The Student Room Group

How does justification by faith work?

I mean, the way people talk about it, it's like you don't have to do anything good to curry favor from God, since God bestows grace on you for free.

So, that kinda makes me think that justification by faith means that you simply need to ask God to endow you with grace to become virtuous and that God's commandments are simply ways to put your virtue into good use.

Did I get it correctly?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
yes, you are correct grace is free, at least in Christianity; you don't have to do anything to earn salvation except have faith :h:

Ephesians 2:8-9
'For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast.'

John 3:16
'For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.'
Original post by SlaveofAll
I mean, the way people talk about it, it's like you don't have to do anything good to curry favor from God, since God bestows grace on you for free.

So, that kinda makes me think that justification by faith means that you simply need to ask God to endow you with grace to become virtuous and that God's commandments are simply ways to put your virtue into good use.

Did I get it correctly?

Well as Catholics believe, people are naturally sinful. So humans 'currying favor' is basically us making up for being sinful. No person is completely free from the guilt of sin, unless we are talking about Mary.
In addition, God created us, and to be honest wants appreciation for giving us life and a chance to be with him heaven. He wants us to also treat everything he made with respect, because we were all made by him.
At least that's the Catholic viewpoint lol
Original post by Joleee
yes, you are correct grace is free, at least in Christianity; you don't have to do anything to earn salvation except have faith :h:

'For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast.'

'For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.'

Didn't Judas have faith that Jesus was the son of god? If eternal life is granted just by belief and not action I suppose Judas will will swanning around for eternity then.

Did I get it correctly?

I probably won't be quoting the bible because I'm lazy, and mostly what I know are psalms or old testament stories (lamentations is great)
Original post by chlamydia9000
Didn't Judas have faith that Jesus was the son of god? If eternal life is granted just by belief and not action I suppose Judas will will swanning around for eternity then.

Lmao I think supposedly it's supposed to be an equal balance of faith and works but idk for sure
Reply 6

no one knows the extent to Judas' faith; only God knows that. so quite possible Judas is in heaven despite his actions :h:
Reply 7
Original post by Coolnerdqueen
Well as Catholics believe, people are naturally sinful. So humans 'currying favor' is basically us making up for being sinful. No person is completely free from the guilt of sin, unless we are talking about Mary.
In addition, God created us, and to be honest wants appreciation for giving us life and a chance to be with him heaven. He wants us to also treat everything he made with respect, because we were all made by him.
At least that's the Catholic viewpoint lol

You're Catholic as I am?
Reply 8
Original post by Joleee

So basically, it means trusting God that God will endow you with grace to help you become good so that fulfilling God's commandments will be easier, yes?
Reply 9

Probably trust not merely belief
Reply 10
So basically, it means trusting God that God will endow you with grace to help you become good so that fulfilling God's commandments will be easier, yes?

yes :h: but i think you're confusing salvation with so-called 'being good'. it's not by works that you have salvation; look at the thief who died on the cross next to Jesus? what had he done to earn it?
You're Catholic as I am?

you're catholic?
Original post by Joleee
yes :h: but i think you're confusing salvation with so-called 'being good'. it's not by works that you have salvation; look at the thief who died on the cross next to Jesus? what had he done to earn it?

I never confused them. I never said works lead someone to salvation.
Original post by Coolnerdqueen
you're catholic?

I am.
I am.

eeeeeeeeyyyy budddaaaaayyyyyyyyyy
Reply 15
I never confused them. I never said works lead someone to salvation.

i'm confused then by your op. what's the question?
Original post by Joleee
i'm confused then by your op. what's the question?

I distinguished between a merit-based mode of salvation and justification by faith, which involves no merit. I asked whether the scenario in which God gives grace to someone who does nothing to earn it so that one will fulfill God's commandments easier describes the doctrine very well.
Reply 17
I distinguished between a merit-based mode of salvation and justification by faith, which involves no merit. I asked whether the scenario in which God gives grace to someone who does nothing to earn it so that one will fulfill God's commandments easier describes the doctrine very well.

you don't need to earn it as proven by scripture. cheers :h:
Original post by Joleee
you don't need to earn it as proven by scripture. cheers :h:

You have a point.
Reply 19

Did I get it correctly?

Yes, almost, it's not a tick-box one-off thing.
I mean you receive the "Spirit of grace" (Zechariah 12v10, Acts 2v4, 33) through faith, when you want nothing more.

Having received that grace you are a child of God but you still have free will to do what you want but now you have the opportunity to have a daily 2-way relationship with God, who's will for you is infinitely better than your will for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending