The Student Room Group

GCSE grades too low for Oxford?

Hi, I’m interested in applying for PPE at Oxford. I currently study a level maths, English lit and history, predicted A*AA. My GCSE grades however, seem a little low for Oxford standards- they are: english lit-9, English language-9, history-9, biology-8, chemistry-7,physics-7,maths-7 and psychology-7. Do you think they will look too low against other applicants?
yes, these are low for ppe, probably below average. it's worth applying, but you should be ready for a rejection
Not too low, no. Remember that GCSE grades are contextualised, such that they consider your grades compared to other people from your school. Nonetheless, the number of A*/9/8s is below average and they do value GCSEs. This means you may need to perform better on other parts of the application - should you do this, it would account for any disadvantage those GCSEs pose.
Wow I didnt know grades would be considered to low. So what grades are considered sufficient then?
Original post by tej3141
Wow I didnt know grades would be considered to low. So what grades are considered sufficient then?

your grades are 4 A*s 4 As, considering you attended a low performing secondary school, for certain subjects with a less GCSE focused admissions process, you’d be fine! however, ppe is incredibly competitive and therefore focuses on the TSA score and your contextualised GCSE grades.
Original post by azby1098
your grades are 4 A*s 4 As, considering you attended a low performing secondary school, for certain subjects with a less GCSE focused admissions process, you’d be fine! however, ppe is incredibly competitive and therefore focuses on the TSA score and your contextualised GCSE grades.

Lucky I'm not applying for ppe then. But,from what you've said,I should be good
Original post by tej3141
Lucky I'm not applying for ppe then. But,from what you've said,I should be good

gcses are weighed up differently for each subject, Medicine having the strictest measures and PPE/Econ management being next
According to a recent Freedom of Information response, for PPE, the average number of A*s at GCSE is 8 (for those offered an interview) or 8.5 (for those offered a place). Between 24% and 38% of those interviewed had just 5 A*s. The link also describes the relative importance of different components of an application.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...2%202.pdf.html
Original post by OxFossil
According to a recent Freedom of Information response, for PPE, the average number of A*s at GCSE is 8 (for those offered an interview) or 8.5 (for those offered a place). Between 24% and 38% of those interviewed had just 5 A*s. The link also describes the relative importance of different components of an application.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...2%202.pdf.html

Damn. That's high. I've got sufficient grades but I never knew they were that strict
I thought oxford applicants have more than 10 gcse A*, no?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending