The Student Room Group

Uni Help!

Hi guys!

Can I defer entry into one UK university but start at another university at another country for one year?

I don't think I'll be able to go to UK this year and I can start online uni at another country.
Original post by tiara1802
Hi guys!

Can I defer entry into one UK university but start at another university at another country for one year?

I don't think I'll be able to go to UK this year and I can start online uni at another country.

You can yes but it seems like a waste of money. You could be working and saving up instead for a year
Reply 2
Hi guys!

Do you have a firm place with a University in the UK for this autumn?
What for? One year at another Uni, where you wont 'settle', wont make friends, wont continue with the course, and it will make no difference to your eventual degree in the UK. Why bother?
Reply 4
Original post by Kerzen
Do you have a firm place with a University in the UK for this autumn?

yup I have firmed university of nottingham
Reply 5
Original post by McGinger
What for? One year at another Uni, where you wont 'settle', wont make friends, wont continue with the course, and it will make no difference to your eventual degree in the UK. Why bother?

True. But the reason is that I live in China and it is very hard to come back once you leave due to COVID regulations. This means that I would have to travel alone but I don't feel safe doing that.

My other uni is in Australia. Since their borders are closed, I was be doing it online.

I'm not sure if I will get my firm choice, but if I do I will defer them because I really want to go there but given the circumstances, I won't be able to this year. If I don't pay the deposit at my uni in Australia, I risk losing that place too. The deposit is very big in Australian unis, so I don't want to lose the deposit as well.

Who knows I might decline my firm later on and chose to continue with this uni.
Reply 6
yup I have firmed university of nottingham

Reading which subject?

I think that you should take up the place at Nottingham.
Reply 7
Original post by Kerzen
Reading which subject?

I think that you should take up the place at Nottingham.

Medical Physiology and Therapeutics.
It's just really hard to get there at the moment from where I am from.
Not sure if I'll meet the conditions either, they seem really high
Reply 8
Medical Physiology and Therapeutics.
It's just really hard to get there at the moment from where I am from.
Not sure if I'll meet the conditions either, they seem really high

I see.

Are you taking exams at the moment which will decide whether you can take up the Nottingham place?

I'm just wondering what the situation re accommodation is going to be for you.
Reply 9
Original post by Kerzen
I see.

Are you taking exams at the moment which will decide whether you can take up the Nottingham place?

I'm just wondering what the situation re accommodation is going to be for you.

Yup, I have taken Advance Placement exams. Their scores come out in July so I wouldn't know if I have gotten the place until then.

Do you know if I can request deferal after I have received scores, or should it be asap?
Reply 10
Yup, I have taken Advance Placement exams. Their scores come out in July so I wouldn't know if I have gotten the place until then.

Do you know if I can request deferal after I have received scores, or should it be asap?

I think that you are going to need to speak to Nottingham about this.

Have you booked accommodation?

I see no point in your registering with and paying another university just to be with it for a year, by the way.
(edited 2 years ago)

If you are certain, ask now. They’re more likely to be able to accommodate the change and you’ll get a quicker answer than waiting until results time when they will be very busy.

If you are not certain, wait. Swapping back from 2022 entry to 2021 might not be possible.
Reply 12
Original post by Kerzen
I think that you are going to need to speak to Nottingham about this.

Have you booked accommodation?

I see no point in your registering with and paying another university just to be with it for a year, by the way.

Nope I have not booked accommodation. Okie thanks!

Maybe if I end up liking that uni, I might as well stay there till the end. But for now it just doesn't seem reasonable for me to travel alone to the UK given the circumstances.
Reply 13
Nope I have not booked accommodation. Okie thanks!

Maybe if I end up liking that uni, I might as well stay there till the end. But for now it just doesn't seem reasonable for me to travel alone to the UK given the circumstances.

I don't understand why you wouldn't want to take up a place at Nottingham this year if you could, though.

I could understand if Covid restrictions did not allow flights from where you live to the UK, of course, but is that likely to be the case in the autumn?

Re my question about accommodation, one of the reasons it is important is that, if you book and don't move in, you may end up with problems re outstanding payments. The other problem is that, if you don't book, the University is unlikely to have somewhere for you to stay.

If you would like to take up your place, it would be advisable to speak to Nottingham. One of the main reasons I am suggesting this is because of the accommodation question. I don't know what provision has been made for students from outside the UK who may not be allowed to enter the UK because of ongoing restrictions resulting from the pandemic.

Something you should know is that Nottingham is a very good University and a place there is something to be valued.
Reply 14
Original post by Kerzen
I don't understand why you wouldn't want to take up a place at Nottingham this year if you could, though.

I could understand if Covid restrictions did not allow flights from where you live to the UK, of course, but is that likely to be the case in the autumn?

Re my question about accommodation, one of the reasons it is important is that, if you book and don't move in, you may end up with problems re outstanding payments. The other problem is that, if you don't book, the University is unlikely to have somewhere for you to stay.

If you would like to take up your place, it would be advisable to speak to Nottingham. One of the main reasons I am suggesting this is because of the accommodation question. I don't know what provision has been made for students from outside the UK who may not be allowed to enter the UK because of ongoing restrictions resulting from the pandemic.

Something you should know is that Nottingham is a very good University and a place there is something to be valued.

True and I really do want to go to Nottingham.

However, I have checked with the restrictions in my country and it will be held throughout the year. I may be able to leave but my parents aren't. Once you leave China, the visa to reside in China is automatically canceled. Considering I haven't ever been the Nottingham, it just feels scary alone.

I think there is about a month left in terms of accommodation deadline so I would know by then which uni I chose based on exam results. I have also already paid the deposit at my uni in Australia. The thing with Australia is that I can stay here and do my course online.

So now if I do end up meeting conditions and wanting to go there, my only option is to defer. I have emailed them requesting a defer. I hope it works out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending