The Student Room Group

Can i study my A levels in one year as a scholar in a boarding school?

I got a scholarship to study my A levels in a boarding school in the UK for two years, but I would like to finish them in one instead of two. So I'm wondering whether it is possible for an international student to do so, and if so who do I talk to or what do I do? (The head of the admission, the headmaster?)
What a levels are they and why are you in a rush to finish them?
Reply 2
Original post by evakrstik
I got a scholarship to study my A levels in a boarding school in the UK for two years, but I would like to finish them in one instead of two. So I'm wondering whether it is possible for an international student to do so, and if so who do I talk to or what do I do? (The head of the admission, the headmaster?)

An A Level scholarship of the kind you are describing will be a 2 year scholarship.

You need to prepare for two years of study. Why have you thought of asking whether you can do the course in one year?

Which A Levels are you intending to take?

No, it won't be possible to complete in a single year. The entire school structure is based around a two year programme and they can't and won't change that for one pupil.
Reply 4
Original post by tej3141
What a levels are they and why are you in a rush to finish them?

Well, I probably will do maths, psychology and one more. I just want to finish as soon as possible so that I can have a gap year and of personal reasons.

So is it possible for me because ill be moving to the UK in September to my boarding school and can I ask them if its possible.
Reply 5
Original post by threeportdrift
No, it won't be possible to complete in a single year. The entire school structure is based around a two year programme and they can't and won't change that for one pupil.

Really? What about a year and a semester is that more probable?
Reply 6
Well, I probably will do maths, psychology and one more. I just want to finish as soon as possible so that I can have a gap year and of personal reasons.

So is it possible for me because ill be moving to the UK in September to my boarding school and can I ask them if its possible.

Don't even try to broach this with the school. You are extremely lucky to have been offered a 2 Year A Level scholarship at a boarding school, so don't do anything which might prevent you from taking it up.

Can you hint at what the personal reasons might be?
Really? What about a year and a semester is that more probable?

No, there is absolutely no chance whatsoever. Exams are at a fixed time of year and the whole school structure is based around it. It's simply not possible.
Reply 8
Original post by Kerzen
Don't even try to broach this with the school. You are extremely lucky to have been offered a 2 Year A Level scholarship at a boarding school, so don't do anything which might prevent you from taking it up.

Can you hint at what the personal reasons might be?

I just have to get out of there because i want to be with someone as soon as possible.
Reply 9
I just have to get out of there because i want to be with someone as soon as possible.

No, that isn't a good enough reason.

Who is this someone? If he/she has any sense, he/she will tell you how important it is that you make the most of your scholarship, which is such a wonderful and rare opportunity.
Reply 10
Original post by Kerzen
No, that isn't a good enough reason.

Who is this someone? If he/she has any sense, he/she will tell you how important it is that you make the most of your scholarship, which is such a wonderful and rare opportunity.

Yes, I know but it's a bit more complicated and I just would love to finish my exams as soon as a can.
And he is a very important person to me.
Reply 11
Yes, I know but it's a bit more complicated and I just would love to finish my exams as soon as a can.
And he is a very important person to me.

You need to spend two years on studying for your A Levels and if this person is worth being with, he will say that too and will encourage you.

I'm assuming that you are female, by the way.

A guy who encourages a young woman who has a 2 year A Level scholarship at a boarding school to bail out halfway is a guy worth avoiding.
You can't do it. Exams are just once a year (apart from retakes which you might end up needing if you try to rush through a 2 year course in 1 year).
Teachers have lesson plans to deliver the courses over 2 years - they are not going to change all that for one student
Reply 13
Original post by Kerzen
You need to spend two years on studying for your A Levels and if this person is worth being with, he will say that too and will encourage you.

I'm assuming that you are female, by the way.

A guy who encourages a young woman who has a 2 year A Level scholarship at a boarding school to bail out halfway is a guy worth avoiding.

Yes, I am female, and I know he will never do that but he doesn't know about it yet. Well about the 2 years because I told him that I'm going for only one.
Reply 14
Yes, I am female, and I know he will never do that but he doesn't know about it yet. Well about the 2 years because I told him that I'm going for only one.

That's ridiculous.

You won't be allowed to take the A Level exam in the summer of your Lower Sixth Year and if you leave then, you will be leaving without A Levels and that is really bad news for your career.
Reply 15
Original post by Kerzen
That's ridiculous.

You won't be allowed to take the A Level exam in the summer of your Lower Sixth Year and if you leave then, you will be leaving without A Levels and that is really bad news for your career.

Alright, well i will tell him and we just have to wait a bit longer but it okay because after that ill be with him forever
Well technically it is possible to learn the content in a year but only if you got like all 9s/A* in gcse or equivalent. But the logistics behind it would just be long for you and the teachers.plus it's just unnecessary - it's best not to ruin the chance at a scholarship

Quick Reply

Latest