The Student Room Group

Teachers of TSR: If I went from B's/C's/D's in my subjects to A's / A*s....

Teachers of TSR: If I went from B's/C's/D's in my subjects to A's / A*s in my March and May exams (my only two exams after lockdown 3.0), whats the chances that I will receive an A* or an A on my A Level results day? Of course the answer may be subjective depending on the student and various other circumstances but can someone give a rough guestimate please assuming all of that students grades prior to lockdown were two or three grades lower than an A? Thank you!
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by medicalmentality
Teachers of TSR: If I went from B's/C's/D's in my subjects to A's / A*s in my March and May exams (my only two exams after lockdown 3.0), whats the chances that I will receive an A* or an A on my A Level results day? Of course the answer may be subjective depending on the student and various other circumstances but can someone give a rough guestimate please assuming all of that students grades prior to lockdown were two or three grades lower than an A? Thank you!

Hey! I’m not a teacher, but I would say that you are guaranteed an A, as you have improved a lot. The A* really depends on how many other students in your class got similar grades and whether they are more consistent. Well done though, that’s a amazing achievement!
Original post by Mentor05
Hey! I’m not a teacher, but I would say that you are guaranteed an A, as you have improved a lot. The A* really depends on how many other students in your class got similar grades and whether they are more consistent. Well done though, that’s a amazing achievement!

thank you :smile:

I feel like you will get an A at minimum imo as u have shown progress through ur March and May mocks. I ain't no teacher but u could get A* but its obviously dependent on how many students in the class are also at the A/A* grade in those mocks and if they have been consistent in getting those grades in previous assessments.
Original post by CurryCurry2468
I feel like you will get an A at minimum imo as u have shown progress through ur March and May mocks. I ain't no teacher but u could get A* but its obviously dependent on how many students in the class are also at the A/A* grade in those mocks and if they have been consistent in getting those grades in previous assessments.

thank you, fingers crossed :smile: good luck if you have results day too
thank you, fingers crossed :smile: good luck if you have results day too

Yeah I am receiving results as well this year, good luck to you too.
Hi
In my mocks I got CCDD, biology maths chemistry physics had my provisional grades of AAAB. I constantly did past papers
Original post by Lejohn0508
Hi
In my mocks I got CCDD, biology maths chemistry physics had my provisional grades of AAAB. I constantly did past papers

hi what do u mean by provisional grades? are these the grades teachers told you they are going to give you?

No, I wouldn't give you that - this is not a basket of evidence - B is more likely

Haven't your teachers told you the evidence they are using?
Original post by Muttley79
No, I wouldn't give you that - this is not a basket of evidence - B is more likely

Haven't your teachers told you the evidence they are using?

nope there is no clarity, they always just say it depends on the student and that the evidence they use is subjective and different for each student, but i assume our march and may mocks will play a big role. but i did see on the government guidance that more recent evidence is more representative of a students progress so surely i should be getting an A at least?
nope there is no clarity, they always just say it depends on the student and that the evidence they use is subjective and different for each student, but i assume our march and may mocks will play a big role. but i did see on the government guidance that more recent evidence is more representative of a students progress so surely i should be getting an A at least?

Yes but it should be consistent and you grades aren't.

If it helps, my school provided us with the initial scope of evidence that they will be using snd for maths, they are only considering the two full sets of mocks we did last term as part of the evidence base.

They only said they will use evidence from earlier on in the course if you missed an assessment last term.

And we ain't been doing assessments throughout yest 13, only mock we done prior to the ones done last term was in January but they was done remotely and we had to skip questions cuz we had not covered alm the content yet and so it was not representative of our ability.

I am aware other schools have been continually assessing their students throughout the year so they have a wider range of evidence in their 'basket' but not all schools have been continually assessing students so they are only using most recent evidence
Yes but it should be consistent and you grades aren't.

learning curves arent meant to be consistent tho? its not a linear gradient
(edited 2 years ago)
learning curves arent meant to be consistent tho? its not a linear gradient

You asked for a teacher's opinion - I've given mine - all your recent work should be at A grade - classwork etc - not just tests.
Reply 14

Ive been wondering the same kind of thing!! The fact they’re ‘taking all assessments into consideration’ is good for some people but I’d rather they ignore all my earlier tests with B/C and focus just on the recent A’s 😅 Don’t want the lower grades to bring it down despite the progress!! Good luck, hopefully we’ll be getting our A’s!!!!
Original post by ..M..
Ive been wondering the same kind of thing!! The fact they’re ‘taking all assessments into consideration’ is good for some people but I’d rather they ignore all my earlier tests with B/C and focus just on the recent A’s 😅 Don’t want the lower grades to bring it down despite the progress!! Good luck, hopefully we’ll be getting our A’s!!!!

Majority of subjects in my school are only using assessments we did last term as they are more recent and are a proper representation of our current ability.
Majority of subjects in my school are only using assessments we did last term as they are more recent and are a proper representation of our current ability.

Yes but those grades need to be seen in classwork, answering questions, everything - not just tests.
Yes but those grades need to be seen in classwork, answering questions, everything - not just tests.

But for maths, they dont even look at our classwork. I cannot remember the last time, any of my maths teachers actually looked at any of our classwork and gave feedback.
But for maths, they dont even look at our classwork. I cannot remember the last time, any of my maths teachers actually looked at any of our classwork and gave feedback.

Surely your teacher asks questions and speaks to you? even if the books are taken in they will 'see' how you are getting on - it will NOT be just mocks.
Surely your teacher asks questions and speaks to you? even if the books are taken in they will 'see' how you are getting on - it will NOT be just mocks.

This is how my maths lessons usually go down, I have three separate teachers

Pure: We go through the power points from Dr Frost and then do the examples and then the teacher goes through them, she don't pick on someone tho, all she usually asks is what approach we would take (so basically what skills we will use), she never asks us to actually show our working.

Stats: She just goes through the Dr Frost power points and once again goes through the examples, she gets us to do the question first and then asks the whole class if we got to an answer and then goes through the working. We then do the questions from the Edexcel books but she never takes the work in, all she usually says is to email or drop a message on team if we need help.

Mechanics: We do worked examples and he will ask each of us at the start of the lesson to answer one of the started questions, but they are usually straightforward. We do these worksheets but he never takes them in but he does get us to upload working to our class notebook on Teams but that was only like 2 or 3 worksheets so I doubt he would be able to gauge how we are getting on from 2 or 3 worksheets.

My school just prioritised getting through content, we did little to no assessments and work was never taken in or looked at cuz of covid, even if work was submitted on our class notebook it was from ages ago (like October/ December time) so we would have made some form of improvements from then.

Quick Reply

Latest