The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

A lot of OU students denigrate brick uni students

I understand that many OU students face a lot of mocking because of where they study. Needless to say, that's wrong. That said, I do think many OU students are just as dismissive towards brick uni students. The common train of thought is that the OU is somehow "harder" because many OU students work full time.

I respect and admire anyone who works alongside study. That said, one cannot automatically assume that brick uni students don't have challenges of their own. Broken families, low-self esteem, health or other issues. Because someone at the OU works alongside their studies, doesn't mean they have a harder road than anyone else. Instead of an us vs. them mentality, why not support one another, regardless of the institution they chose?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I understand that many OU students face a lot of mocking because of where they study. Needless to say, that's wrong. That said, I do think many OU students are just as dismissive towards brick uni students. The common train of thought is that the OU is somehow "harder" because many OU students work full time.

I respect and admire anyone who works alongside study. That said, one cannot automatically assume that brick uni students don't have challenges of their own. Broken families, low-self esteem, health or other issues. Because someone at the OU works alongside their studies, doesn't mean they have a harder road than anyone else. Instead of an us vs. them mentality, why not support one another, regardless of the institution they chose?

yeah, so true. The lockdowns which we've faced over the past year have also shown brick-uni students what working digitally is like, giving them a bit of an idea of what it would be like to attend the OU.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2

I wouldn't be overly concerned about OU students looking down on others. OU students are drawn from such a wide cross section of society, you'll get all sorts of opinions on university life. Many students mix and match the OU with brick unis. They use Level 1 modules like a foundation year because you don't need GCSEs to study them and then apply to a brick uni. And some brick uni students who want to work full time or aren't enjoying the experience join the OU.

I did a degree at a brick uni as a school leaver and then much later, sessions at the OU. Both ways of studying have their challenges! When I was last with the OU 10 years ago, one of the main anxieties amongst students (who weren't being sponsored by their employer) was whether their qualifications would be recognised highly enough by employers. It was a lot of money to risk throwing down the drain and fees were a lot cheaper back then! You still see those same questions today.

OU enthusiasts can be a bit preachy sometimes as it can feel like an exclusive club where people discuss how they're squeezing their studies in-between managing work and family life. And because OU students are older on average they are sometimes bemused by the lofty career goals of the young school/brick uni students. All the talk about finding jobs paying £40/50k after graduation amuses me greatly! :smile: Yeah it happens but very rarely. I remember Robert Peston interviewing a couple of LSE students who were about to graduate and were going to walk into jobs in the City which were paying well above the average salary. He discussed with them the fact that they were going to earn more in relative terms after graduation than most people would ever earn. It was all put down to market forces! I noted they were 30ish though so I'm sure life experience helped get them their jobs too.

Anyway, I've rambled on a bit but yeah at the end of the day, a good education for all should be what all of us want as it will result in making all our lives better!
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3

You have brought up an interesting point! It does not matter whether one studies at a brick uni or at the OU, completing a degree or course requires hard work and dedication and we should support each other, not bring each other down.

Time some of these students did a bit of growing up. The thing is here that students don't have much life experience at this stage, and virtually the only thing they can (and often will) use as a weapon to attack other students is perceived university prestige and ranking, probably as a result of their own insecurities in themselves.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
I totally agree. Yeah I have heard some OU students be dismissive of brick students which really makes no sense.

At the end of the day, the OU is part of the collection of UK universities. We all have to work really hard to get our degrees.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending