The Student Room Group

Msc Psychology Conversion

Hello Everyone

I am currently considering a few universities for a psychology conversion course online because I work full time and it would be great to get some advice(please)

The universities in mind are Coventry, Northumbria, Derby & Nottingham*

Their courses are all accredited by the BPS and my goal is to become a counselling/clinical psychologist(strong preference for counselling psychologist)

However I just looked at the BPS website this morning and discovered they've accredited an Msc Psychology, Health & Wellbeing for the University of Wolverhampton (Excerpt: Accreditation - This programme is accredited for all intakes from 2021/2022. From the 2021/2022 intake this degree confers eligibility for the Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership. Structure - Conversion Course)

I am really interested in this, having read a bit of the course modules BUT their website hasn't been updated to reflect this information from the BPS

The fees are extremely affordable compared to the others listed above BUT I have a few concerns about university rankings(not sure it really matters if the course is accredited though).

It would be great to get some helpful suggestions with reference to psychology conversion courses online, university rankings and accreditation

Thanks
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

University rankings don't really matter all that much for a conversion course, these courses have to contain pretty much the same content to provide the same foundations for further study. Have you emailed Wolverhampton to enquire about the course?
Reply 2
Original post by bones-mccoy
University rankings don't really matter all that much for a conversion course, these courses have to contain pretty much the same content to provide the same foundations for further study. Have you emailed Wolverhampton to enquire about the course?

thanks for your response...

I did email wolverhampton and the enrolment advisor stated the course was accredited and their website will be updated shortly.
You are quite right with reference to the conversion course - most of the modules are pretty much the same with all the universities I have checked apart from 2 separate psychology conversion courses in the university of Edinburgh/Wolverhampton - Msc Psychology of Mental Health (conversion) both accredited by the BPS

Thanks again for taking the time to respond
Reply 3
Original post by cjayeula77
thanks for your response...

I did email wolverhampton and the enrolment advisor stated the course was accredited and their website will be updated shortly.
You are quite right with reference to the conversion course - most of the modules are pretty much the same with all the universities I have checked apart from 2 separate psychology conversion courses in the university of Edinburgh/Wolverhampton - Msc Psychology of Mental Health (conversion) both accredited by the BPS

Thanks again for taking the time to respond

Hi cjayeula77, I just wondered whether you ended up doing the MSc Psychology of Mental Health & Wellbeing at Wolverhampton? If so, how's it going?
I have been offered a place to start in November but was wondering the same as you about university rankings. Good to know it doesn't matter too much for a conversion.
Reply 4
Original post by Marni3
Hi cjayeula77, I just wondered whether you ended up doing the MSc Psychology of Mental Health & Wellbeing at Wolverhampton? If so, how's it going?
I have been offered a place to start in November but was wondering the same as you about university rankings. Good to know it doesn't matter too much for a conversion.

Hi Marni3 and cjayeula77, just wondering if either of you chose this course in the end? I have an offer with them to start in March and just wondering what you thought about it so far?
I am also starting the distance learning MSc Psychology with Wolverhampton starting in March 2022, I am from Singapore :smile:
Hello, I've actually just finished my MSc in Psychology and had a fantastic time. I'd like to recommend a book by Coolican called 'Research Methods and Statistics in Psychology'. It was very useful for the first two units and the dissertation

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Research-Methods-Statistics-Psychology-Coolican/dp/1138708968

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Reply 7
Original post by MatthewSG
I am also starting the distance learning MSc Psychology with Wolverhampton starting in March 2022, I am from Singapore :smile:

Oh hi Matthew. I’ve just accepted too but I chose the MSc in the Psychology of mental health and wellbeing option. Do you know if we’ll get a reading list soon, would like to order books! I live in Spain :smile: Did you choose to do full time or part time?
I am starting in March! Did you decide to accept? If so I would love to keep in touch!
Original post by MatthewSG

Oh my gosh me too, I am in Cambodia. I would love to get in touch!
Original post by Jenrhi
Oh hi Matthew. I’ve just accepted too but I chose the MSc in the Psychology of mental health and wellbeing option. Do you know if we’ll get a reading list soon, would like to order books! I live in Spain :smile: Did you choose to do full time or part time?

Hi Jenrhi, apparently reading lists are sent out this week, and module information is only released the day before. I am sure some of our modules must still be the same? I would like to keep in touch!
Original post by alex_davidson114
Hi Jenrhi, apparently reading lists are sent out this week, and module information is only released the day before. I am sure some of our modules must still be the same? I would like to keep in touch!

hi alex i have some questions regarding conversion degree mac psychology. please clarify it

1.what iss the difference btw msc psycho;ogy n conversion psychology?

2.is msc psychology superior than conversion when it comes to job oppurtunities?

3.how to become a clinical psychologist after conversion degrree?

4. whaT are the job openings after doing conversion msc psychology?
Hello Everyone

I am currently considering a few universities for a psychology conversion course online because I work full time and it would be great to get some advice(please)

Their courses are all accredited by the BPS and my goal is to become a counselling/clinical psychologist(strong preference for counselling psychologist)

However I just looked at the BPS website this morning and discovered they've accredited an Msc Psychology, Health & Wellbeing for the University of Wolverhampton (Excerpt: Accreditation - This programme is accredited for all intakes from 2021/2022. From the 2021/2022 intake this degree confers eligibility for the Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership. Structure - Conversion Course)

I am really interested in this, having read a bit of the course modules BUT their website hasn't been updated to reflect this information from the BPS

The fees are extremely affordable compared to the others listed above BUT I have a few concerns about university rankings(not sure it really matters if the course is accredited though).

It would be great to get some helpful suggestions with reference to psychology conversion courses online, university rankings and accreditation

Thanks

Hi,

I'm in a similar position to you. Did you manage to go ahead and choose the university you wanted? I'm looking at the following universities : Wolverhampton (online), Leeds Trinity (on campus), Edinburgh, and Northumbria. Just stuck on which ones would be the best to apply to :smile:
Reply 13
Hi Alex, yes I think we share all the same modules apart from 2. Still haven’t received the reading list and apparently the module info won’t appear on Canvas until the day we start. Are you studying part-time too? It would be great to keep in touch. I sometimes regret not choosing the Psychology route as I’m interested in the Positive Psychology module. One of my other modules includes positive psychology so Im assuming it’ll be similar content. I’m excited to start if a little nervous. It’s been a looooooong time since I was at uni.
Original post by Jenrhi
Hi Alex, yes I think we share all the same modules apart from 2. Still haven’t received the reading list and apparently the module info won’t appear on Canvas until the day we start. Are you studying part-time too? It would be great to keep in touch. I sometimes regret not choosing the Psychology route as I’m interested in the Positive Psychology module. One of my other modules includes positive psychology so Im assuming it’ll be similar content. I’m excited to start if a little nervous. It’s been a looooooong time since I was at uni.

I have signed up for full time, but I am working, so I'm worried the work load is going to be too much! Could we chat on FB messenger or WhatsApp? I don't know what's allowed on here!
Hi I start full time, am feeling a bit apprehensive. I am in the UK.
Reply 16
Hello Everyone

Thanks

I am in a similar position now. May I know which one you ended up with? How did you find it? Can you share a bit of your experience? It would be of great help to my struggling condition.
Reply 17
I just got an offer from Edinburgh - wahoo! I'm going to think about it as I was also accepted to Glasgow, but I'm pretty sure I'll be going to Edinburgh. Anyone else?
Hi I wanted to find out what everyone in this thread ended up doing?
I have applied for Cardiff MSc Psychology (conversion) and will hopefully start September 2022.
Please share your experiences so I can go in feeling prepared! It has been a long time since I've been new to a school/uni and I'm terrified and I'm relocating from London for the year

Please share how to get the best out of the course, how to get help when needed and overall anything to prepare beforehand :smile:
Thanks! - Aq
Reply 19
Original post by AqeelaC97
Hi I wanted to find out what everyone in this thread ended up doing?
I have applied for Cardiff MSc Psychology (conversion) and will hopefully start September 2022.
Please share your experiences so I can go in feeling prepared! It has been a long time since I've been new to a school/uni and I'm terrified and I'm relocating from London for the year

Please share how to get the best out of the course, how to get help when needed and overall anything to prepare beforehand :smile:
Thanks! - Aq

ditto! any advice greatly appreciated!

Quick Reply

Latest