terribly. After so much revision and preparation, I could only think of what I did wrong. I had a ‘Macbeth’ ‘asses’ question, and although I tried to plan my answer thoroughly, I didn’t have enough time to do a proper counter argument. On paper 2, I was still rushed for time but I made sure I stuck more consistently to timings and planned my answer to every question. Luckily, my poetry question was on the exact same poem that came up in a practice question I did, which is why practice papers are so important (even though it wasn’t the same question).

English Literature is a tough exam and there’s a lot of it, so it’s important to consistently refresh your memory on the texts and revisit them with new ideas over and over again. If you’re not great at timings, first get the skills right. For example, picking specific quotations, analysing them in detail and the linking in what events happened in the author’s lifetime to inspire their point of view. Try and pick apart specific details from a quote and then look at the wider perspective, are there any similarities or sharp contrasts to the rest of the texts? Getting a good grade means you should also persistently look at not only how the author did it (language analysis) but why would they write this novel, play or poem? What is the point they are trying to make to their audience or readers? What is the writer trying to say about human nature, society and the world?

My GCSE NOTES
Please find below a Dropbox link to all of my GCSE Revision notes. I hope they help!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2bt1bms93...k1Btv_XXa?dl=0

If you would like some tips on Business, Drama, History or Computer Science, let me know and I’ll be happy to help.
I hope you found this helpful!

With all my best wishes,
Mentor05
Reply 3
Original post by Mentor05
Mathematics

For maths I did the AQA Specification. Lots of people revise for Maths in very different ways, and that is perfectly fine as long as you are understanding the concepts. Most people like to do Exam Questions and then practice, practice and practice, whereas others like to make notes. I personally, found that doing Exam Questions was the best way to revise as I could answer questions, and then check solutions and mark schemes to see where I went wrong and what alternative methods could be used. Most questions in Maths are recycled from past papers, and just have different numbers. But these questions are also recycled from the 2000-2014 papers, so I would recommend practicing these as well as the new 9-1 Papers. But, don’t just rely on Past papers from your exam board, my school used AQA but I practised Edexcel and OCR papers too, this is good practice because you can go through a wider range of questions. Here are some more detailed resources and websites:

https://www.mathsgenie.co.uk You can use this to access a wide range of Exam papers, and then after you’ve completed the paper you can watch walkthroughs so you can see how to do all the questions. They also have Exam Questions for each topic, I thought this was really helpful because after you’ve covered a topic in class you can do the topic exam questions to see if you understand the topic and this will show you what you need to focus on. The topics are also split by grades, so if you’re aiming for a 9 do all the questions.

https://corbettmaths.com AMAZING! They make their own Exam papers so you can practice these too. They have a wide range of Worksheets, videos and Topic exam questions which will help you get a better insight into your understanding of different units. I would really recommend doing the 5-a-day. They have one sheet of questions for each day and these sheets have a range of different questions so you can keep testing your skills on different questions. The sheets are split by level, if you’re definitely doing Foundation for the real exams stick to the Foundation sheets, if you’re currently doing foundation but want to do higher, try the Foundation plus sheets, if you’re doing Higher and aiming for a 6/7 do the Higher sheets, and if you’re aiming for an 8/9 do the Higher plus sheets.

https://www.piximaths.co.uk/revision-booklets - These booklets are split by grades, so you can practice Exam questions suited to the level you’re aiming for.

https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/math...300/assessment resources?f.Resource+type%7C6=Question+papers - AQA Maths Exam Questions and revision.

https://revisionmaths.com/gcse-maths...hs-past-papers - Edexcel Maths Exam Questions and revision.

https://revisionmaths.com/gcse-maths...hs-past-papers - OCR Maths Exam Questions and revision.

Science Chemistry Triple and Combined

Something that really helped me to revise and understand the topics in Science was staying engaged in lessons. I only really started making a proper effort to do this in year 11. I know it can be daunting, but putting your hand up and answering questions, even if you get it wrong, will help you in the future when it comes to exam time. Small questions asked regularly can make all the difference for comparatively little effort put in (it’s just raising your hand)!

Taking clear notes is also very important because these will be what you come back to in your revision. Also, if you miss a lesson for whatever reason, be sure to copy down notes from your friends. If you don’t understand what you missed see your teacher! Admitting you don’t understand something can be hard for some people and asking your teacher (especially outside of normal class hours) can be even harder but it is very important. Never be afraid to ask for extra help in lessons or see your teacher afterwards, especially if you have missed a lesson or two. I missed many lessons due to illness so I got into the habit of asking when I didn’t understand something I’d missed - it saved me a load of time in the long run! For example, within the Chemistry I found polymers particularly challenging so during those classes I made a mental note to myself to pay extra attention.

Don’t make notes too fancy! Just simple, clear and easy to digest. As long as you make it your aim to take note of everything in the syllabus in a way that will make the information easy to understand when you start revising then you’ll be in a great position to do well in the exam. I found making flash cards from CGP revision guides the most effective way of retaining information so I slowly made my way through the guides, making a flash card for each point that I wasn’t confident I already knew, skipping obvious pages to save time.

I used colours for some notes but was also conscious of not wasting time trying to make my notes ‘look good’. In the end I wrote them in black ink then when I had finished re read them, highlighted key words in orange then without the notes in front of me, tried to remember some of the topic I just wrote notes on. I also sometimes drew pictures which helped a bit with boredom and also helped me remember. I also used Seneca, a revision app/website, which was quite useful and a lot more enjoyable than the conventional “getting your head down”. The points system gamified the experience for me and made it feel less like boring old revision.

On YouTube I watched freesciencelessons.com for topics I struggled on and Science With Hazel has very helpful videos to write notes on, covering the whole of paper 1 or 2 in just a couple of hours. I finished my flash cards for chemistry around 2 weeks before the Mocks began but I definitely hadn’t memorised all of them at that point. I went over them whenever I could, whether it was in the car, on the train or before I went to bed and continued my other revision methods as well. Eventually I felt I knew enough to do past papers so I did 3 for paper 1 (they were given to us by school) in the last week before the exams started and got 96/100 in one of them. Wherever I got a question wrong (when it wasn’t a silly mistake) I would watch a video on it on YouTube, normally freesciencelessons.com or Science with Hazel, then write notes on it again. I did the same with flash cards I struggled to remember or a particular topic I had difficulty with.

I also wrote small bits of information I couldn’t remember very well, for example, flame test colours, on post-it notes then stuck them all over my house. This helped because I saw them whenever I brushed my teeth or opened the fridge, during the exam I could then picture the place in my head and then recall what was written on the post-it note. This is a bit like the memory palace technique which memory experts often use to remember huge amounts of detailed information. Anyway, my version of this technique did the job for GCSE! It also helped that I would see the note multiple times a day whenever I walked past it. As always, little and often is the most efficient method. I found writing mnemonics on these post-it notes particularly useful.

Example: Little-Cats Sometimes-Yell Pretty-Loudly Cause-Of Cold-Gardens. I used this to remember the flame tests for cations.

Another technique I used quite often as a little bit of a break from writing was FaceTiming my friends and just testing each other from the revision guide questions. Try to find someone of similar motivation and ability to challenge each other, you could also keep it light hearted and jokey so it didn’t really feel like normal revision! The night before the exam, I separated my flash cards into 2 piles: Pile 1 - Flashcards I knew and Pile 2 - Flashcards I didn’t totally know or was a bit slow/hesitant when I tested myself. I then wrote the ones I didn’t remember repeatedly and found this worked for a short term memory method. Just before the exam I read through the notes from the night before and this helped calm me down just before going into the exam hall. I didn’t have a fancy technique for the Mock, I just went through it one question at a time and focussed only on the question at hand. The Mock went pretty well, apart from a few silly mistakes I made (remember to read the questions properly). For paper 2 I used the same methods

Science Biology Triple and Combined

Personally, I found GCSE Biology a struggle however with focused revision I managed to increase my predicted grade to a 9. I found human biology the most difficult in particular DNA as it was a complex topic which required a lot of thought. The topics I found easier were plant biology and the brain because if you learnt the key facts you could usually score full marks in these questions. Another reason I found Biology difficult was for the simple fact that it was a double lesson and I really struggled to remain focused for this length of time!

One of my top tips for revision is to learn how you learn! I am a linguistic learner meaning I learn through writing things down but everyone has their own learning style so I strongly encourage you to find yours. Finding a healthy work life balance is also important, I wanted to get good grades but I couldn't afford to sacrifice my mental or physical health just to achieve that.
I used a host of revision techniques such as flash cards, making notes, watching videos and getting others to quiz me on topics. While it may seem like a lot of work to make flashcards they are effective if used correctly (remember to test yourself), so the time spent will be worth it in the long run. The way I made my flashcards was by looking at the question box in the corner of the page in my textbook and writing these onto flash cards and putting the answers on the back. If your textbooks don't include this feature you could use the Quizlet website provides a lot of flashcards and could give you ideas of what to write on yours or you could use the online flashcards on their website to save you some work.

The first thing to consider before you start revising is what you’ll need to know for the exam. Knowing what topics you’ll be asked questions on can help you condense your revision into the essential areas. The GCSE biology exam is broken down into eight key topics:

Cell biology
Organisation
Infection and response
Bioenergetics
Homeostasis and response
Inheritance, variation and evolution
Ecology
Key ideas

Once you’ve condensed your study notes down into the eight topics above, you can start planning what to study and when. The easiest way to organise your biology revision is to use a revision timetable. All you really need is a spreadsheet, a diary, or a wall planner where you can mark out the weeks until your exam. Once you know how many weeks you have, decide which days you’ll dedicate to biology revision. Mark them out on your schedule and specify what topics you’ll study on particular days. As your revision gets underway, mark off each complete day on your schedule so you can see how you’re progressing. Seeing those days being marked off on your calendar can provide you with the motivation to keep going. Remember to include practice test papers alongside your topic revision.

Science Physics Triple and Combined

GCSE Physics has a lot of formulas so it’s important to know them, understand them, know how to use them and whether a formula sheet will be given to you in the exam. Check with your teacher if you are not sure or visit the exam board website for more information. It’s best to have a look at the formula sheet before the exam, so you will know which equations are provided, and which you will need to commit to memory.

Make sure to show all your working out, too. Writing an answer without showing the calculation will not gain you full marks, regardless of how correct you are. And finally, don’t forget to bring a calculator to the examination with you!
You might need to download a specification guide if you haven’t got one. These are vital to knowing what you will be examined on and all the topics that need to be covered. Ask your teacher for one or visit the exam board website for a copy. Secondly, mix up your revision style. Rewrite notes in colour, bullet points, mind maps, whatever works best for you. Try something new so you don’t get bored easily, such as a Quizlet study set on physics forces. These will help you learn key terms. Then set a plan in place to ensure that you cover all topics before the exam date. Use the specification to help you work out how much you need to revise and in what time frame. Don’t pack too much into one study session or you will end up too tired to learn. Sessions should be short but allow you to cover a section within the specification each night.

Knowing how to complete the investigation and experiments, step by step will help you gain marks in the exam, so make sure to revise that element and don’t skim over it when looking through your notes. Here are some flashcards to help you with required practicals. Also, don’t forget to study all about the components of the investigation. Know the difference between the independent and dependent variable, the hypotheses and the aim, fair testing and the control variables. Use these flashcards on practical skills to help refresh your memory if you are stuck. Finally, make sure to leave plenty of time for revision. Work through all your notes, revision guides and textbooks, following the specification.

Science CGP BOOKS

These are the books I bought, but if you see my notes (Dropbox link below) they include all of the information. These books are for Edexcel Triple but if you scroll down you can find some for AQA and combined science.

Biology - https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Grade-G...c=1&th=1&psc=1

Chemistry - https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Grade-G...JY95YE59225SQH

Physics - https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Grade-G...C2BKB2W26F3XAM

https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com I would definitely recommend checking this out. They have notes and Exam questions for every topic. The notes and flashcards are short and concise, so they are really effective.

Command words are specific directions that indicate the type of answer you should give. Although it might seem obvious, understanding what’s being asked of you is essential to focusing your answer and attaining all available marks. In GCSE science, some of the most common command words include:

Describe Requires you to give an account of what is happening. For example, a ‘describe’ question could require you to outline a process, or write a sequence of events.
State This command word requires you to write a statement, i.e. factual information. Typically, these types of questions require you to write a single word or sentence and rely on your retained knowledge.
Explain An ‘explain’ command word requires you to provide details of why something happens. These are typically multi-step questions that require you to present your answer logically.
Compare and contrast These command words require you to explore what’s similar and what’s different between two processes, ideas etc. These questions can be tricky and people often lose marks for failing to complete both parts.

One of the most effective ways to maintain your motivation for revising is to use several different approaches. The more variety you have in your revision, the more you’ll enjoy the process and the more information you’ll retain for the exam. Here are our top revision techniques:

Beat the Clock Using biology practice tests, give yourself a time limit for specific questions. Set a timer and aim to answer the question as quickly as you can, while aiming for maximum points. This technique is particularly good for improving time management skills and getting used to answering questions under pressure.
Mind Mapping If you’re a visual learner, you might find mind mapping a useful way to remember important formulas, facts and equations. Start with a central topic and write out all the important information that you need to know. Try doing it from memory first, and then consult your notes to fill in any gaps.
Cue Cards Write out any formulas or keywords that you struggle to remember or explain on to A5 cards. Place them around your bedroom or elsewhere in the house and use them as visual prompts to verbally explain them. This spontaneous approach can help you think on your feet in the exam.

To succeed in GCSE English Language, you have to understand the assessment objectives like the back of your hand; what they mean and how you can work with them when answering exam questions. As aforementioned, the key to getting a 9 is in the assessment objectives, here’s the summary:

AO1 is all about extracting information from the text.
AO2 focuses on analysing language and structure.
AO3 wants you to show you can compare and contrast texts.
AO4 requires in depth evaluation of a text.
AO5 measures your creative writing.
AO6 is about your vocabulary and grammar.

AO1 is the first assessment objective for GCSE English Language and is used to mark these questions:

AQA Paper 1, Question 1
AQA Paper 2, Questions 1 and 2
OCR Exploring effects and impact, Questions 1a and 1b
OCR Communicating information and ideas, Questions 1 and 2
Edexcel Paper 1, Questions 1 and
Edexcel Paper 2, Question 1 and 4

AO1 is the simplest assessment objective and is used for the first questions in your paper. Although the rewarded marks aren’t high, it can make the difference between an 8 and a 9 so you really need to get full marks on these questions. To achieve AO1, you have to read the given text and extract the information relevant to the question. You don’t have to provide an in-depth analysis, you just need to show the evidence, so this question style is pretty straight forward. However, many students make simple mistakes and miss out on marks.

Don’t give overly long quotations, you only need to include the relevant words or phrases otherwise it’s not clear that you actually know what information to extract. If a metaphor has been used by the writer to describe something, don’t write the metaphor but say what it is actually describing. An example of this was in the 2018 AQA Paper 1 extract; the writer described pterodactyls as ‘flying tents’ but if you wrote that there were ‘flying tents’, you would not get the mark. If the question says ‘explain’, you can’t just use the quote as you need to explain what it means. It is very important to take time to read the question properly.

AO2 “Explain, comment on and analyse how writers use language and structure to achieve effects and influence readers, using relevant subject terminology to support their views.”

AO2 is the second objective for GCSE English Language and is relevant to these questions:

AQA Paper 1, Questions 2 and 3
AQA Paper 2, Question
OCR Exploring effects and impact, Questions 2 and 3
OCR Communicating information and ideas, Question 3
Edexcel Paper 1, Question 3
Edexcel Paper 2, Questions 2, 3 and 5

AO2 is all about taking examples of language and structure from the extract and analysing their effect. The best way to structure your answer for this style of question is P.E.E which stands for Point, Evidence, Explain. This structure will probably be very familiar to you since most teachers use it but it is the best way to demonstrate AO2. The harder part is the actual analysis of the language and structure but, with practice, this will become much more intuitive. To achieve the highest marks, you need to give really detailed analysis which goes beyond the surface level meaning.

You could ask yourself these questions when analysing a piece of text:

Why did the writer use this specific word?
How does this make the reader feel?
What are the connotations of this language?
Does the structure reflect the content of the extract?
Is the writer making a reference and why are they doing this?

The main things to avoid when answering AO2 questions is giving surface level analysis, forgetting to comment on language and structure, and using standard phrases like ‘creates an image’.

AO3 “Compare writers’ ideas and perspectives, as well as how these are conveyed, across two or more texts.”

AO3 is relevant to these questions:

AQA Paper 2, Question 4
OCR Exploring effects and impact, Question
Edexcel Paper 2, Question 7b

To achieve the top marks in an AO3 question, you need to look for the similarities and differences across two pieces of text. You must try to write about an equal number of differences and similarities to show that your work is balanced. You also need to have variety in your comparisons so don’t analyse adjectives in every example! The best structure to follow for these questions is to firstly say what point the text is making, how the writer conveys this and then compare or contrast with the other extract.

When comparing and contrasting two pieces of text, you can ask yourself these questions:

How is the tone different or similar?
Do the writers employ particular literary techniques, what is their purpose?
How will the readers interpret the text?
What emotion is the writer trying to create and how do they do this?

AO4 “Evaluate texts critically and support this with appropriate textual references.”

AO4 is used to mark these questions:

AQA Paper 1, Question 4
OCR Exploring effects and impact, Question 4
Edexcel Paper 1, Question 4
Edexcel Paper 2, Question 6

With AO4 questions, you will be given a statement relating to the extract and you need to give a response and state how far you agree (for Edexcel, you’ll have to evaluate if the writer’s aim was achieved). These questions are all worth 15 marks or more, so it’s really important that you know how to answer them if you want to get a 9 in your English Language GCSE.

There are two main things to evaluate; you need to assess the source in relation to the statement and consider the writer’s methods. If you follow the P.E.E structure, what the source shows and how it links to the statement will be your point but you still need to evaluate it after your example. The writer’s method will be your evidence, then you must evaluate it.

AO5 “Communicate clearly, effectively and imaginatively, selecting and adapting tone, style and register for different forms, purposes and audiences. Organise information and ideas, using structural and grammatical features to support coherence and cohesion of texts.”

AO5 is the assessment objective for the creative writing questions:

The creative writing part of your English Language GCSE is hugely important as it’s worth half the marks on your paper (with the exception of Edexcel Paper 2, and AO5 makes up 24 of those marks). Creative writing can be daunting for some as there’s no extract to follow, it’s whatever you decide to write about. With the right practice and preparation, the creative writing questions will be a lot easier to tackle.

There are many techniques to use for creative writing so if you’re struggling, think about extracts you’ve analysed over the two years and the creative skills that they used. It’s important to use structural techniques as well as language if you want to get the top marks, but lots of people struggle with the best structural skills to include.

AO6 is the assessment objective for the creative writing questions:

AO6 is dedicated to your vocabulary and grammar and is worth 16 marks in the final creative writing question so it’s really important to perfect this if you want to get a 9 in English Language GCSE. A useful tip for using a variety of punctuation is to write down various forms of punctuation in your plan, then tick them off as you use them this ensures you have a wide range. The best way to improve your vocabulary is to read more, even if you’re just reading the texts for English Literature. If you ever see a word you don’t recognise, research the meaning and write it down the more you do this, the greater your vocabulary will be. If you’re really struggling to spell a word in your exam, try and find an alternative that conveys the same meaning rather than losing important marks for your spelling.

English Literature

I’ve always loved English Lit - studying the subject gives you the greater ability to empathise with others: you see yourself mirrored within books and delve deeper into what makes people, people. The modern prose (I did ‘An Inspector Calls’) is especially relatable today, and even Shakespeare’s writing has themes which are still relevant. But, of course, less of the supernatural ghosts! Once you get past Shakespearean language (Sparknotes is great to translate his plays into a more modern English) you can see the destructiveness of greed, what drives ambition, and the undying power of love. The very things that run the world today!

As I said before… it’s not easy! A 2 hour 15 minute long exam? 3 essays? I’ve always struggled with timings and structure - but these things can be refined with a bit of hard work. Being a visual learner, making diagrams and using colour helped me remember the key points to mention in each paragraph. For example, using a point, evidence, explain structure and remembering to include context on what the writer is trying to show about society through their choice of language.

I think the most important way to get good grades in English is consistency. Do not underestimate the importance of classwork because, at the end of the day (or two years), that’s the content you’ll be assessed on. What helped me most were practice questions. After you study the text thoroughly: characters, themes, plot, quotes, different interpretations and perspectives - do a practice question so you get used to applying your knowledge - like you would do in an exam.

It can seem quite daunting at first, which is why I strongly recommend getting started early on. Over time, your technique will get better as you apply the teacher’s feedback. For example, once my ideas were perceptive and I explored different views within my text. I also needed to work on my structure in order to make my essays clearer and more precise. This eliminated all the unnecessary waffle so the examiner can match my response to the mark scheme and easily award me marks. Examiners are looking for the quality of the points you make, not the quantity!

English Literature is also all about ideas: the more you read, the better your ideas will become. You’ll start thinking differently about the plot and linking the themes with characters, or even start to see how the author’s life and what was going on around them influences how they write. This is called perception, and it’s a crucial skill to develop in order to qualify for the top grade bands. When you start re-reading your texts regularly, you’ll not only consolidate the key points, but also think differently about what’s going on and be able to approach the text from a broader perspective (knowing how the text will end and what happens next).

Revising consistently is good, but you need to find the right methods. Using a wide range of vocabulary can help explain your ideas in a more sophisticated and precise manner. I find that Quizlet is great for this as it’s easy to do on the go, or, you can make it more fun and visualise it through adding diagrams and using fancy fonts. Sparknotes (No Fear Shakespeare) is also extremely helpful to act as a basic outline for your own notes and revision resources. They include main themes, characters, plot and quotations. That said, don’t make it your only revision resource.

Learning quotes is often overestimated when revising for English Literature, people often spend more time learning how to memorise reams and reams of quotes. What’s more effective is learning a few short quotes which are easy to remember. These are called ‘microquotes’ and linking them to a bigger theme through a character is a great way to show skill. Remember that your quotes should always have a dramatic device to analyse in detail: common dramatic devices are contrast (juxtaposition), metaphors and similes.

Remember that the English Lit (AQA) exam is split into two papers and it’s important to keep going through your plays, novels and poetry throughout the year to keep it fresh in your mind. I started alternating my practice questions from February: going over the one text/section of the paper every couple of weeks. I focused on one text at a time and went through it thoroughly, making sure I understood everything in the texts so that I could make links, parallels and contrasts between detailed scenes/chapters as well as the texts as a whole.

It’s also essential to revise for the mocks as if they’re the real thing. If anything, because I did this, the real exam was so much more relaxing. After I finished every text I made some revision materials to help me trigger my memory and ideas about the text.

When it came to the exam, I used these materials to go over, because making sure you know and understand the text is essential, how else will you be able to be ‘perceptive’ about it? Essay plans are also really good to do when you’re rushed for time. Use an example question and always, always plan out your answer. What is your first paragraph/point going to be? In each paragraph you should link back to the question, talk about language with quotes to support your point. You should also explain why the writer wanted to write about this - what events were going around at that time? For example, in ‘An Inspector Calls’, remembering the audience knew the Titanic sank after the play was set is dramatic irony.

Nonetheless, at the end of Mock paper 1, I thought I had done terribly. After so much revision and preparation, I could only think of what I did wrong. I had a ‘Macbeth’ ‘asses’ question, and although I tried to plan my answer thoroughly, I didn’t have enough time to do a proper counter argument. On paper 2, I was still rushed for time but I made sure I stuck more consistently to timings and planned my answer to every question. Luckily, my poetry question was on the exact same poem that came up in a practice question I did, which is why practice papers are so important (even though it wasn’t the same question).

English Literature is a tough exam and there’s a lot of it, so it’s important to consistently refresh your memory on the texts and revisit them with new ideas over and over again. If you’re not great at timings, first get the skills right. For example, picking specific quotations, analysing them in detail and the linking in what events happened in the author’s lifetime to inspire their point of view. Try and pick apart specific details from a quote and then look at the wider perspective, are there any similarities or sharp contrasts to the rest of the texts? Getting a good grade means you should also persistently look at not only how the author did it (language analysis) but why would they write this novel, play or poem? What is the point they are trying to make to their audience or readers? What is the writer trying to say about human nature, society and the world?

My GCSE NOTES
Please find below a Dropbox link to all of my GCSE Revision notes. I hope they help!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2bt1bms93...k1Btv_XXa?dl=0

If you would like some tips on Business, Drama, History or Computer Science, let me know and I’ll be happy to help.
I hope you found this helpful!

With all my best wishes,
Mentor05

Hey! Is there a possibility you could update your revision link notes as it is not working. Many thanks!
As the title says:
Math
English
Science
Geography
French
Enterprise
Media

Thanks!!

Hi,

Good luck with your tests. I would recommend the CGP revision guide for geography - i find it so helpful. It also comes with an online book which can be used anywhere with wifi
Computer Science revision tips for the Year 10 PPE's which determine whether we can take Computing GCSE please.
As the title says:
Math
English
Science
Geography
French
Enterprise
Media
Thanks!!

with is ppe

Quick Reply

Latest