The Student Room Group

reverse diet or straight to tdee

I know what I've been doing is extremely bad for you and now I want to fix it before I go back to school so there's less stress on me.

for 6 months, I've been consistently eating 800 calories and and my maintenance is 1400-1500 calories a day. should I reverse diet up to this intake or jump straight to me tdee?
800 calories is not enough to sustain human life in the long term. Continue that level of nutrition long enough and eventually it will kill you.

Even if you stop way before it kills you, you may still be harmed and the longer you carry it on the more significant and more long lasting the harm will be. Depending on your age, size and the nutritional value of the little food you're eating you could suffer long term cognitive, developmental and psychosocial issues and you risk lasting organ damage that may well both shorten your life and reduce quality of life.

1400 -1500 calories is a very low amount to consider a maintenance level and would represent the maintenance for a very small person living an unhealthily sedentary lifestyle. For most people this would represent a significant calorie deficit.

I'm glad you realise your current behaviour is unhealthy, I'm not sure you understand quite how bad for you it is.

If you are looking for a particular body image or size you need to realise that dieting, particularly extreme diets will never, and I do mean never, help you achieve that image. If you are over your ideal weight (which given your reported past behaviour seems extremely unlikely) the only way to get to where you want to be is to maintain a small calorie deficit over a long period which you generate not by denying yourself food but by increasing physical activity.

If you are already at or below an ideal healthy weight and still aren't satisfied losing more weight will not make you feel better about yourself, again exercise combined with sufficient nutrition to bring you back to a healthy weight is the only workable solution to achieve the image you're looking for.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Nefarious
800 calories is not enough to sustain human life in the long term. Continue that level of nutrition long enough and eventually it will kill you.

Even if you stop way before it kills you, you may still be harmed and the longer you carry it on the more significant and more long lasting the harm will be. Depending on your age, size and the nutritional value of the little food you're eating you could suffer long term cognitive, developmental and psychosocial issues and you risk lasting organ damage that may well both shorten your life and reduce quality of life.

1400 -1500 calories is a very low amount to consider a maintenance level and would represent the maintenance for a very small person living an unhealthily sedentary lifestyle. For most people this would represent a significant calorie deficit.

I'm glad you realise your current behaviour is unhealthy, I'm not sure you understand quite how bad for you it is.

If you are looking for a particular body image or size you need to realise that dieting, particularly extreme diets will never, and I do mean never, help you achieve that image. If you are over your ideal weight (which given your reported past behaviour seems extremely unlikely) the only way to get to where you want to be is to maintain a small calorie deficit over a long period which you generate not by denying yourself food but by increasing physical activity.

If you are already at or below an ideal healthy weight and still aren't satisfied losing more weight will not make you feel better about yourself, again exercise combined with sufficient nutrition to bring you back to a healthy weight is the only workable solution to achieve the image you're looking for.

thank you! yep, I've recently been looking at the long term effects of it and it isn't pretty which is why I want to get back on track to a better amount of calories to not damage my body any further then it is.

I understand it is a low amount to consider a maintenance level, however being 7 stone 3 at 5 foot 4 means I don't generally need many calories in order to maintain my weight now (if my metabolism hasn't been damaged) and I do live a pretty sedentary lifestyle at the moment due to being out of school but I've taken up cycling for 6-8 miles which I'll increase as I build my endurance and will continue this as much as I can when I return to school in September

Although the question still stands whether I should skip straight to my maintenance calories or slowly increase to it by 100 calories a week?

Quick Reply

Latest