The Student Room Group

The Manchester United Thread XXIII

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by zKlown
Chelsea didn't trust the process, bet they're regretting it.

*Nods*

*Turns back to group*

Sack Ole then?

I think he needs to be backed in the market properly.

He ****ed up with Lukaku though but Cavani did the job so that saved his skin.

Wan bissaka sucks btw, what's the point sliding at all opportunities when you go to sleep on all crosses and can't cross yourself?

I don't think Solksjaer has the team, there's a strong first XI but a lot of players that he doesn't trust.

Either way don't care about you lot.
Ole out.
Reply 82
Reply 83
Please keep Ole, trust the process :colone:
Reply 84
Ole is a solid manager who will continue to to get Man Utd 65-78 points.
Original post by zKlown
Chelsea didn't trust the process, bet they're regretting it.

*Nods*

*Turns back to group*

And you know Chelsea wouldn't have won more titles and Champions Leagues by sticking with managers... how? Inter-dimensional travel?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 86
Original post by ozzyoscy
And you know Chelsea wouldn't have won more titles and Champions Leagues by sticking with managers... how? Inter-dimensional travel?

We did stick with managers tho.

Only premature sackings were Lampard scolari avb and Conte.

out of the four only Conte could you say made little sense.
Original post by bj27
We did stick with managers tho.

Only premature sackings were Lampard scolari avb and Conte.

out of the four only Conte could you say made little sense.

'Only' and then you list 4. Here's what I count as dumb, quick sackings post-Abramovic:

Ranieri - sacked after improving Chelsea's league position every year up to 2nd, and immediately after reaching a CL semi in only their 2nd ever year in the CL/EC

Jose - sacked after establishing Chelsea as title winners with back-to-back 90+ point seasons and an FA Cup (back when it mattered)

Grant - sacked for taking Chelsea to their first ever CL final and just missing out on title, after taking over partway through!

Scolari - sacked before even completing a season where they reached the CL semi and won FA Cup

Ancelotti - sacked year after winning league and FA cup double... for finishing 2nd.

AVB - labelled the long-term successor to Jose, sacked before even completing a season

Di Matteo - sacked months after winning their first ever CL/EC!!!

Rafa - didn't bother keeping him on despite a promising 3rd place finish and EL trophy

Came crawling back to Jose - sacked months after winning title

Conte - sacked year after winning title

Sarri - sacked after one season, reaching 3rd (and winning Europa League)

Lampard - sacked after reaching top 4 twice and CL knockouts with bad squad, and 2 months after topping table

There are excuses for a few - player power, politicing, bad form. But those are excuses, and more reasons I kinda hate football now.

What if they stuck with Grant rather than gone with Scolari? Stuck with Ancelotti instead of messing with AVB? Stuck with players *****ing about Conte instead of them *****ing about Sarri and Lampard? Doubt they'd be worse off.

And then other clubs in England alone - Everton with Koeman, Spurs with Pochettino, West Ham with Moyes, West Brom with Pulis, all the other clubs crawling back to sacked managers around Europe.

Man Utd stuck with Ole when they were nearer the relegation zone after a bit of bad form and, shock, they got better form and finished 2nd. Better that than just hiring the latest hot new manager who'll get trashed after 5 dodgy games, then everyone saying "oooh, look at that sexy manager over there available now, he'll fix things" and the cycle continues...
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 88
okay but do United have a CL under Ole as the manager?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by bj27
okay but do United have a CL under Ole as the manager?

That you need to jump from one hole-ridden piece of logic to the next just to have something to reply with tells me you see what I'm saying and agree, and that our discussion has concluded.

Let's not lower ourselves to this back and forth for the sake of... ugh... 'bants'.
Reply 90
triggered
Original post by bj27
triggered

That's... it? Disappointing finale.

If you're trying to get the last word, I gift it to you *tosses it on ground for the peasant*:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by bj27
I don't think Solksjaer has the team, there's a strong first XI but a lot of players that he doesn't trust.

When you look at our signings this season, and how they've been used, it really begs the question how much input Ole actually has in transfers.

No doubting Cavani at all. Clear success. However given our track record in signing players with this profile was he Ole's choice? and if he was why was the deal not done weeks earlier? Having him fully fit and available from the first game would've made such a huge difference.
Reply 93
Original post by ozzyoscy
That's... it? Disappointing finale.

If you're trying to get the last word, I gift it to you *tosses it on ground for the peasant*:

Lol not even I'm just having fun.

All the sackings we had were justifiable and United sack any manager that fails to make top four or that is in big danger of failing to make top 4 post Fergie. Moyes, LVG, Mourinho all sacked in similar circumstances to Chelsea's previous managers, don't tell me that you should have stuck with Mou either because that's pure delusion. This is how Chelsea have operated post Ancelotti. It's very clear that we changed our methods towards sackings and it's no different to how United or even City operate. Just that City make top 4 every season.

Maybe the managers could have turned it around but Lampard is not winning the CL this season, not the way in which Tuchel did it.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 94
Original post by sr90
When you look at our signings this season, and how they've been used, it really begs the question how much input Ole actually has in transfers.

No doubting Cavani at all. Clear success. However given our track record in signing players with this profile was he Ole's choice? and if he was why was the deal not done weeks earlier? Having him fully fit and available from the first game would've made such a huge difference.

True, but then who did Ole want in the first place and why can't he use the players the board have given to him?

I don't like the whole blame the board thing because despite being **** owners they've invested into the team for the most part, pussying about with Sancho was a travesty but you'd argue Greenwood wouldn't have shone like he did, now it makes sense to buy Sancho for some depth. Sancho + Kane + Varane + Neves would be a 250M window at least but doable, Although buying Kane isn't super necessary right now, I just don't see anybody buying Kane this summer, not at that price man.
Reply 95
Had someone in work trying to genuinely justify that Wan Bissaka should’ve gone to the Euros over Trent :facepalm2:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Mess.
Had someone in work trying to genuinely justify that Wan Bissaka should’ve gone to the Euros over Trent :facepalm2:

The man should just declare for DR Congo
Reply 97
Original post by That Bearded Man
The man should just declare for DR Congo

pretty much. unless he learns to play CB or learn to cross
Season ticket renewed. Roll on August.

Quick Reply

Latest