The Student Room Group

I like the concept of psychology but I hate essay writing

So I do a level maths, physics and biology. Mainly because I'm naturally good at the subjects and I like the fact that there is only one answer. My brains like binary, it's either true or false. For a while I've always been interested in the human psyche and the way we think and behave. However, I find it really difficult to write essays. Most often my brain works as if there's only one answer. If psychology exams were like biology, I would definitely choose it. Do you think I should study/become a psychologist despite my terrible essay skills?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
I do a level biology, maths and physics. I currently find it very difficult to write essays, but I'm interested in the human psyche.
Psychology is a lot of essays. You have 3 science-based subjects which is good, but you have to decide whether it's something you want to do!
yes you’ll be able to do psychology with those a levels, technically. but it will be very essay-based and i suggest looking at psychology courses in more detail to see if the topics interest you, as interest in the “human psyche” may not be enough to actually motivate you to get through a whole degree.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Azimbrook1
So I do a level maths, physics and biology. Mainly because I'm naturally good at the subjects and I like the fact that there is only one answer. My brains like binary, it's either true or false. For a while I've always been interested in the human psyche and the way we think and behave. However, I find it really difficult to write essays. Most often my brain works as if there's only one answer. If psychology exams were like biology, I would definitely choose it. Do you think I should study/become a psychologist despite my terrible essay skills?

Hey!

The great thing about a skill is that there will always be room to improve - no one is born with the ability to do everything perfectly! Try not to let your current essay skills stop you from doing what you enjoy. It might be worth speaking to a teacher to see what they suggest.

When I studied Psychology at A-Level I wasn't too great at the essay/long answer questions, so I got a tutor to help me. She helped me focus on structuring my essays so naturally writing them became easier, so there is definitely hope for you!

There are also loads of resources online too which can give you tips for essay writing.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Mia:biggrin:
To give you some reassurance too, psychology at university is quite different. Yes, there are still essays, but there are also a number of other forms of assessment, like lab reports, presentations, stats exams and multiple choice exams. You may find that the more individualised support will also improve your essay writing, it certainly did for me!

In some areas of psychology there is only one answer (that we know of), like statistics, neuro-biology, anatomy etc...
Original post by Azimbrook1

Hi :smile:

It's great to hear that you're interested in Psychology. Studying Psychology myself both at A level and University, I must say there is alot of essay writing. However, the university and teachers at school, always gave me advice onto how to better my essays. I would suggest seeing if you could get a tutor to help you with essay writing, or even research resources online. Youtube videos may be helpful for example! I think you should study at subject that you really enjoy, essay skills are something that you will learn and come to correct as you get used to writing essays. I wouldn't worry too much about it as there's so many resources and teaching staff at university or in school to help you :smile:

Becca (2nd Year Psychology Student)
Psychology could do with more students with think like proper scientists and try to sift the true from the false. It's true that you will have to write essays in psychology, but it's false to think that there isn't a right answer in an essay. Good psychology students (and good psychologists) are those who can point out what is wrong.
Original post by chazwomaq
Psychology could do with more students with think like proper scientists and try to sift the true from the false. It's true that you will have to write essays in psychology, but it's false to think that there isn't a right answer in an essay. Good psychology students (and good psychologists) are those who can point out what is wrong.

I have to disagree whole heartedly with you. As a professional in psychology, I don't know a single fellow mental health professional who would believe that there is only one right or wrong answer. I would even say those who believe there is always a right answer are often the most inexperienced.

You can be a scientist and still be comfortable with multiple options and avenues, and psychology is very ever simply a right or wrong. The skill Is in the interpretation and the ability to think beyond the binary whilst backing it up with evidence. You can still be wrong but there is no universal and constant right, the same with nearly every other science.

Greg
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 9
Just remember you can do a lot of studying psychology with good resources on your own, at home, without getting an a-level.
Original post by greg tony
I have to disagree whole heartedly with you. As a professional in psychology, I don't know a single fellow mental health professional who would believe that there is only one right or wrong answer. I would even say those who believe there is always a right answer are often the most inexperienced.

You can be a scientist and still be comfortable with multiple options and avenues, and psychology is very ever simply a right or wrong. The skill Is in the interpretation and the ability to think beyond the binary whilst backing it up with evidence. You can still be wrong but there is no universal and constant right, the same with nearly every other science.

Greg

I was thinking more about scientific psychology rather than mental health. I never claimed there was a universal and constant right, but science progresses when people falsify theories. Psychology is full of theories that can and should be falsified.
How?
Original post by kolme
Just remember you can do a lot of studying psychology with good resources on your own, at home, without getting an a-level.

How?
Reply 13
Original post by Mahek Chowdhury
How?

Youtube for example. I don't mean vloggers or podcasts, but actual genuine universities (Stanford, Yale) providing videos of psychology lectures for free. Read books written by people who developed the backbone of today's teachings on psychology (Freud, Piaget), or even buy an a-level revision guide for psychology and learn from it without having actual lessons.
If it's something that you find interesting, you should've already begun your research on the topic by yourself, really. Try google.
You say your brain is like binary - something is either true or false.

I'm a psychology graduate, and I want to make something very clear: writing psychology essays is not at all like deriving a proof or making a calculation as in mathematics or physics. Psychology is not binary. It is fuzzy (as in "fuzzy logic"), or as some may say, "wishy-washy". Essays are interpretations: they vary depending on what you read, how much you read, and how you think. And it's generally tricky to determine (unless you are doing serious academic work with serious academics) what your interpretations are worth truth-wise.

There is more to picking a degree than what you are "interested" in. If you are "interested" in psychology, then treat it like a hobby. If you are interested in psychology and you seek a career in psychology, then consider doing a degree.

Quick Reply

Latest