What is chewing gum made from?

Watch
nnth
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago

*rhetorical question*

Did you know that chewing gum is artificially-flavoured plastic?

Why?
The base layer of chewing gum is a synthetic rubber made out of plastic (polyvinyl acetate, or polyisobutylene), the same type which is used to make car tires. This means that, like all other plastics, chewing gum takes forever to break down. To be exact, minimum 500 years (meaning you can’t compost it).

Fortunately, chewing gum does travel relatively smoothly through your digestive system. I.e., if you accidently swallow it, it won’t remain in the pit of your stomach for the rest of your life. However, if you swallow too many gums in one session it could lead to diarrhoea and bloating.

The most extreme example of eating gum were these 4-year-olds in America who ate too much. They had to have surgery to remove the sticky plastic balls that had formed at the pits of their stomachs.

Artificial?
It’s artificially-flavoured because it's classed as "sugar free". The chewing gum which the popular brands produce, including: Wrigley’s Extra, Airwaves, Orbit, and Hubba Bubba, all do this. A frequent example of the sugar alternative is aspartame, with the possible health risk being an increased risk of (breast or testicular) cancer.

What can you do?
Some suggestions for dealing with this micro-plastic issue are:
  • Buying natural chewing gum from brands like Chewsy, Simply Gum, and Georganics
  • Stop chewing gum

All of this info that I've found out has been through online articles from these websites:
6 Disturbing Side Effects of Chewing Gum - organic.org
Butene - Wikipedia
Chewing Gum – 100,000 tonnes of Plastic Pollution every year – Just One Ocean
Chewing Gum Ingredients (chewinggumfacts.com)
Chewing Gum: Good or Bad? (healthline.com)
Does chewing gum have plastic in it? - The Future is Plastic Free
Environmental Impact of Chewing Gum: Everything you Need to Know (get-green-now.com)
Glycerol - Wikipedia
Here's What Happens If You Chew Too Much Gum (buzzfeed.com)
Polybutene - Wikipedia
Polyvinyl acetate - Wikipedia
The Truth About Aspartame Side Effects (healthline.com)
What is chewing gum made of? - BBC Science Focus Magazine
What Is in Chewing Gum? - Ingredients Then & Now (thoughtco.com)
The Harmful Effects of Plastic - CNM College of Naturopathic Medicine (naturopathy-uk.com)
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
it is produced by marine plankton in areas such as Turkey. local fishermen scoop it up and take it home for processing.

here is one of them

Name:  ssnot.png
Views: 15
Size:  319.3 KB
username5769209
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by the bear)
it is produced by marine plankton in areas such as Turkey. local fishermen scoop it up and take it home for processing.

here is one of them

Name:  ssnot.png
Views: 15
Size:  319.3 KB
*crying laughing emoji*
nnth
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Coolnerdqueen)
*crying laughing emoji*
what, these ones?😂🤣
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I was under the impression it was basically a synthetically made variant of tree-sap, some questionable chemical additives and sugar.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
this year's harvest is so abundant that they use divers to harvest it

Name:  ssnoot.png
Views: 8
Size:  263.4 KB
MysticImogen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by nnth)

*rhetorical question*

Did you know that chewing gum is artificially-flavoured plastic?

Why?
The base layer of chewing gum is a synthetic rubber made out of plastic (polyvinyl acetate, or polyisobutylene), the same type which is used to make car tires. This means that, like all other plastics, chewing gum takes forever to break down. To be exact, minimum 500 years (meaning you can’t compost it).

Fortunately, chewing gum does travel relatively smoothly through your digestive system. I.e., if you accidently swallow it, it won’t remain in the pit of your stomach for the rest of your life. However, if you swallow too many gums in one session it could lead to diarrhoea and bloating.

The most extreme example of eating gum were these 4-year-olds in America who ate too much. They had to have surgery to remove the sticky plastic balls that had formed at the pits of their stomachs.

Artificial?
It’s artificially-flavoured because it's classed as "sugar free". The chewing gum which the popular brands produce, including: Wrigley’s Extra, Airwaves, Orbit, and Hubba Bubba, all do this. A frequent example of the sugar alternative is aspartame, with the possible health risk being an increased risk of (breast or testicular) cancer.

What can you do?
Some suggestions for dealing with this micro-plastic issue are:
  • Buying natural chewing gum from brands like Chewsy, Simply Gum, and Georganics
  • Stop chewing gum

All of this info that I've found out has been through online articles from these websites:
6 Disturbing Side Effects of Chewing Gum - organic.org
Butene - Wikipedia
Chewing Gum – 100,000 tonnes of Plastic Pollution every year – Just One Ocean
Chewing Gum Ingredients (chewinggumfacts.com)
Chewing Gum: Good or Bad? (healthline.com)
Does chewing gum have plastic in it? - The Future is Plastic Free
Environmental Impact of Chewing Gum: Everything you Need to Know (get-green-now.com)
Glycerol - Wikipedia
Here's What Happens If You Chew Too Much Gum (buzzfeed.com)
Polybutene - Wikipedia
Polyvinyl acetate - Wikipedia
The Truth About Aspartame Side Effects (healthline.com)
What is chewing gum made of? - BBC Science Focus Magazine
What Is in Chewing Gum? - Ingredients Then & Now (thoughtco.com)
The Harmful Effects of Plastic - CNM College of Naturopathic Medicine (naturopathy-uk.com)
Your right! But you can also make chewing gum out of tree sap, its just to expensive for mass production!
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MysticImogen)
Your right! But you can also make chewing gum out of tree sap, its just to expensive for mass production!
Or you could just chew tree sap
username5173262
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I thought it was tree sap too... I was so gassed when I saw the poll I thought I was going to ace it.. then I scrolled down a bit...

Anyway, this is why I'm a mint guy - they're just better than gum. Specifically the black Halls
username5769209
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by nnth)
what, these ones?😂🤣
yess
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It is like rubber. The longer I am chewing, the worse the taste of the gum. Gross! :yum::pinch:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (43)
5.83%
Uncertainty around my education (84)
11.4%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (79)
10.72%
Lack of purpose or motivation (94)
12.75%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (39)
5.29%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (41)
5.56%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (79)
10.72%
Financial worries (50)
6.78%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (32)
4.34%
Exposure to negative news/social media (45)
6.11%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.26%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (70)
9.5%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (57)
7.73%

Watched Threads