The Student Room Group

I’ve gotten two offer which I might accept but I’m usure

The first offer is from university of Essex and it’s biochemistry the other is an unconditional from anglia Ruskin university for medical science, I’m unsure which university would’ve be better suited for me, I’m interested in both subjects but can’t decide which one would be better

Scroll to see replies

Personally I don’t mind I wanted to do something go medical related, right now I don’t mind doing either but second year I want to change into medicine, I’ve got the grades but because my predicted grades were crap I couldn’t choose the subject, for first year both subjects teach cell related stuff and because I couldn’t join any webinar or any online meeting I basically don’t know anything about either uni
Reply 2
Original post by TheRealKing834
Personally I don’t mind I wanted to do something go medical related, right now I don’t mind doing either but second year I want to change into medicine, I’ve got the grades but because my predicted grades were crap I couldn’t choose the subject, for first year both subjects teach cell related stuff and because I couldn’t join any webinar or any online meeting I basically don’t know anything about either uni

Do you have your A Level grades? What did you get and in which subjects?

What do you have in the way of GCSEs?
Original post by Kerzen
Do you have your A Level grades? What did you get and in which subjects?

What do you have in the way of GCSEs?

A level I am guaranteed A, A and B and gcse I got basically everything over 6 but English where I got 4 and 5 cause it was my first year in Uk, I just got here from Italy
Reply 4
A level I am guaranteed A, A and B and gcse I got basically everything over 6 but English where I got 4 and 5 cause it was my first year in Uk, I just got here from Italy

A Levels in which subjects?
Right now I’m also applying in Italy cause there is only an entry test no such thing as predicted or final grades, to get into medicine there you need one test which is done in September and if you get over 36.8 I think you can do medicine, and the higher you get the more options you get for uni’s.
I also want to apply here just in case something goes wrong there, if I manage in Italy I won’t have to “waste” a year doing another subject; I was thinking about taking a gap year which seemed the best option but I don’t think I’ll be able to get back into a studying schedule after a year, which is why I was thinking doing a year in uni would be kind of an experience which could help me adapt better.
Also what does do you mean when you say you are limited to only one medical school? ( does it mean that you will only be able to apply to one uni for medicine and not 5 ?)
Thanks for the answers really appreciate it
Original post by Kerzen
A Levels in which subjects?

Bio Chem and business
The first offer is from university of Essex and it’s biochemistry the other is an unconditional from anglia Ruskin university for medical science, I’m unsure which university would’ve be better suited for me, I’m interested in both subjects but can’t decide which one would be better

avoid Essex like the plague. choose Anglia Ruskin.
Right now I’m also applying in Italy cause there is only an entry test no such thing as predicted or final grades, to get into medicine there you need one test which is done in September and if you get over 36.8 I think you can do medicine, and the higher you get the more options you get for uni’s.
I also want to apply here just in case something goes wrong there, if I manage in Italy I won’t have to “waste” a year doing another subject; I was thinking about taking a gap year which seemed the best option but I don’t think I’ll be able to get back into a studying schedule after a year, which is why I was thinking doing a year in uni would be kind of an experience which could help me adapt better.
Also what does do you mean when you say you are limited to only one medical school? ( does it mean that you will only be able to apply to one uni for medicine and not 5 ?)
Thanks for the answers really appreciate it

Hi, you are right that in Italy you only need an entrance exam but is not easy to enter. This exam is divided in 5 sections: general culture, logic, biology chemistry, and math and physics. To be consider to enter you have to do at least 20 but last year the lowest that got in was with a 40ish. Also the better you get the better uni you can go to. If you need more information feel free to PM me
Original post by XanaXoid
Hi, you are right that in Italy you only need an entrance exam but is not easy to enter. This exam is divided in 5 sections: general culture, logic, biology chemistry, and math and physics. To be consider to enter you have to do at least 20 but last year the lowest that got in was with a 40ish. Also the better you get the better uni you can go to. If you need more information feel free to PM me

Oh yeah I know cause my cousin is doing medicine there and my other cousin who is a year older is going for medicine as well, one of them at the moment is in Turin and he gave me couple of books from test buster and IMAT that he used, general knowledge is the only thing i need to do some research on but everything else should be fine
Oh yeah I know cause my cousin is doing medicine there and my other cousin who is a year older is going for medicine as well, one of them at the moment is in Turin and he gave me couple of books from test buster and IMAT that he used, general knowledge is the only thing i need to do some research on but everything else should be fine

Ok ok it was just to let you know that is not an easy exam, it's really possible to pass but you have to study. Yeah test buster is the best you can find. Also general knowledge is not that difficult, some of them are really impossible but most of them you can guess them right, if you can read in Italian there are quite a few examples of questions
Ok ok it was just to let you know that is not an easy exam, it's really possible to pass but you have to study. Yeah test buster is the best you can find. Also general knowledge is not that difficult, some of them are really impossible but most of them you can guess them right, if you can read in Italian there are quite a few examples of questions

Hi, thanks again for helping out again, I know Italian pretty well because I was born there and came in Uk 5 years ago (I’m 18 currently), I think I can speak Italian fluently only couple of complex words I might find hard to pronounce.
My cousin also told me that I can do the course in English as well in Italy in some universities over there, but if I have to do it in Italian there shouldn’t be any issues.
Thanks again
Hi, thanks again for helping out again, I know Italian pretty well because I was born there and came in Uk 5 years ago (I’m 18 currently), I think I can speak Italian fluently only couple of complex words I might find hard to pronounce.
My cousin also told me that I can do the course in English as well in Italy in some universities over there, but if I have to do it in Italian there shouldn’t be any issues.
Thanks again

Yeah some unis have courses in english it was just that you can find a lot of general knowledge question that are only in italian, that's why I asked what's your level. Like this one: https://www.studenti.it/test/test-medicina-2020-domande-di-ragionamento-logico-e-cultura-generale.html
These are real questions that were in the 2020 test, you can find them for the last 10 or so years
(edited 2 years ago)
Yeah some unis have courses in english it was just that you can find a lot of general knowledge question that are only in italian, that's why I asked what's your level. Like this one: https://www.studenti.it/test/test-medicina-2020-domande-di-ragionamento-logico-e-cultura-generale.html
These are real questions that were in the 2020 test, you can find them for the last 10 or so years

Hi, I just tried and I think I need to start knowing some random facts :colonhash:, how many right general knowledge answers would you need to get (if it’s in a separate section) or how much do people usually get right in general knowledge?
Thank you again.
I tried doing it and I understood basically everything, math related questions i got all right but I still got 7/22 ( so I need to work over it)
Hi, I just tried and I think I need to start knowing some random facts :colonhash:, how many right general knowledge answers would you need to get (if it’s in a separate section) or how much do people usually get right in general knowledge?
Thank you again.
I tried doing it and I understood basically everything, math related questions i got all right but I still got 7/22 ( so I need to work over it)

So if you can PM me all your questions would be perfect so I can ask to a friend, she is doing medicine i'm not, and when i have all the answers I can write back without having to search for this post again. Also feel free to write either in english or italian, the one that you feel the most comfortable!
Hi again, I just found out asked my cousin and he explained everything to me in details, all I gotta do is study the other topics and practice as much as possible, he said that general knowledge isn’t important it’s basically “luck based” (you can get questions about the Italian constitution, or something as random as a quote from a movie and tick the name of the actor who said it XD). There are 60 questions and I need to get over 40 which should be the minimum I should be aiming for, and without counting logic I can get up to 48 marks, and then for general knowledge write down stuff only if I know it, because you gain 1.5 for each question and lose 0.4 for each question I get wrong. (So the highest possible I could get without getting any logic question is 72 marks, which is what I should be aiming for)
I don’t know what PM means (or how I should send it through pm), also I don’t mind replying in either, I just find it comfortable to write back in the language someone wrote at me with (so if someone writes in Italian I will reply in Italian same with English, I’m just used to it now because I have grandparents who speak urdu, cousin who only speak Italian and others who just speak in English hehe)
Thanks again (if there is any problem/question about the course I will ask you if I don’t find an answer straight away thx again)

Ps: is your friend and Italian student or did he transfer to an Italian uni as a non EU student ?
Hi again, I just found out asked my cousin and he explained everything to me in details, all I gotta do is study the other topics and practice as much as possible, he said that general knowledge isn’t important it’s basically “luck based” (you can get questions about the Italian constitution, or something as random as a quote from a movie and tick the name of the actor who said it XD). There are 60 questions and I need to get over 40 which should be the minimum I should be aiming for, and without counting logic I can get up to 48 marks, and then for general knowledge write down stuff only if I know it, because you gain 1.5 for each question and lose 0.4 for each question I get wrong. (So the highest possible I could get without getting any logic question is 72 marks, which is what I should be aiming for)
I don’t know what PM means (or how I should send it through pm), also I don’t mind replying in either, I just find it comfortable to write back in the language someone wrote at me with (so if someone writes in Italian I will reply in Italian same with English, I’m just used to it now because I have grandparents who speak urdu, cousin who only speak Italian and others who just speak in English hehe)
Thanks again (if there is any problem/question about the course I will ask you if I don’t find an answer straight away thx again)

Ps: is your friend and Italian student or did he transfer to an Italian uni as a non EU student ?

Ok, so I asked and here what she said.
For general knowledge as you said is basically luck but she suggested learning the first 12 articles of the Italian constitution, they might be helpful. She scored 44ish points, and she got into Sassari so she waited until January and was able to enter at Ravenna, Ravenna is part of Bologna Uni just a different campus this is the first time they do medicine at Ravenna so she has the same professors as Bologna and they use the same facilities, so she was lucky to enter there with a low score considering that bologna is one of the best unis. She did really horrible in math but she got 15 from the biology section and 10 from chemistry (before doing this test she did 1 year of Biochemistry). From what she told me getting into Medicine in English requires lower points compared to the same uni but in Italian so you could have an advantage.
Also, let me add that you should check the requirement for international students and email each uni because they are not really clear, I tried to help a guy from the UK but the requirements are written in a horrible way and I couldn't really understand what they want.
PM, is a private message, I have just sent you one you should be able to see it if you click the icon with the letter symbol. It's just easier for me to keep writing to you so I can remove this thread from the watch-list so I don continue to receive emails.
PS: she is Italian and she had completed high school in Italy
Hi! I am giving the IMAT this year for either Milan, Bologna or Turin which I will decide later but that's not the point HAHA. Just wanted to ask for detailed advice on:
1. Where to find the proper syllabus
2. Books to use for the subjects
3. Where to practice IMAT questions/ past papers from.
You could also pm the answer to me!
Thanks in advance to whoever replies as it will be really helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending