The Student Room Group

2021 Autumn Exams and Re-application

I'm a Year 13 UK student and have recently completed my A-Levels. I applied to Cambridge for October 2021 entry but was rejected after being pooled. I intend to reapply for October 2022 entry, but have some worries about the results I'll receive in August.

I realise that not every College will have the same views, but broadly, how does Cambridge view re-applicants who have just met the minimum requirements for a course and wish to take the Autumn exams to improve their grades (and do not have extenuating circumstances)? I ask as I have read that re-applicants to Oxbridge typically have the highest grades they can achieve, and admissions tutors aren't too impressed by applicants who have 'retaken' exams or whole subjects w/o extenuating circumstances, even if they did not technically take exams in the first place due to the pandemic. Please do correct me if I am wrong!

Also, how would a College go about assessing my application until I have sent along the new results (i.e. deciding whether to give an interview due to the fact that results from the Autumn series are only sent in December)? Do I receive predicted grades?

Thank you! :smile:

@Peterhouse Admissions
Hi there! I don't think we would consider taking the autumn exams as 'resits' considering you never had the opportunity to sit them first time round. If you meet the typical offer for your course, it's quite likely you would be invited to interview, unless you have a pre-interview admissions assessment where your performance is quite weak. if you are called for interview, you should be prepared to answer why you have chosen to sit the exams. We would assess your application on the basis of the grades you're awarded this summer, unless you're given additional predicted grades before your autumn exams. i would think it's quite unlikely your school would do that, as we'd expect the grades they gave you in the summer to be what they realistically expect you would achieve if you were to sit the exam. Hope this helps!
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Hi there! I don't think we would consider taking the autumn exams as 'resits' considering you never had the opportunity to sit them first time round. If you meet the typical offer for your course, it's quite likely you would be invited to interview, unless you have a pre-interview admissions assessment where your performance is quite weak. if you are called for interview, you should be prepared to answer why you have chosen to sit the exams. We would assess your application on the basis of the grades you're awarded this summer, unless you're given additional predicted grades before your autumn exams. i would think it's quite unlikely your school would do that, as we'd expect the grades they gave you in the summer to be what they realistically expect you would achieve if you were to sit the exam. Hope this helps!

Thank you so much! I just wanted to also clarify how the Autumn series results would be used: as they are released in December during the interview cycle, would a College consider my updated grades when deciding on whether to give an offer after interview?
Original post by User46773324
Thank you so much! I just wanted to also clarify how the Autumn series results would be used: as they are released in December during the interview cycle, would a College consider my updated grades when deciding on whether to give an offer after interview?

Yes, if we have them before offers are made. If I remember correctly, this year we did not have official grades via UCAS before decisions went out and only had unofficial grades a matter of days before offers were sent. Your final grades alone are unlikely to materially change the outcome of your application, but will certainly be considered and may make a difference if you were close to being made an offer.
Reply 4
Yes, if we have them before offers are made. If I remember correctly, this year we did not have official grades via UCAS before decisions went out and only had unofficial grades a matter of days before offers were sent. Your final grades alone are unlikely to materially change the outcome of your application, but will certainly be considered and may make a difference if you were close to being made an offer.

Wait, when were decisions made in that case? I know my college was made aware of my updated results in December (the results came out the day after my interview)
Update: just read that you meant the confirmation via UCAS. Ignore me lmao
(edited 2 years ago)

@Peterhouse Admissions Is this a general policy across all colleges or specific to Peterhouse (attitude for sitting alevel in autumn)
Original post by Benben IPHO IPHO
@Peterhouse Admissions Is this a general policy across all colleges or specific to Peterhouse (attitude for sitting alevel in autumn)

I would be surprised to find any college who considers A Level exams taken in the autumn resits.
@Peterhouse Admissions I achieved 2a*2a in my a levels, however my A*s are in maths and further maths and my As are in chemistry and biology. Would college consider applicants who decide to "resit" exams and who haven't met the entry requirement initially (but apply with predicted grades instead)?

I would be surprised to find any college who considers A Level exams taken in the autumn resits.
Original post by ababab123
@Peterhouse Admissions I achieved 2a*2a in my a levels, however my A*s are in maths and further maths and my As are in chemistry and biology. Would college consider applicants who decide to "resit" exams and who haven't met the entry requirement initially (but apply with predicted grades instead)?

They will consider them, but how competitive such an applicant would be would somewhat depend on the course and what else is being asked of them (Admissions Assessments etc.) and how well they perform in those elements too.
They will consider them, but how competitive such an applicant would be would somewhat depend on the course and what else is being asked of them (Admissions Assessments etc.) and how well they perform in those elements too.

the course im referring to is medicine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending