The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by J-t123
Hi there, last year I had a bank closed for absolutely no reason, apparently they didn’t have to tell me why they closed it. So my friend suggested that I contact CIFAS to send off a data subject access request, because a similar thing happened to him and they where advised on this. When I got the form it stated I had a ‘misuse of facility’. Now I’ve done my research and there is certain types of catergories I do believe. My form doesn’t say It’s been closed fraudulently etc and there isn’t a set category. Would this effect an application into the civil service? Especially the police? Would it come up in vetting etc. Any help would be great.

Hi, if they do credit checks and run fraud checks under CIFAS, then chances are you might not be able to get a job in the civil service. Many roles in finance, law, or the public sector do check with CIFAS. :dontknow:
Original post by LottieLot
Hi, if they do credit checks and run fraud checks under CIFAS, then chances are you might not be able to get a job in the civil service. Many roles in finance, law, or the public sector do check with CIFAS. :dontknow:

It doesn’t necessarily say that I’ve got a category though, it just says a misuse of facility
Reply 3
Original post by J-t123
It doesn’t necessarily say that I’ve got a category though, it just says a misuse of facility

You have a marker for the category "misuse of facility".
bruh what'd you do this time?
Original post by J-t123

Yeah you have a cat 6 marker - misuse of facility. Sorry :frown:
Original post by J-t123
Hi there, last year I had a bank closed for absolutely no reason, apparently they didn’t have to tell me why they closed it. So my friend suggested that I contact CIFAS to send off a data subject access request, because a similar thing happened to him and they where advised on this. When I got the form it stated I had a ‘misuse of facility’. Now I’ve done my research and there is certain types of catergories I do believe. My form doesn’t say It’s been closed fraudulently etc and there isn’t a set category. Would this effect an application into the civil service? Especially the police? Would it come up in vetting etc. Any help would be great.

It won't be possible to get a job in the police force; you did end up committing money laundering (unknowingly, but even so it's still illegal) - which is an offense that carries up to a maximum 14-year prison sentence. That's not me trying to scare you; it's true. How old are you? If you're still in school then I suggest that you focus on your A-Levels and wait until the 5/6 years are up on the CIFAS markers before you can apply for a bank account and go to university. Then you can gain the experience you want to get into the civil service. That's my suggestion, you don't have to do as I say. I'm only suggesting it because student finance require you to have a mainstream bank account that accepts their loans.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by J-t123

Misuse of facility is first party fraud. What did you do?
Would this still prevent the likes of getting into the armed services eg. Paras etc
Reply 9
Original post by J-t123
I am 21 year old just finished a policing degree. For those assuming I did something illegal, my ‘friend’ asked me to put money into my account, I accepted and he send around 5k, I stupidly withdrew it not knowing the consequence. Obviously it’s been a life dream to peruse the police but that’s now not going to happen for a few years. Like I say would it be possible to try the armed services for a few years to pass the time I know they do less checks and only look at a criminal record.

That was illegal. You were complicit in money laundering.
The thing about it is I was bribed into it without much choice, like I say I’m going to try and fight it but I doubt I will get far with it
I’m not sure admitting that you are susceptible to bribes is going to go down well with the police.

Unless you can get the bank that applied the marker to withdraw it, (unlikely), your only real option is to wait for it to expire and then apply afterwards.
Reply 12
Original post by J-t123
The thing about it is I was bribed into it without much choice, like I say I’m going to try and fight it but I doubt I will get far with it

You willingly allowed your facility to be misused. Not sure why you think you have recourse to fight anything?

You are by definition a criminal. It's fact.

Excuse my bluntness, but it's happened now. Deal with it and move on.
Original post by J-t123
Would this still prevent the likes of getting into the armed services eg. Paras etc

They might allow people with unspent convictions to join the forces (depending on the offence of course), provided that they are honest about it from the get-go, just like with any other job (thought that's not a 100% guarantee you'll get the job). If they found out about any offences then you might get prosecuted later down the line. Also, if you want to be paid, you'll need a bank account. Do you have a prepaid card/credit union?

I'm not sure whether they do checks with CIFAS though.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by LottieLot
They might allow people with unspent convictions to join the forces (depending on the offence of course), provided that they are honest about it from the get-go, just like with any other job (thought that's not a 100% guarantee you'll get the job). If they found out about any offences then you might get prosecuted later down the line. Also, if you want to be paid, you'll need a bank account. Do you have a prepaid card/credit union?

I'm not sure whether they do checks with CIFAS though.

I’ve got got any convictions or unspent convictions just a CIFAS marker. Thank you for your message
I have a current and basic account
Original post by IWMTom
You willingly allowed your facility to be misused. Not sure why you think you have recourse to fight anything?

You are by definition a criminal. It's fact.

Excuse my bluntness, but it's happened now. Deal with it and move on.

Alright pal
Original post by Admit-One
I’m not sure admitting that you are susceptible to bribes is going to go down well with the police.

Unless you can get the bank that applied the marker to withdraw it, (unlikely), your only real option is to wait for it to expire and then apply afterwards.

I’m just going to persue the armed services, thanks for your comment
Original post by Admit-One

Thank you for your comment
Don’t worry about not finding a job in the civil service. I had a CIFAS marker in 2017 for something I was innocent in and I was still able to secure a job at a Big 4 firm and now working in the civil service. Carry on as you are and soon the marker will be gone, I’m still waiting for my removal but it hasn’t ruined my life!

Latest

Trending

Trending