The Student Room Group

Can a Level 3 Btec in Mechanical engineering lead to employment

So I want to get a job as a Mechanical engineer and I've noticed a few job ads for mechanical engineers that only require you to have a level 3 btec in engineering. When I searched for this course on the website of my nearest college it said its a 2 years course part time.

Can someone confirm if this is right? 2 years part time course to get a job in mechanical engineer. it seems too good to be true as its my dream job which is why I'm asking.

Note: I have not done any previous courses related to engineering and have no expereince, however I know Engineering in something I want to get into. I want to get an engineering job in factories fixing machinery.
I’m a mechanical engineer. I’ve studied mechanical engineering at all levels up to level 6 and worked in the equivalent level roles.
It really depends on what type of mechanical engineering you want to do.

If it’s fixing machinery, a level 2 or 3 maintenance apprenticeship might be what you’re looking for.
This could be purely mechanical (including hydraulics and pneumatics), or a combination of both electrical and mechanical.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Chris2892
I’m a mechanical engineer. I’ve studied mechanical engineering at all levels up to level 6 and worked in the equivalent level roles.
It really depends on what type of mechanical engineering you want to do.

If it’s fixing machinery, a level 2 or 3 maintenance apprenticeship might be what you’re looking for.
This could be purely mechanical (including hydraulics and pneumatics), or a combination of both electrical and mechanical.

I am an international student from India currently holding an offer letter from University of Liverpool for BEng in Mechanical Engineering this September intake. I believe the uni offers a pretty good course degree standing at 20-25 in rankings for Mechanical Engineering.
I just read u are a mechanical engineer and I would just like to know about the opportunities available for a mechanical engineer in the UK. Being an international student, my desire is to attain a PR after being sponsored by a recognized company for 5 years.
I love math and physics and I think I would be able to handle the course well. If I am a well qualified engineer willing to put in the work, I would be able to land a job right? I do have a 2 year post study work visa during which I can try to find a sponsor.
Any reply would be extremely important in helping me make the decision. I would love to know about my opportunities, and also whether companies prefer EU residents over international applicants.
Original post by ashish.145
I am an international student from India currently holding an offer letter from University of Liverpool for BEng in Mechanical Engineering this September intake. I believe the uni offers a pretty good course degree standing at 20-25 in rankings for Mechanical Engineering.
I just read u are a mechanical engineer and I would just like to know about the opportunities available for a mechanical engineer in the UK. Being an international student, my desire is to attain a PR after being sponsored by a recognized company for 5 years.
I love math and physics and I think I would be able to handle the course well. If I am a well qualified engineer willing to put in the work, I would be able to land a job right? I do have a 2 year post study work visa during which I can try to find a sponsor.
Any reply would be extremely important in helping me make the decision. I would love to know about my opportunities, and also whether companies prefer EU residents over international applicantsover h

If you’re legally allowed and able to work in the U.K., there shouldn’t be any bias to whether you’re from the EU, the U.K., or anywhere in the world.

If you want a good graduate role position in industry after your BEng, you need to evidence meaningful and relevant experience and exposure beyond your typical academic studies.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by DarkSoulz
So I want to get a job as a Mechanical engineer and I've noticed a few job ads for mechanical engineers that only require you to have a level 3 btec in engineering. When I searched for this course on the website of my nearest college it said its a 2 years course part time.

Can someone confirm if this is right? 2 years part time course to get a job in mechanical engineer. it seems too good to be true as its my dream job which is why I'm asking.

Note: I have not done any previous courses related to engineering and have no expereince, however I know Engineering in something I want to get into. I want to get an engineering job in factories fixing machinery.

The thing is, in the UK you don't need a degree to work as an engineer.

However, the chances of a company employing a person with a level 3 qualification and no experience as an engineer are slim. You would much more likely end up a technician, doing some simple maintaince tasks etc.

The best way to get into engineering in the UK is apprenticeships. You actually get to work as an engineer, whilst also working for a qualification up to level 7 (masters). Although, most apprenticeships you will come across will be level 3-6.

So is it possible to work as an engineer after a level 3 BTEC? Yes. Is it legal? Also yes.
Is it likely a company will employ you as an engineer straight out of college? Very unlikely. Possible, but extremely unlikely.

Now onto your questions about BTECs in general. A BTEC level 3 extended diploma is 2 years long full time. This is equivalent to 3 A-levels. However, "full time" by definition is 12 hours or more per week. When I did my BTEC, we had exactly 12 hours per week. Meaning that we barely spent any time at college at all, especially since a lot of people didn't show up to some of the lectures.

After a year you can get a BTEC 90-credit diploma, and in 2 years time you can get a diploma or an extended diploma.

So I would be wary about seeing "part time" and "2 years" together when it comes to BTECs becaus it might mean it's a 90-credit diploma (half of an extended one).

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending