The Student Room Group

Just applied for DSA - what happens next?

Hi,
I have just put in my application for DSA for EDS, POTS, Chronic pain, Insomnia and depression. Am I likely to be awarded anything and if so what kinds of things could I expect? I am doing the course via distance learning and already have a laptop but I am wondering if they could fund something lighter weight like an Ipad or Surface pro? That way on bad days I could study from bed without having to lug the laptop around. I've seen people mention they also get some mental health support - I think this could be really useful when I am having a bad time mentally. Is this something that is likely to be offered? I am going to have my hands full as I am also a full time carer to 2 autistic kids so anything at all that takes the pressure off somewhere would be amazing!

Now my forms are in how long is it likely to take for them to decide if I need some sort of assessment? If they agree I do how does that work?

Sorry for all the questions. Last time I studied I was younger and healthier so this is all a bit new.

Thanks
Original post by piggycollector
Hi,
I have just put in my application for DSA for EDS, POTS, Chronic pain, Insomnia and depression. Am I likely to be awarded anything and if so what kinds of things could I expect? I am doing the course via distance learning and already have a laptop but I am wondering if they could fund something lighter weight like an Ipad or Surface pro? That way on bad days I could study from bed without having to lug the laptop around. I've seen people mention they also get some mental health support - I think this could be really useful when I am having a bad time mentally. Is this something that is likely to be offered? I am going to have my hands full as I am also a full time carer to 2 autistic kids so anything at all that takes the pressure off somewhere would be amazing!

Now my forms are in how long is it likely to take for them to decide if I need some sort of assessment? If they agree I do how does that work?

Sorry for all the questions. Last time I studied I was younger and healthier so this is all a bit new.

Thanks

Hey so I’ve applied for DSA, from what I’ve gathered they won’t fund anything more than the bare minimum and even then you have to contribute- £200 for a basic laptop (you have the option to upgrade but you have to fund all that yourself including the added cost of insurance etc). So the likelihood of you getting an iPad or surface pro is slim to none. In their eyes a laptop will do the same job as an iPad etc
The most I have seen offered for mental health support is like 60hours a year with a support worker which is definitely better than nothing!
Once my forms were submitted I had to wait a week to find out if I was eligible then I arranged a needs assessment which is literally just a chat with someone so they can work out what would help you. That person then writes a report and sends it off to try and get you the support they have deemed necessary (that’s the bit I’m up to). X
Thanks that is helpful. So like everything minimal support then 😂🙄 will be interesting to see what’s offered.

Do I also ask the uni for general course support or is that something dsa will advise them on?
Thanks that is helpful. So like everything minimal support then 😂🙄 will be interesting to see what’s offered.

Do I also ask the uni for general course support or is that something dsa will advise them on?

Yeah unfortunately the support from DSA Is getting worse and worse as time goes on! The assessment costs the DSA £700 it’s completely insane as it’s a one hour phone call and then they just have to write stuff up for you… it could easily be done by the uni for much cheaper and then the rest of the money could be used for support but as usual it’s outsourced to a private company who charge a fortune 🤦🏼*♀️

So you can ask the uni however the DSA also identify ways the uni can offer you support and put that in the report aswell. You can then give consent for your DSA report to be sent to your chosen uni so they can read it properly, however it’s always worth contacting the disability support at the uni separately so they can have a chat with you about where they may be able to help!
Original post by Vetofferholder1
Hey so I’ve applied for DSA, from what I’ve gathered they won’t fund anything more than the bare minimum and even then you have to contribute- £200 for a basic laptop (you have the option to upgrade but you have to fund all that yourself including the added cost of insurance etc). So the likelihood of you getting an iPad or surface pro is slim to none. In their eyes a laptop will do the same job as an iPad etc
The most I have seen offered for mental health support is like 60hours a year with a support worker which is definitely better than nothing!
Once my forms were submitted I had to wait a week to find out if I was eligible then I arranged a needs assessment which is literally just a chat with someone so they can work out what would help you. That person then writes a report and sends it off to try and get you the support they have deemed necessary (that’s the bit I’m up to). X

It depends on the assessor, for only IBS I’ve been given around £1700 worth of equipment even though my symptoms are very rare.
Original post by kitkatsnickers
It depends on the assessor, for only IBS I’ve been given around £1700 worth of equipment even though my symptoms are very rare.

Can I ask what the equipment was? And are you in England as I know Wales, Scotland and NI are slightly different
What kinds of equipment have they funded?

Original post by Vetofferholder1
Can I ask what the equipment was? And are you in England as I know Wales, Scotland and NI are slightly different

Sure, I was given a really good desk chair, electronic desk, laptop stand for bed and a bed backrest. I also have ADHD and anxiety which I was given 60 hours study skills, 60 hours mental health support, software, headphones and a printer. I was also given a £200 allowance for printer ink and also was reimbursed for laptop insurance.
What kinds of equipment have they funded?

I was given a really good desk chair, electronic desk, laptop stand for bed and a bed backrest. I also have ADHD and anxiety which I was given 60 hours study skills, 60 hours mental health support, software, headphones and a printer. I was also given a £200 allowance for printer ink and also was reimbursed for laptop insurance.
I was given a really good desk chair, electronic desk, laptop stand for bed and a bed backrest. I also have ADHD and anxiety which I was given 60 hours study skills, 60 hours mental health support, software, headphones and a printer. I was also given a £200 allowance for printer ink and also was reimbursed for laptop insurance.

Wow that’s amazing and would make a huge difference! I really hope I get a nice accessor
Sure, I was given a really good desk chair, electronic desk, laptop stand for bed and a bed backrest. I also have ADHD and anxiety which I was given 60 hours study skills, 60 hours mental health support, software, headphones and a printer. I was also given a £200 allowance for printer ink and also was reimbursed for laptop insurance.

Oh wow that’s good! I have a medical condition which means I can sometimes get hospitalised but like you it’s not the most common thing.. they are trying to get me headphones and a microphone, the software and training for that software and then the laptop which comes with insurance and warranty etc. It’s not too bad considering if I’m honest :smile:
Reply 11

Hi - does this mean they paid for insurance of your current laptop as they didnt need to give you one?.

Quick Reply

Latest