The Student Room Group

Applying for student finance from abroad

Hi, I was born and raised in the UK for 10 years following which I moved abroad, and have applied to universities in the UK. I have two questions:

1) Will I be able to apply for student finance from abroad, since I dont have my national insurance number yet?

2) Since one of my choices has registered me as a 'home' student does that mean I am automatically entitled to student finance or does SFE carry out its own assessment of a student's fee status?

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by varunkamoji
Hi, I was born and raised in the UK for 10 years following which I moved abroad, and have applied to universities in the UK. I have two questions:

1) Will I be able to apply for student finance from abroad, since I dont have my national insurance number yet?

2) Since one of my choices has registered me as a 'home' student does that mean I am automatically entitled to student finance or does SFE carry out its own assessment of a student's fee status?

Thanks!

Hi there, in order to determine your eligibility, please confirm:

1. Which university and course you are looking to start your studies with?
2. How old you are.
3. Your nationality, current status and time spent within the UK.
4. Any previous study and qualifications you may hold.

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Thank you for the prompt reply.

1. UCL/Nottingham, not finalised the decision yet. I'm looking to study Economics.
2. 18 years old
3. British national, 11.5 years spent in the UK. Could you explain what you mean by current status?
4. ICSE (Indian Certificate of Secondary Education) this the GCSE equivalent. Overall score of 97.6.
Thank you for the prompt reply.

1. UCL/Nottingham, not finalised the decision yet. I'm looking to study Economics.
2. 18 years old
3. British national, 11.5 years spent in the UK. Could you explain what you mean by current status?
4. ICSE (Indian Certificate of Secondary Education) this the GCSE equivalent. Overall score of 97.6.

As a UK National you will be classed as a home student and can apply for full funding.

You should of applied for funding already. We advised new students to apply by the 21/05/2021 to receive funding on time.
After you have been approved, we will send your details to the Department for Work and Pensions and they will send you an application pack in the post to apply for a National Insurance Number.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 4
I tried to apply by that date but since I am still abroad I was unable to apply for my national insurance number. Will it still be possible for me to apply from abroad?

Also, by when must I apply after the start of my course so that I will be eligible for funding?

Thanks for your help
Varun
I tried to apply by that date but since I am still abroad I was unable to apply for my national insurance number. Will it still be possible for me to apply from abroad?

Also, by when must I apply after the start of my course so that I will be eligible for funding?

Thanks for your help
Varun

You don't need a National Insurance Number to apply. That is sorted afterwards.

You should apply ASAP. You have up until 9 months after the start of the academic year to apply.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 6
Ok, I'll get started. My UCL fee status is still undecided, so when it asks me whether I'll have to pay £9250 or a different tuition fee, what should I select?

Also, what implications does applying for student finance after the deadline have on how much money I will receive?

Many thanks,
Varun
Ok, I'll get started. My UCL fee status is still undecided, so when it asks me whether I'll have to pay £9250 or a different tuition fee, what should I select?

Also, what implications does applying for student finance after the deadline have on how much money I will receive?

Many thanks,
Varun

My UCL fee status is still undecided, so when it asks me whether I'll have to pay £9250 or a different tuition fee, what should I select?

We don't ask how much you will have to pay, just how much you want to borrow. As it's your decision on how much you want to borrow, I don't want to influence that decision as it is a loan that has to be paid back, so I think the decision must be your own.

If you apply for the maximum then it means we will pay what the university request, up to £9,250.

Your funding amount isn't affected.

You could be paid late if you apply late.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 8
Original post by SFE Isaac
My UCL fee status is still undecided, so when it asks me whether I'll have to pay £9250 or a different tuition fee, what should I select?

We don't ask how much you will have to pay, just how much you want to borrow. As it's your decision on how much you want to borrow, I don't want to influence that decision as it is a loan that has to be paid back, so I think the decision must be your own.

If you apply for the maximum then it means we will pay what the university request, up to £9,250.

Your funding amount isn't affected.

You could be paid late if you apply late.
Thanks, Isaac

Okay, so does means that I must pay the university first and then I'll be reimbursed by SFE?
Okay, so does means that I must pay the university first and then I'll be reimbursed by SFE?

No, if you choose to self fund we wouldn't refund you.
Thanks, Isaac
No, if you choose to self fund we wouldn't refund you.
Thanks, Isaac

Oh okay, so when you say I may be paid late does this mean the tuition and maintenance loan may be paid late or just the maintenance loan?
Oh okay, so when you say I may be paid late does this mean the tuition and maintenance loan may be paid late or just the maintenance loan?

If you apply late then all funding could be paid late, you should allow up to 6 weeks after applying to be assessed. If you apply after August then I'd advising allowing up to 8 weeks to be assessed.
Thanks, Isaac
Okay, thank you.
I'm encountering a problem when my parent clicks on the link to support my application. This is the error page I get.
What should I do?
Okay, thank you.
I'm encountering a problem when my parent clicks on the link to support my application. This is the error page I get.
What should I do?

Please try again on another browser or using chrome incognito mode with extensions disabled.

If that doesn't work then your parents can digitally complete the PFF2 form http://ow.ly/d/8pbp and upload this in your online account.
Thanks, Isaac
Please try again on another browser or using chrome incognito mode with extensions disabled.

If that doesn't work then your parents can digitally complete the PFF2 form http://ow.ly/d/8pbp and upload this in your online account.
Thanks, Isaac

Thank you for the link. I would like to complete the form electronically but it says my parent must sign the document with ink, not digitally? Will I need to print out the form and sign it or can I sign it electronically?
Also, where can I upload the document once completed?
Thanks, Varun
Thank you for the link. I would like to complete the form electronically but it says my parent must sign the document with ink, not digitally? Will I need to print out the form and sign it or can I sign it electronically?
Also, where can I upload the document once completed?
Thanks, Varun

We can accept the signature digitally despite the form saying it must be in ink.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Teb-DaFfDRc

Thanks, Isaac
We can accept the signature digitally despite the form saying it must be in ink.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Teb-DaFfDRc

Thanks, Isaac

Thanks for your response.
I have a few more queries:
1. Since I've applied late how should I go about communicating with my university that they'll likely be paid late?
2. Since I don't have a bank account in the UK I've given my dad's banking details. Is this okay and can I change it afterwards?
3. How long will it take for me to obtain my national insurance number once I've applied and could this further delay my funding?
Thank you for your help.
Thanks for your response.
I have a few more queries:
1. Since I've applied late how should I go about communicating with my university that they'll likely be paid late?
2. Since I don't have a bank account in the UK I've given my dad's banking details. Is this okay and can I change it afterwards?
3. How long will it take for me to obtain my national insurance number once I've applied and could this further delay my funding?
Thank you for your help.

Since I've applied late how should I go about communicating with my university that they'll likely be paid late?
When you enrol, you can explain this to them.

Since I don't have a bank account in the UK I've given my dad's banking details. Is this okay and can I change it afterwards?
Please don't do this or it will cause your funding to be blocked and delay your payments. The bank account must be in your name, if we find that it's not in your name then your funding will be blocked until we receive a bank statement to see who's account it is.

How long will it take for me to obtain my national insurance number once I've applied and could this further delay my funding?
I am unsure about this as the timescale is dependent on the DWP not ourselves.

Thanks, Isaac
Thanks for your reply.

I don't have a UK bank account at the moment and I've sent my application with my dad's banking details. Should I create an account for myself now and then change my details immediately?
Thanks for your reply.

I don't have a UK bank account at the moment and I've sent my application with my dad's banking details. Should I create an account for myself now and then change my details immediately?

You don't need a bank account to apply. Bank details can be submitted afterwards.

You should aim to submit bank details at least 5 working days before any payment is scheduled otherwise there will be no where to send the money to.

You should remove your dads bank details or this will end up causing your payments to be blocked and evidence will be requested.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending